2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

First Blood (D.I. Kim Stone #0)
This topic is about First Blood
First Blood > Question L

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6199 comments Mod
Turns out that Marianne was running a blackmail scheme to fund her shelters. Your thoughts about what she did? Were her shelters making a difference? Is it a bittersweet outcome that she’s facing charges that will probably lead to the closing of her shelters?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 711 comments It was quite a red herring that the author planted the seed that Marianne was in fact orchestrating the murders. So when it was a lesser crime of blackmail it was a bit of a twist. Two wrongs don't make a right... blackmailing was never going to be the right way to finance her shelters. And now the consequences have to be faced. It's sad for the women and children utilising the shelters though as the shelter did seem to be making a difference in their lives.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6199 comments Mod
Marianne herself was still damaged. As much good as she was doing, she was also inflicting harm because she wasn’t qualified to judge. She supported that Lambert fool who falsely accused her husband of child abuse only to shield her own drug use. And, she turned poor Hayley back out into the streets when it’s a common occurrence for women to return to their abusers. Hayley might still be alive if not for Marianne.

So, I’ve mixed feelings. Marianne’s blackmail was insidious given that she was the one propositioning these men. Plus, it was a horrible way to support these women. With that said, it leaves a vacuum.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2004 comments Marianne's desire to do good is overshadow by her many bad actions. I wasn't a fan of hers from the start. When I changed my mind about her being the killer, she still gave off bad vibes. It did surprise me that she was propositioning her targets to blackmail them though.