Horror Aficionados discussion

Carrion Comfort
This topic is about Carrion Comfort
Group Reads > October 2020 Group Read #1: CARRION COMFORT, Dan Simmons

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6151 comments Mod
Our members have spoken, and the first of our group reads for October will be CARRION COMFORT, by Dan Simmons!

Remember to use spoiler tags and percentages/chapters as needed.

Have fun!

Lena | 2465 comments Oh wow guys, this was an epic read! Congratulations on the stellar choice!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Y’all enjoy!! I won’t have time for a reread!

message 4: by Montzalee (new)

Montzalee Wittmann (montziew) | 57 comments The kindle ebook is on sale for $2.99 right now!

message 5: by Montzalee (new)

Montzalee Wittmann (montziew) | 57 comments I read this decades ago and I hate to re-read but it really has been over 30 yrs so for $3, and a good book, good GR friends...I will re-read! 😘

Shannon Blanchard | 2 comments Yay!!! Thanks for selecting my nomination! 🥰🥰🤗🤗

Phil | 101 comments It is a great read-- may have to reread it!

message 8: by Krystal (new) - added it

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 771 comments Damn you vampire lovers XD I'm gonna sit this one out and find a werewolf book to read instead haha

message 9: by Lena (last edited Sep 23, 2020 08:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 10: by Krystal (new) - added it

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 771 comments Lena wrote: "My werewolf loving friend, I recommend Those Across the River
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

That one does sound really good! I think I might go with one of the runner ups though - Undertaker's Moon is looking good!

message 11: by Luke (new)

Luke (ljuke) Hi everybody! This will be my first group read. Also my first Dan Simmons book. Very excited to be reading with you all.

Patrick (wingkon) | 4 comments This is probably my favorite horror book. It's so epic and fun to read.

message 13: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg | 14 comments My favorite horror novel of all time!

message 14: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil | 101 comments Just read a great werewolf story BTW The Beast Within if you have an interest Krystal! I gave my copy of Carrion Comfort to my sister a decade ago or so, but just ordered another copy!

message 15: by Krystal (new) - added it

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 771 comments Phil wrote: "Just read a great werewolf story BTW The Beast Within if you have an interest Krystal! I gave my copy of Carrion Comfort to my sister a decade ago or so, but just ordered another copy!"

This sounds great, thanks! :)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11076 comments Mod
Lena wrote: "My werewolf loving friend, I recommend Those Across the River
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

this is my favorite audio book at the moment. I LOVE this one. and i'm not event hat big of a werewolf fan.

i'll be doing the audio book for this one. not even gonna read what it's about. i want to be totally surprised.

message 18: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2465 comments Lol, we read it in Castle Dracula Latasha!

Carrion Comfort? I didn’t read it with them or it was before my time.

message 20: by Kasia (last edited Sep 26, 2020 09:01AM) (new) - added it

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3526 comments Mod
Carrion Comfort has been on my TBR for ages, ugh, might try to squeeze it in :)

Just checked amazon when i bought it lol,
You last purchased this item on April 14, 2010.
View this order

But I see the Kindle version is $2.99 right now so I might grab a copy, the paperback I got was used and kind of dinged up.

message 21: by M.E. (new) - rated it 2 stars

M.E. | 409 comments I'm up to chapter 4 at this point. This doorstop is starting out really strong, but I'm already glad I'm taking notes on who is who.

I love a book with a body count of 125+ in the prologue and first three chapters. This is a fun one so far!

Shannon | 55 comments I've been wanting to read this for so long! I really loved Summer of Night, so I'm excited to be reading something else from him. I'm going to try my best to keep up with you all. The audiobook is 39 hours long and October is going to be pretty busy, but I'm gonna try! :)

Kasia wrote: "Carrion Comfort has been on my TBR for ages, ugh, might try to squeeze it in :)

Just checked amazon when i bought it lol,
You last purchased this item on April 14, 2010.
View this order

But I s..."

This sounds like how I shop!!!! I may try to squeeze a re-read of these in...

message 24: by Netanella (new) - added it

Netanella | 186 comments Carrion Comfort has been on my TBR pile for way too long, so this is a perfect time to catch a classic...

message 25: by Kasia (new) - added it

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3526 comments Mod
M.E. wrote: "I'm up to chapter 4 at this point. This doorstop is starting out really strong, but I'm already glad I'm taking notes on who is who.

I love a book with a body count of 125+ in the prologue and fir..."

At 800+ pages it a definite Hodor.

Maribel Tostado | 9 comments Read this a while back very EPIC book by Simmons....recently read The Terror another excellent book by him. Probably due for a re-read.

message 27: by Netanella (new) - added it

Netanella | 186 comments Yea, I just saw that page count. Now I realize why it's been on that TBR for so long....

message 28: by M.E. (new) - rated it 2 stars

M.E. | 409 comments Kasia wrote: "...At 800+ pages it a definite Hodor..."

Haha, that it is!

message 29: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil | 101 comments Just got a new copy in the mail today! I think I read this last about 20 years or so ago-- great introduction to Simmons who really is quite a writer!

message 30: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 2465 comments 02176092-6450-4-A0-C-81-A4-3470-BF7-DE873
That’s why I thought you had read it with me, lol. I went back through my comments of our group read, apparently there is a dramatic shower scene that I have since forgotten about. I will count on you guys reminding me.

Jennifer | 402 comments Oh jeez, I love Dan Simmons and have had this book for ages but keep skipping past it as it's so massive!!

Now's the time to finally read it!

message 32: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil | 101 comments Great intro in the 20 anniversary edition! Hard to imagine Simmons as a struggling author, but this was his second novel!

message 33: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil | 101 comments I am about 300 pages into it so far and loving it! Simmons, along with GRRM Fevre Dream, McCammon They Thirst, Skipp and SpectarThe Light at the End reinvigorated the vampire genre in the 80s, each in their own way. CC feels more like an action adventure thusfar; so well written I still cannot believe it is his second novel.

message 34: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil | 101 comments Long, but so worth it! Just finished it and am still in a fugue!

that's great Phil! i can't wait to get started on this one.

Shannon | 55 comments Phil wrote: "Long, but so worth it! Just finished it and am still in a fugue!"

Dang, that was fast!! Glad you liked it! :)

I'm about halfway done with chapter 16, and so far I'm really liking it! This is only the second book I've read by him, but I love how easy it is to slip into his stories.

message 37: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil | 101 comments He definitely can tell a great story! I was a little mixed on some of his later works, but his early horror and scifi is top rate!

Alabama Vee (alabamavee) | 114 comments This has been on my TBR for ages and I have also been scared of the page count but think now might be the time, am encouraged by everyone loving it.

the audio book is 40 hours long. so i'll start it on monday and it will last me all week.

message 40: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg | 382 comments Read this one last year. I enjoyed it a lot but it really is a “different” type of vampire novel. I hope everyone enjoys it as well. The only other Simmon’s Novel I read was also for this group, The Terror, an excellent winter horror story.

Greg wrote: "Read this one last year. I enjoyed it a lot but it really is a “different” type of vampire novel. I hope everyone enjoys it as well. The only other Simmon’s Novel I read was also for this group, Th..."

This one is one I read a few years back, and it certainly was unique!

I really liked the terror too.

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 184 comments Just started this yesterday. Only my second read by Dan Simmons. I really enjoyed The Terror.

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 429 comments I love this book, I would like to join the read along, but I re-read this book a couple of years ago and there's so many thing on my tbr right now. Summer of Night, Fires of Eden, and Drood are also really good.

Daniel James | 62 comments I never read Drood, but Carrion and Summer of Night both floored me as a kid, and by that I don't mean their generous size hit me in the head. Both awesome books!

Daniel James | 62 comments And A Winter's Haunting was a solid, and very unexpected sequel to Summer.

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 429 comments Daniel wrote: "And A Winter's Haunting was a solid, and very unexpected sequel to Summer."

I agree.

Started this today, 7 something hours down, 33 more to go.

Shannon | 55 comments I loved Summer of Night! I definitely plan on going back and finishing that series.

I'm about halfway through chapter 36.

Do not read until you've read Chapter 33! :) (view spoiler)

Jennifer | 402 comments I'm just about to start Chapter 15. Quite a slow burn up to now but the book is hoooge so it's expected.

I'm really enjoying it so far! How's it going for everyone else?

I wonder why he keeps writing Maria Chen rather than just Maria? That would shave 20 or so pages off the total length

« previous 1