Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Quarantine Tuesday Reading Kaffeeklatsch - 9/22/2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Sep 22, 2020 10:28AM) (new)

Theresa | 7822 comments Politics just gets worse and worse. So....

Weather in NYC is gorgeous ...cool and sunny! I am spending more time outside taking frequent breaks to walk and go into Central Park.

Time to check in on everyone's pets...is everyone out of their Cone of Shame? Leaving incisions alone?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9071 comments Our friends told us that when their puppy got spayed, they put the puppy in some kind of a zip suit. So that the puppy didn’t need a cone. Couldn’t reach the stitches. We are going to do this when we have to spray Rosie in November. I meant to tell you guys that the cone has an alternative. Pajama suits for dogs.

message 3: by Joanne (last edited Sep 22, 2020 06:28AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8102 comments @ Amy-wondering how long it will take Rosie to chew through the fabric-😂-I would bet Miss Lola would have it off and in pieces within the hour...

Theresa-Miss Lola no longer wears the cone, now we are at the stage of trying to teach an old dog new tricks-She has a habit of charging out the back door and leaping off the back porch-We have to now walk her to the steps before letting her go and telling her "easy"-She is not liking that, at all.

Michigan has entered the nice Fall weather-I love this time of year, but know what is on the other side and am dreading that.
Natalie and i are thinking of setting up a "back porch" in the basement😁

message 4: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3018 comments Amy wrote: "Our friends told us that when their puppy got spayed, they put the puppy in some kind of a zip suit. So that the puppy didn’t need a cone. Couldn’t reach the stitches. We are going to do this when ..."

When one of my corgis got a bad laceration on his side (probably from trying to get over the fence to chase a squirrel) he couldn't tolerate a cone. It so terrified him, he might have had the stitches out just trying to escape it. I bought a thundershirt. It covered the stitches and calmed him down at the same time.
But I'm not sure it would provide the correct coverage when you have your pup neutered.

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1624 comments Colonoscopy went fine! I'm a bit annoyed that he didn't find anything that explained my symptoms so it's going to be a situation of... we diagnose you with x because in our testing we couldn't find, a, b, or c. Sigh... so frustrating and puts me back where I was.

Bender has a habit of rubbing his face on things and it has aggravated his staples. Husband refuses to put the cone on him.. sigh. Bender is his dog since before we got together so I'm just letting them figure things out.

We put the blow up cone on Doug last night since he has been bothering his paws and it was a mess. First he tried to take it off and then he "forgot" how to walk with it. My husband immediately took it off of him.

All I can do is shake my head at my bleeding heart husband. Luckily I'm here all day, so I can try to keep an eye on our miscreants.

I'm off to do focus on interview prep!! I'm writing up scenarios and then cross referencing them to potential questions and Amazon leadership principles. 3 days to interview day!!!!

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6179 comments Charlotte wrote: "I'm off to do focus on interview prep!! I'm writing up scenarios and then cross referencing them to potential questions and Amazon leadership principles. 3 days to interview day!!!! "

You go, girl!

message 7: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1500 comments Charlotte wrote: "Colonoscopy went fine! I'm a bit annoyed that he didn't find anything that explained my symptoms so it's going to be a situation of... we diagnose you with x because in our testing we couldn't find..."

Charlotte,
Since I've had a dog fight wearing a cone, I understand how frustrating it can be. Hope the healing goes well.
Wishing you good luck and a good outcome for your job interview!

message 8: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2283 comments Sorry to hear that news Charlotte - about your testing. I have a very good friend here who is going through her third Cancer diagnosis. She went for a bone biopsy, which is where they think this cancer is located and found nothing but started her on chemo anyway - they just can't target it. Getting a negative report is not always good.

I haven't had to fight off depression much during this pandemic but on the 20th I had a tough day. It was my son's 48th birthday and we haven't been able to see him and his family is such a long time. I kept seeing pictures over the week from two years ago when we spent 3 weeks with them in CO and it coincided with his birthday. Along with bringing a smile, it brought a thump to my heart and I just struggled with everything all day.

As for fall - the last two days have been lovely with Florida lows starting the morning in low 70s and not getting much higher than 82! Just lovely. I got out to work in the yard, took a walk outside and met outside with my quilting group at the pavilion without cooking in the heat, humidity and sun. Very nice indeed. It has really helped with my attitude adjustment. :-)

message 9: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1571 comments Today's my birthday. I miss seeing my family but it's been a good day. My fiance made me breakfast. I got cider and donuts by drive through pickup at the local cider mill. My aunt sent me balloons, my sister sent me a cake and my mom sent me flowers. We're ordering delivery for dinner from one of my favorite restaurants. For a birthday in the era of covid not bad at all.

message 10: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1624 comments Rachel N. wrote: "Today's my birthday. I miss seeing my family but it's been a good day. My fiance made me breakfast. I got cider and donuts by drive through pickup at the local cider mill. My aunt sent me balloons,..."

Happy Birthday!!!!

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8102 comments Happy Birthday Rachel!

message 12: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1500 comments So nice to be surprised! Happy Birthday to you!

message 13: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 976 comments Happy birthday Rachel!

A little update from me: I'm recovered from covid, only symptoms were headaches and feeling tired. I'm out of isolation as of yesterday and back to work, and I did not spread it to anyone, which is great.

In our house we only have one small fur baby (a guinea pig) that we look after for a friend, and reptiles: a Russian tortoise and two bearded dragons. They're all in good health. The guinea pig is old and lazy (that is, enjoying retirement), and content with life. I will see about pictures :)

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7301 comments Amy wrote: "Our friends told us that when their puppy got spayed, they put the puppy in some kind of a zip suit. So that the puppy didn’t need a cone. Couldn’t reach the stitches. We are going to do this when ..."

I have never heard of a zip suit, but this sounds more comfortable for the dog than the cone, especially for sleeping.

message 16: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7301 comments Rachel N. wrote: "Today's my birthday. I miss seeing my family but it's been a good day. My fiance made me breakfast. I got cider and donuts by drive through pickup at the local cider mill. My aunt sent me balloons,..."

message 17: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7301 comments Charlotte wrote: "Colonoscopy went fine! I'm a bit annoyed that he didn't find anything that explained my symptoms so it's going to be a situation of... we diagnose you with x because in our testing we couldn't find..."

I am sorry that you don't have answers. I don't know the details so don't know if it is still cancer because the body is not simple! I hope you find the answers you need to explain your symptoms.

message 18: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1624 comments Karin wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "Colonoscopy went fine! I'm a bit annoyed that he didn't find anything that explained my symptoms so it's going to be a situation of... we diagnose you with x because in our testin..."

It's not cancer. The easy diagnosis is IBS... IBS is the fall back if your body can't digest food easily and they can't figure out what it is.

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Coppens | 372 comments Hello everyone. I have been having a hard time dealing with everything going on in this country. I've kind of been playing ostrich and trying to ignore what's been going on. It was my granddaughters 3rd birthday and hubby and I celebrated with her on Sunday. It was definitely the pick me up that I needed. I just love that age group and she and my 1 year old grandson are so fun to be with.

Charlotte I'm sorry you didn't get any answers- so frustrating. Good luck with your job search!

Rachel, Happy Birthday!

message 20: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7822 comments Rachel N. wrote: "Today's my birthday. I miss seeing my family but it's been a good day. My fiance made me breakfast. I got cider and donuts by drive through pickup at the local cider mill. My aunt sent me balloons,..."

Happy Birthday! What a lovely celebration you have had!

message 21: by Theresa (last edited Sep 22, 2020 04:56PM) (new)

Theresa | 7822 comments @Charlotte - I have a close friend who's dealt with digestive issues all her life and can absolutely appreciate what you are going through as a result of knowing her. But so excited about your upcoming interview! And think it is hilarious what a softy your husband is vis. the fur babies. Fingers crossed that between the 2 of you and your vigilance, all goes well without the Cones of Shame being in use.

@Joanne - teaching Miss Lola to walk sedately down the steps as opposed to leaping? You needed a challenge in your life, right? Have you thought about a portable ramp or gating the top of the steps so someone has to let her walk down -- she thus doesn't have a running start? I also totally approve setting up the Winter Porch in the basement!

@Cheryl - I can totally understand where you have been emotionally and mentally. Plus pandemic restrictions have basically turned me into both a hermit and a slug -- although with the press of work in my life, I'm not exactly cut off from people. At all. I could use more silence in my life! I'm really trying to boost the energy and not spend so much time glued to the phone and computer working.

Today I only had time to run out for 10 minutes to find a mailbox to mail something - and I totally forgot to don a mask! Seriously! I mean, there are several hanging from the doorknob of my apartment door! I only figured it out a block from my apartment. Fortunately there was no one around in my building or in the elevator and I was quite distant from anyone on the street. But I forgot a mask!!!!!

Crazy.

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6179 comments @Theresa ... two weeks ago I forgot to put the clean masks back in the car after laundering them. Didn't realize until I had arrived at the store and reached up to the visor to grab my mask and grabbed nothing but air. S*I*G*H Fortunately they had paper masks they would give out for such emergencies.

@Rachel - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

@Cheryl - I totally hear you, Cheryl. The inability to see my family has been the hardest part of this pandemic. And not knowing WHEN I'll be able to see them again just makes it worse.

However ... Sunday I got a nice surprise. My youngest brother and his wife were driving their youngest daughter back to Chicago for university. He called me Sunday afternoon while they were unpacking in the dorm room and asked if I would be available for a little visit. Bro and s-i-law drove up from Chicago that afternoon (a 2.5 hr drive), and had dinner with us before driving back. Of course he'd already driven from Texas, so what's another 2.5 hours?! And yes, I hugged him! (They also stopped in Memphis to visit with our other brother on the drive up...)

That little visit really boosted my spirits and I think it will see me through for a while.

message 23: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6513 comments Happy birthday, Rachel!

message 24: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Happy Birthday Rachel!

Charlotte - Take the good news. But I share your frustration as I had to have two of those tests a year apart, with no clear answers. Good luck on the interview!

Re family visits. I'm glad for those of you who have had family visits. I've been waiting a long time for my sibs to visit, and my sis might be here in a few days. My mom got up at 5am to clean her room - which means taking things out of drawers, moving things around, and then going to do something else. Usually I end up putting things away so I can clean the surfaces.

My update - My husband tells me that I've been talking - or rather teaching - in my sleep. This morning I was teaching someone how to do a good performance appraisal. I haven't taught that in 10 years, but it was a core topic in my management training seminars and HR courses earlier in my life. I can't think of what could have triggered that.

I also said "I love my husband." He said he was wondering if there was going to be a "but, he....." but I stopped there. It's a good thing I'm not having an affair! He finds it all very entertaining. It's not the first time apparently.

So what is my subconscious telling me?

message 25: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Johanne - I'm so glad your covid symptoms were easy to handle!

message 26: by Sallys (new)

Sallys | 311 comments Charlotte- My sisters been struggling with digestive problems all summer. She has a history of cancer so they wouldn't schedule her colonoscopy until she got clearance from her other doctors. They gave her a Total run around. Doctor don't even talk to patients. Everything is done through My Chart.

message 27: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 976 comments NancyJ wrote: "Johanne - I'm so glad your covid symptoms were easy to handle!"

Thanks Nancy :)

message 28: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8102 comments @Nancy, I am no psychologist-however, I thought maybe that dream and the "but" that was missing was something like "but I wish I could go back to work". I know if I were saying it that's what it would be for me-LoL

message 29: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Joanne wrote: "@Nancy, I am no psychologist-however, I thought maybe that dream and the "but" that was missing was something like "but I wish I could go back to work". I know if I were saying it that's what it wo..."

True. On the one hand it's nice to live like we're retired, but I need to do something productive. I could live 20-30 more years!

message 30: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7822 comments @NancyJ - your dreams and talking are hilarious! I think it means you really want to go back to work!

message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9071 comments Sending love and blessings to everyone....

If you want to send a prayer our way, I am announcing that the SAT is on for tomorrow, and a week from tomorrow. Finally, it looks like this is it!!!!!! Any best wishes for confidence, strength, and success are welcome! And naturally mine for all of you!

message 32: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8102 comments White light Karma shining your way Amy

message 33: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 976 comments Good vibes coming from across the pond <3

message 34: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Hey, did you all know that there is a medication (a pill!) for female pattern hair loss? I finally went to a dermatologist today for my thinning hair, and she sent me for blood work (hormone tests) to confirm it. I'm so excited, but I'm mad I didn't know about this before this. I've been asking my primary about it for several years (and it's pretty easy to see). (She didn't catch my thyroid problem either, so I need to find a new doctor.) My hair loss is one of the reasons I haven't minded being stuck at home for the last 3 years. Now there's hope!

message 35: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments OK Amy. Good luck to him!

message 36: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Is anyone else having trouble EDITING gr comments? It started yesterday.

message 37: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 976 comments Someone else commented about it somewhere. It's a GR glitch and they're apparently working on it.

message 38: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 976 comments Hey, fun fact time! A patron asked today how many books are at the library I work at. I made a search that shows all items (so also dvd's, magazines etc.) and it's 511.888. That's quite a lot.

message 39: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Johanne wrote: "Hey, fun fact time! A patron asked today how many books are at the library I work at. I made a search that shows all items (so also dvd's, magazines etc.) and it's 511.888. That's quite a lot."

Wow that is a lot!! Are you at a large central library, or a smaller branch? I can't even imagine how many would be at my branch.

message 40: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1624 comments NancyJ wrote: "Hey, did you all know that there is a medication (a pill!) for female pattern hair loss? I finally went to a dermatologist today for my thinning hair, and she sent me for blood work (hormone tests)..."

Hair loss is so annoying... I had it happen to me when I lost two brothers last year and escalations at work. Part of the reason I went with a pixie cut up until quarantine. I had a ton of super short hair. It's growing in so thick now, so I'm hoping I can keep my stress under control.

I know a lot of people have digestive issues that are a bit of a mystery. I read an article where some of it might never get a ton of research on it because it's not life threatening.

I'm lucky that my dr is even responsive on my chart. Makes it so much easier, I can just email instead of going in and if it's something his nurse can't handle, then he'll respond. I'm really lucky in terms of healthcare providers.

message 41: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 976 comments It's a large central library on the outskirts of Copenhagen. We have interlibrary responsibilities which mean we have books some other libraries don't. We do have a lot of books.
Here's a pic: https://images.app.goo.gl/XD4UsWWgqVQ...

message 42: by Robin P (last edited Sep 25, 2020 12:37PM) (new)

Robin P | 2014 comments NancyJ wrote: "Is anyone else having trouble EDITING gr comments? It started yesterday."

Yes, it still wasn't fixed when I checked earlier today. After messing around for a while, I finally found the Help site part of GR and eventually a message saying they are working on it. A big pain for anyone trying to update challenges or lists.

Test to see if it's working now

message 43: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8102 comments NancyJ wrote: "Hey, did you all know that there is a medication (a pill!) for female pattern hair loss? I finally went to a dermatologist today for my thinning hair, and she sent me for blood work (hormone tests)..."

A good friend of mine has used it-with good results!

message 44: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8102 comments Johanne wrote: "It's a large central library on the outskirts of Copenhagen. We have interlibrary responsibilities which mean we have books some other libraries don't. We do have a lot of books.
Here's a pic: htt..."

Oh, lovely! Are all the offices on the 2nd level? Makes for more floor/book space!

message 45: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 976 comments Most of the offices are on 2nd level, but there are some on the 1st. Mine is on the 1st, you have to enter a narrow space between shelves to get there :)
There is a large basement with all the older books.

message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9071 comments I just edited my post this morning to be able to put the damn space Link in and it worked just fine. But without being able to edit, there would be no way to manage that particular challenge. I did notice that I tried to get on last night to take care of it, and Goodreads was so full, that it didn’t matter that I had copied the link, there was no hope to be had about even getting in there!

message 47: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 2014 comments Ooh, I think the edit is working now, I just did a test edit on message 42 above! I still couldn't do it earlier today.

message 48: by Sallys (new)

Sallys | 311 comments Good luckAmy. Sending Sending good wishes your way

message 49: by Sallys (new)

Sallys | 311 comments And my poor BAILEY has An eye infection. We give her antibiotics In pill. Form. No way she’d let us put drops in her eyes

message 50: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments AMY - I just heard on the news that many universities have decided to not require SATS for a while because of all the SAT cancellations. This could be a great application year for kids with strong grades and text anxiety.

« previous 1