2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Christine
This topic is about Christine
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > Christine

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3175 comments This thread is to discuss Christine by Stephen King.

Pages: 411 pages

Length: 1 Month (October)

Participants: Eirelyn, Trisha

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Sep 27, 2020 12:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Hey Eirelyn, long time! ;) How have you been?
When are you planning to start this one?

message 3: by Eirelyn (last edited Sep 29, 2020 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Haha, hey, Trisha! XD I actually already started it while waiting for my final September book hold to come through. But that one is in now so I'm taking a break from this one until I finish that one. I'm about 20% through Christine at the moment, and I plan to restart it towards the beginning of October (it'll be my 1st Oct. book). :D

message 4: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments OMG! Already started? I'm so upset, why didn't you tell me before?

Only kidding! I'm planning to start by next weekend if not sooner. Got a couple of books to finish before that! :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 02, 2020 04:12AM) (new)

Christine by Stephen King

I am going to read this for the October Buddy Reads with SarahKat.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments lol Trisha. XD I knew I wouldn't finish right away because I was still waiting for my final September book to come through. I am still working on that one because it came in sooo laaate! So I have put Christine on hold until I finish. I'm sure you'll catch up with (& probably pass) me by the time I restart! XD

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments @Debra, are you & SarahKat going to hang out in here & discuss with us too? :D

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

@Eirelyn, I would like to if that's ok. I love Stephen King. I just finished Sleeping Beauties for a TBR buddy read in September.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Absolutely! The more the merrier! :D I've been wanting to read Sleeping Beauties as well, but I had too many books already planned to join in the Buddy Read of it this year. Maybe next year!

message 10: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments I’m finally starting this tomorrow! Yay, I can’t keep calm, I love Stephen King!! ☠️

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Yay, Trisha! :D My ebook loan returned, so now I'm waiting for it again while I read one of my other Oct books, lol.

message 12: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Not a problem! This time around I am planning to read about 50-60 pages a day and fyi, my copy has over 600 pages. So I’ll take it slow!

Btw, if you find time, I’d like to read your views so far. Your posts are always so enlightening! :)

message 13: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Oct 20, 2020 11:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Heyy, although I started the book a week ago, I parked it after reading 60 pages and only picked it up yesterday. This is just the kind of book, the King of Horror is famous for. I have read till chapter 14.

Not a spoiler, just a comment on the writing and the overall stoy of the book: (view spoiler)

I do not have me iPad handy on which I'm reading my ebook; I have marked a few sections to discuss, will post something in the evening. :)

message 14: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Oct 28, 2020 06:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Hey Eirelyn, are you okay? Believe me, I went really slow and peeked into this thread every single day to check if you’re back, but even with that, I finished today. Can’t wait to talk to you about it!

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Aaahhh, so sorry, Trisha! I've been so MIA and haven't really been reading much. I've been so busy with other stuff (it's this time of year for me!). I re-checked out this one a couple days ago & am slowly working my way through it.

message 16: by Eirelyn (last edited Oct 28, 2020 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments I'm through ch. 22 so far and really liking it. It's definitely got a slow burn to it, which is fine by me. I like the build up. It hasn't been too...weird...yet so far, lol, which is also fine by me. XD I like the characters & am enjoying reading them. It just switched from Dennis's POV to Arnie's a couple chapters ago, so I'm getting used to the switch. I'm really interested to see where this goes.

(Also, I'm glad this thread will be open through Nov so we can continue to discuss. Sorry I've taken forever...)

message 17: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Hey, take your time! In fact, in case you are unable to finish by Nov 25th, let me know and I’ll extend the thread for you. We all have that time of the year! :)

Btw, your comment about the switch from Dennis’s POV to Arnie’s has gotten me a bit confused. The book is divided into 3 parts, so you’re now in part 2. I don’t think part 2 was from Arnie’s perspective; it was, in fact, from a third person point of view, you know the standard POV in fiction - when the reader is simply narrated a story and the narrator has complete access to the thoughts and experiences of all the characters in the book. (Copied this last sentence from Google to explain myself better!)

message 18: by Eirelyn (last edited Oct 29, 2020 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Thanks for understanding! :D I am about 62% of the way through now & really hoping to finish soon!

lol Yeah, I realized this after I posted my comment. That first scene in Part 2 was following Arnie at home (and the Part is named Arnie, after all, lol), so I mistakenly thought it was going to follow him exclusively like Part 1 had followed Dennis, but since that first scene, it has been bouncing around, following various characters. XD

Ah, Christine. She is a (view spoiler)

Also, I want to like (view spoiler)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Oh, and I agree with you about the style of this book. This is my first classic King book, and it is a lot different from the ones I'd read before (which have all been from the 21st century!).

I was really into that slow burn at the beginning, and how it felt dark without anything having happened yet. It was a great build-up!

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Arnie just got (view spoiler)

Also, I was just thinking about this while reading, but...I had a friend throughout school whose full first name was Christine...and her initials were CAR. We'd joke about that from time to time. lol Kind of spooky, though. XD

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Uh oh. (view spoiler)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments I'm through ch. 48 -- almost there!

Things are really heating up now. Dennis & Leigh (view spoiler)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments I finally finished a couple nights ago! I really liked this one. I've only read 3 Stephen King books in my life, but this has been my favorite so far. :D

Although, I was cringing a little when (view spoiler)

Also, as the story progressed, I felt (view spoiler)

All around, a great read! Sorry it took me so long to finish. It certainly had nothing to do with how well I liked the book. :D

message 24: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Eirelyn wrote: "Also, I want to like Arnie..."

I agree! (view spoiler)

message 25: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Eirelyn wrote: "I had a friend throughout school whose full first name was Christine...and her initials were CAR..."

Laughing out loud at your friend’s name! Creepy! 💀

message 26: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Eirelyn wrote: "Dennis & Leigh are starting to..."

I initially thought that it was in favour of Christine,(view spoiler)

message 27: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Eirelyn wrote: "I finally finished a couple nights ago! I really liked this one. I've only read 3 Stephen King books in my life, but this has been my favorite so far..."

I remember you read The Institute with me; which is the other King book that you’ve read? I have read some of his most famous works and I think this book was absolutely in line with those. Such gripping and vivid writing!

In response to your spoilers: (view spoiler)

Also, wasn’t there a message for all (view spoiler)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Yeah, the (view spoiler)

I agree about the whole LeBay/Christine thing. I was a little confused about that as well. It had been all Christine the whole novel and then suddenly they realized that (view spoiler)

The other King book I read was Cell. I really liked the beginning of it and the introduction of the characters, but as it went along, it took a turn I wasn't really fond of. Plus, I didn't like the ending at all.

Haha, yes, maybe (view spoiler)

Oh, that's so terrible about your friend! :( There is certainly a fine line between being protective & being overly protective/controlling. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Well-written, Eirelyn! Parenting is a tough job; I wonder how our parents did it. I don't have kids as of now, in fact, the very idea of raising kids scares me to the bone. Someday for sure, just not now! :)

Btw, I haven't read Cell yet, it's on my to-do. But looking at your feedback, I might push it down the list. ;)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Thanks. :D There was a lot to consider in this novel, developmentally & psychologically, for sure.

lol Whoops. Who knows -- maybe you'll like it better than I did? XD

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.