What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Fantasy Picture book. Girl gets gifted a doll and is jealous of her hair and clothes, turns into doll herself. 1970s or 1980s.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marije (new)

Marije Tintin | 3 comments This is a children’s book from the 1970s or 80s. It was full of beautiful illustrations. A bit spooky. Girl gets a doll for her birthday (I think) and is jealous of her dress and nice ringlet curls. She takes the dress and somehow the hair and I think the shoes and wears them herself. She starts turning into the doll herself. I think she ends up in the doll box and falls into space or something dreamlike at the end.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Sep 21, 2020 06:03PM) (new)

Kris | 35348 comments Mod
Marije, what's the genre - e.g., picture book or children's novel, fantasy, horror?

Can you describe the illustrations - e.g., simple or detailed, realistic or cartoon-like, painted watercolors or bold graphics, bright or dark colors, black & white? Do they remind you of a similar illustrator or picture book author?

message 3: by Marije (new)

Marije Tintin | 3 comments Children’s picture book, fantasy.

The illustrations are detailed, realistic, bright colours. Possibly pencil drawings, it’s hard to remember exactly as I haven’t seen it since the eighties. I remember the doll and her hair were really pretty.

I’m not sure of the nationality of the author or the language of the book because I read various languages as a child. It could have been in English, Dutch or German.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19589 comments Does anything on the Doll Stories list look familiar?

message 5: by Marije (new)

Marije Tintin | 3 comments Sadly no, which makes me think maybe it wasn’t in English. I think either the doll or the girl was called Bella or Annabel