Skokie Public Library discussion

Mexican Gothic
This topic is about Mexican Gothic
Mexican Gothic Discussions > Question 7: Slow burn

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tiffany Breyne | 450 comments Some have described this book as a “slow burn,” building up slowly to the grand finale. Do you agree or disagree?

Lauren (theabelabelabel) | 9 comments I agree that this is a "slow burn" pace for the book. I appreciated how the author took time to build up the suspense, to slowly build up doubt in Noemi's ability to discern reality. You really got a sense for how she struggled to maintain her grip on why she was at High Place to begin with. As Noemi continued to doubt herself, I too began to doubt what I had read/heard. Maybe I was underestimating the story or jumping to conclusions that would not pan out. I enjoy a "slow burn" in a story and felt that this really benefitted Noemi's experience.

Tiffany Breyne | 450 comments I agree that it was a slow burn. I think, based on my lack of experience reading horror, it was a slower burn than I expected. Like I though it would be gory or creepy and scary from the get-go, possibly more like suspense. But the pace did match Noemi's experience, of doubt creeping slowly in and making you feel uncertainty just as she is feeling it.

Becca Boland | 922 comments Mod
I think slow burn is perfect for this book because it makes you feel like you're slowly going mad along with Noemi. If it happened quickly, you might not feel it as intensely. It wouldn't have time to seep into your bones.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 498 comments The "slow burn" element helps make the story "believable." You can't go directly from Point "Catarina's-in-laws-are-creepy-and- clearly-up-to-no-good" to Point "Howard-Doyle-is-hundreds-of-years-old-and-periodically-switches-bodies-and-controls-High-Place-and-all-within-with-his-evil-mushroom-power."

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 498 comments You have to gradually build to a place where that kind of thing makes sense.

@Andrew - or you could do it quickly and it would be a very different and completely bonkers book.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 498 comments Kind of a David Mitchell thing, maybe?

@Andrew - he's on my list but I haven't read him. Perhaps?

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 498 comments I was recently thinking about recommending Utopia Avenue to someone who enjoys classic rock.

"It's this really good novel about a British rock/folk group during the late 1960s. The characters are all really well-developed, it's clear that Mitchell did A LOT of research into the era, and the writing is great.
Also, one member of the band has an entity living in his brain that he refers to as 'Knock-Knock.' You see, he's the great-great-great grandson of the protagonist of one of Mitchell's other books..."

I decided not to.