What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Sci-fi Book/Trilogy - Caravan of Ships depart Earth

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ZenMomColorado (new)

ZenMomColorado Alisa Burcham | 1 comments This is a sci-fi trilogy I ready in about 2010. I got the books at a used book store, and based on the condition of the books I believe they were written sometime in the preceding 25 years. (1980-2005 most likely)

Cover of the first book is black/view of a blue-ish planet from space.

The trilogy starts in earth near future. In the first book they are sending a group of ships from earth to another galaxy/planet. The people who are included as passengers are chosen because of their professional abilities or because of something notable they've done/accomplished.

The ships are in orbit around earth, and the supplies for the ships are packed in big parcels then launched into space. The unmanned parcels are propelled into space from a launch pad on the ground, that makes a loud boom sound as they are launched. This launching continues 24/7 for weeks while they are stocking the ships/preparing to leave.

The book's main character plays guitar and sings (although music is more of his hobby, not his primary career.) He writes a song about the impending trip, then when he performs the song he gets the attention of the space administration, who then put him on the list of people to be included as passengers on the space ships. (because in writing and performing the song he has done something notable) - He ends up with a seat on one of the ships and decides to go.

The song he wrote is called "Caravan to (name-of-planet)" I believe it was "Caravan to Arcturus" or something like that - it was not actually "Arcturus," but it was a similar word. I am pretty sure it started with an A. Had c's and an r.

Important: Even though the lyrics to the entire song are included in the book, the word Caravan is not in the title of the book.

There were 3 books in the trilogy when I read it. The Trilogy itself was called something that [I think] started with a T... The T_____ Series or the T_____ Trilogy. I don't remember the author's name. I had all three books in paperback (but not mass market paperback). The were not long titles, 1-3 words.

The final book of the trilogy they arrive at a planet that didn't believe in giving their inhabitants aids for any impairment. For example, if the person was born with or developed poor eye sight, they were not given eye glasses. The people on the planet believed it was part of the Darwinian selection/survival of the fittest type of thing.

Thank you in advance for helping. I lost the books in a move and just have not been able to place them. It's driving me crazy :)

message 2: by Les (new)

Les Foster | 11 comments Hi,
While I do not know this one, here are some things I think might help. Sorry if you'd thought of this.
- Recall one title, and you can lookup the rest.
- Any details (like spaceship names, character names) can help do a search.
- Was this a top-10 or awarded series? That will put it on more lists.

Maybe more questions will jog your memory:
- Why were they leaving Earth?
- Was there some crisis driving they away?
- Why did they choose the destination?

You could also try and think through combinations of letters starting with T. Ta- Te- Ti- To- Th- Tr- Tw- Tu- or whatever. Or, maybe T is a red herring, and it's really St, At, etc.

Here are some words starting with T that could appear in Sci-Fi (probably way off, but here goes):

Takeoff Terraform Transearth Transfer Terran Terrestrial Touchdown
Tomorrow Total Truth/True Titan Torus Troop Trip Trek Track
Travel Tree Through Terrarium Toward Tower Talent

I hope this helps.

message 3: by Les (new)

Les Foster | 11 comments Here's another thought. The description of this Anne McCaffrey trilogy sounds like it could be your books: "The Talents Saga". You did not mention psychic ability, however. https://www.amazon.com/Ride-Pegasus-T...

Justanotherbiblophile | 1779 comments Les wrote: "The Talents Saga".

I don't feel that the Talents Saga is a good fit. Spaceships were launched with telekinesis (once they got rolling) and had FTL.

message 5: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4248 comments The Quiet Pools? It doesn't appear to be trilogy, but I found mentions of "Christopher McCutcheon, a project worker and folk singer" and his song "Caravan to Antares".

message 6: by Kris (last edited Oct 26, 2020 02:40PM) (new)

Kris | 35366 comments Mod
ZenMomColorado, that's a good start, but we need more information in the header at the top of the page. Many members only read the headers. We have thousands of book requests.

Copy more plot details from your message #1 to the header by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)