Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - Group Reads > Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny - October 2020

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Sep 23, 2020 10:34AM) (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1293 comments Mod
Hello, fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers! This discussion is about Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny your discussion leader is Sheri.

Please note:If you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
Kingdom of the Blind (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #14) by Louise Penny

Summary

When a peculiar letter arrives inviting Armand Gamache to an abandoned farmhouse, the former head of the Sûreté du Québec discovers that a complete stranger has named him one of the executors of her will. Still on suspension, and frankly curious, Gamache accepts and soon learns that the other two executors are Myrna Landers, the bookseller from Three Pines, and a young builder.

None of them had ever met the elderly woman.

The will is so odd and includes bequests that are so wildly unlikely that Gamache and the others suspect the woman must have been delusional. But what if, Gamache begins to ask himself, she was perfectly sane?

When a body is found, the terms of the bizarre suddenly seem less peculiar and far more menacing.

But it isn't the only menace Gamache is facing.

The investigation into what happened six months ago—the events that led to his suspension—has dragged on, into the dead of winter. And while most of the opioids he allowed to slip through his hands, in order to bring down the cartels, have been retrieved, there is one devastating exception.

Enough narcotic to kill thousands has disappeared into inner-city Montréal. With the deadly drug about to hit the streets, Gamache races for answers.

As he uses increasingly audacious, even desperate, measures to retrieve the drug, Armand Gamache begins to see his own blind spots. And the terrible things hiding there.

message 2: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited Oct 02, 2020 04:06PM) (new)

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1558 comments Mod
Hello. I'm Sheri and the your discussion leader for book number 14 in the Inspector Gamache series. Follow the YouTube link to listen to the author discuss her book.

This one refers back, a little bit, to Glass Houses, but it won't be a problem to follow the story if you haven't read number 13.

Remember Amelia Choquet, an angry, tattooed, pierced cadet, that we first meet in A Great Reckoning? She's in trouble.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...

Let us all know if you find an interesting quote.

“There was grace in second chances and foolishness in third. And perhaps worse than foolishness.
There was, or could be, outright danger. Believing a person capable of redemption when they’d proven they were not.”

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Sheri, I like that quote. (view spoiler)

Nancy totally agree about the corruption storyline.

"a matter of inches between safe and sorry"

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the quote Armand tells to those who come work for him. “Four statements that lead wisdom. I don’t know. I need help. I was wrong. I’m sorry”

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

So.. (view spoiler)

Nancy wrote: "I like the quote Armand tells to those who come work for him. “Four statements that lead wisdom. I don’t know. I need help. I was wrong. I’m sorry”"

I like those too.

I'm kind of sick with all the bad stuff at The Sûreté being blamed on Armand.

Nancy wrote: "So.. [spoilers removed]"

Did you figure out the little girl?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Sheri, I finished the book.

(view spoiler)

I am not sure I like the Amelia character...trying too much to be Lisbeth Salander

Thank goodness for the grandson, otherwise (view spoiler)

I am also sick of Armand being blamed for everything at the Surete.

message 12: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited Oct 16, 2020 07:00PM) (new)

I finished too. I liked it a lot except for a few things. I wrote a review.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

(view spoiler)

Your time line is interesting. I'd never thought of it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Sheri wrote: "I finished too. I liked it a lot except for a few things. I wrote a review.

[spoilers removed]

Your time line is interesting. I'd never thought o..."

I like your review. It was spot on.

message 14: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 213 comments I always enjoy the characters in this series. I don't like to read the books too close together - I have to let some water go under the bridge.

I can't keep track of Armand's timeline in his career, but I'm more aware of the passing of time with Isabelle and Jean-Guy and their battles and recovery. I do get tired of reliving the warehouse drama, but I realise it's necessary for any readers who begin in the middle of the series.

I did write a review with no spoilers.

Nice review Patty. Gamache has done some great stuff for the Sûreté but boy what a risk he and Amelia took this time.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kingdom of the Blind (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Louise Penny (other topics)