Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

The Stars My Destination
This topic is about The Stars My Destination
BotM Discussion - Mod Special > The Stars My Destination / Overall Discussion / *** Spoilers ***

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Roger | 2015 comments Mod
Thread for The Stars My Destination

Shawnie | 1945 comments I'm really struggling to get through this one. Still at about 65%.

message 3: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 575 comments I haven't started it yet, but I'm in a mood to read light books at the moment, so I may give it up beforehand... Is it the writing or pacing or what are you struggling with Shawnie?

Shawnie | 1945 comments The main is difficult to like. The pacing is good with lots of action. The writing is very good. I'm finding I'm not a fan of classic SciFi. Maybe it's me and not the book. Way Station has been one of the few that I absolutely loved.

message 5: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 575 comments Thanks Shawnie. I'm overbooked (!) atm so I think I'll leave it for now and see how much of october is left when I've read the other books I'm reading.

message 6: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy | 1665 comments This is a reread for me and I didn't understand the end any more the second time than the first time. What's up with that????

Shawnie | 1945 comments Sandy wrote: "This is a reread for me and I didn't understand the end any more the second time than the first time. What's up with that????"

Sandy, what a complete letdown! HAHA

message 8: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy | 1665 comments Really! I was like what? Good up till the end. Not a MC easy to like - at all. But an interesting character. Then it was huh? Author totally lost me.

Shawnie | 1945 comments I finally finished and didn't like the end, though I was paying attention because of your comment here. haha

message 10: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike Curtis | 110 comments I was fine with the book, but that is about all I can say about it. It was fine.

The problem for me wasn't that the protagonist was hard to like, there have been several books where I didn't "like" the main character, but instead the problem was that the main character is largely one dimensional and uninteresting. When he undergoes any kind of character change, it is largely just as a story device.

There is a part where he and another character fall in love with one another, but there is no reason why either one of them would fall for the other except to provide an additional plot twist near the end of the story.

As for the ending itself, I think it is a reflection of the era when it was written, where the protagonists frequently had to transcend their earthly form into some higher being or variation of the star child from 2001: A Space Odyssey. But especially in this instance, it just seemed like a jumbled mess.

Melanie | 1289 comments I just read chapter 1 twice and I'm STILL not sure I understand it. It's kind of strange.

message 12: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy | 1665 comments It gets less confusing until the end - then it goes off the deep end into "say what??"

Shawnie | 1945 comments Yes, what Sandy said! lol