The Rebellious Readers discussion

Bookish > Underrated Books

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments Comment here any underrated book recommendations that you have :)

message 2: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments I totally recommend you read these books sien they are amazing and more people should read them:

Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody
Wicked Fox by Kat Cho
Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend
Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody
The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand
Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman

message 3: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Here are some underrated book series I’d recommend:

Waterfire Saga
The Medoran Chronicles
The Magisterium series
The Black Witch Chronicles
Nevermoor

message 4: by Daphne (new)

Daphne | 1 comments THE GIRL WITH THE RED BALLOON by Katherine Locke!!!!
You MUST check it out, it is an amazing book that hardly anyone knows about!

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) @ Amelie OMG THE MEDORAN CHRONICLES IS AWESOME!!!

message 6: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments @Rose IKR! It’s one of my favourite series ever! You’re the first person on GR I’ve met who actually likes it as well! It’s definitely a series that deserves more attention.

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) Yeah it was recommended to me by a friend on GR and I'm actually reading it right now. And falling in love with it

message 8: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Yay! I’m glad you’re liking it! :D

message 9: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Card (jayecard) Ill just drop Spellslinger here. Ive met one person who knows it, no one who has read it.

message 10: by Bumble (new)

Bumble Greenbriar (hernameiscrumpet) Nevermoor is just amazing 😍 it’s a middle grade fantasy that’s so hilarious and perfect, I recommend it to anyone

message 11: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments yes, i love nevermoor too!

message 12: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Same! I can’t wait to read Hollowpox!

message 13: by Bumble (new)

Bumble Greenbriar (hernameiscrumpet) I really need to read hollowpox it’s been on my tbr since it got released

message 14: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments wait, but hollowpox wasn't released yet. it will be out on the 15th of october if i remember correctly...

message 15: by Bumble (new)

Bumble Greenbriar (hernameiscrumpet) Oh I mean the news of its release date, should have rephrased that *facepalm*

message 16: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments oh lol

message 17: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments 😂 I preordered my copy of Hollowpox, and I’m impatiently waiting for it to arrive. I’ve already forgotten what happened in the previous two books, so I might need to reread them.

message 18: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Card (jayecard) I keep running into that same problem...Skulduggery Pleasant has always been the worst contender of that kind of thing for me. So many rereads...

message 19: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Yeah, though sometimes I just can’t be bothered to reread a book so I google Wikipedia plot summaries or book recaps instead. They’re surprisingly accurate and detailed though.

message 20: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Card (jayecard) been there, done that

message 21: by Bumble (new)

Bumble Greenbriar (hernameiscrumpet) I think we all have... it’s just too tempting lol

message 22: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Card (jayecard) I saw some people started reading manga here, so I thought I'd use the opportunity to point to a related medium I've been getting into, light novels. They're books with a bunch of often detailed illustrations, usually in an anime-ish style. And they're frequently, but not always, a bit on the shorter side, but with many volumes in the series. My current favourite is Ascendance of a Bookworm, which is about a book loving woman getting reborn into a fantasy world where books, due to lack of a printing press, are so rare and expensive that she can never afford one, so she tries to reinvent them with her knowledge of our world. I've never found anyone who has read it outside of designated LN groups, so I think it definitely qualifies as underrated.

I can also recommend some manga, if there's interest.