2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

First Blood (D.I. Kim Stone #0)
This topic is about First Blood
First Blood > Question O

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6267 comments Mod
The author hasn’t divulged Bryant’s first name. Why do you think she decided not to:

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 720 comments I noticed that as well. When I am reading series I often make notes about the characters and went searching for Bryant's first name and it definitely was not divulged. Maybe it's like a Roarke thing. Strong character that is defined by his surname. Or at a specific time in the series it will be revealed, maybe in an emotional moment between Kim and Bryant.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6267 comments Mod
I’d like to ask the author why because it seems deliberate.

FYI, the character list is in the pinned topic.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 770 comments Lisa, your comment is very intriguing -- even someone something like a Roarke would be fascinating.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2019 comments Interesting comments. I thought it was because of the para-military aspect of the police department. Bryant is the way he is addressed by everyone.

The reason we know Stacey and Dawson's first name is because we get a glimpse of their personal life. Kevin Dawson is a jerk and user of women and co-workers. He doesn't deserve the respect of Dawson alone all the time. It reminds me of a parent who is angry with their child and uses their full name to let the kid know s/he is in trouble.

Stacey uses her full name when introducing herself. I'm Stacy Wood Constable instead of Constable Wood. It makes her more friendly and approachable. She identifies with Stacey so the others are more informal with her.

Bryant knows who he is DS Bryant. That is the career he wants and he is happy to stay in that position. He is older than the rest of the team too. He is married 25 years. He has to be in his forties so Bryant shows a level of respect.

It is interesting that Jenny didn't call him by his first name when they spoke. I guess Marsons wants to convey something different about him to the reader.

message 6: by Sandra (last edited Sep 24, 2020 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 166 comments Mod
I was curious about this as I noted that he's not called by a first name. Even in conversations between just him & Kim. Interesting.

Lynn (ftbooklover) | 559 comments Jonetta wrote: "I’d like to ask the author why because it seems deliberate.

FYI, the character list is in the pinned topic."

If it is deliberate, it will be interesting to find out why. There are so many questions that are raised by this story. It makes me excited to read the next one.

Robin (robinmy) | 1419 comments This reminds me of Kramer on Seinfeld. We didn't know his first name for several years.