Discovering Russian Literature discussion

GENERAL TOPICS > help find the book

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elena (new)

Elena (elenaalp) | 4 comments Hello, I am new here. I am in US. I have a question. I've read a book that i loved but unfortunately can't recall the title or the author. This is what i posted on "Find that book" with no results:
"The book is written in Russian. Read about 5 years ago. Russian contemporary. Girl meets a young man, He is an enigma, had achievements in different sciences, has a lot of connections and respect of prominent people. He is on a level of a genius Becomes her boyfriend, wants to make her an ambitious achiever and leads her in research. Manipulates and controls her to the point of her disregarding everything else. Makes her believe it is a competition between the 2 of them and keeps pushing her towards the resolution which is sort of known to him.
By the end of the book she solves the (whatever she tries to solve) and the problem/project is resolved. She ends up being spent and disillusioned, they break up. I think the book might have been nominated for something.
Thanks for all your Guys help! Best, -Elena (less)

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna  | 3 comments Perhaps The Women of Lazarus by Marina Stepnova....

message 3: by Elena (new)

Elena (elenaalp) | 4 comments Anna wrote: "Perhaps The Women of Lazarus by Marina Stepnova...."
Thanks Anna, but no. The author is male btw

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna  | 3 comments Elena wrote: "Anna wrote: "Perhaps The Women of Lazarus by Marina Stepnova...."
Thanks Anna, but no. The author is male btw"

do you know about when a book could be published?

message 5: by Elena (new)

Elena (elenaalp) | 4 comments My best estimate between early 2000s and 2014. I probably got the recommendation from either some US article on contemporary Russian fiction or from some long or short nomination list from Russia. I was very impressed with the book so my thinking was that enough Russian language readers would have read it.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna  | 3 comments The story seems be familiar to me too. I'm sure I haven't read it, but I've come across it somewhere.
I will look for more of the awarded books.

message 7: by Elena (new)

Elena (elenaalp) | 4 comments thanks Ann, I appreciate that, -Elena

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Tracey | 4 comments Hi there, Sandy again. Just realized I didn't mention Nabokov. I was thrilled when I found this group!

message 9: by Alan (new)

Alan | 22 comments I’m trying to find a short novel,translated into English about a mother during the years of the purges who keeps trying to find information about her son who has disappeared. Famous work..title?