Mental Health Bookclub discussion

A List of Cages
This topic is about A List of Cages
2020 Group reads MH Fiction > October fiction- ADHD: A List of Cages

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Di (last edited Sep 21, 2020 11:40AM) (new)

Di | 366 comments Mod
In October our fiction group read is A List of Cages by Robin Roe. You chose this via poll (results here).

Description:
When Adam Blake lands the best elective ever in his senior year, serving as an aide to the school psychologist, he thinks he’s got it made. Sure, it means a lot of sitting around, which isn’t easy for a guy with ADHD, but he can’t complain, since he gets to spend the period texting all his friends. Then the doctor asks him to track down the troubled freshman who keeps dodging her, and Adam discovers that the boy is Julian—the foster brother he hasn’t seen in five years.

Adam is ecstatic to be reunited. At first, Julian seems like the boy he once knew. He’s still kindhearted. He still writes stories and loves picture books meant for little kids. But as they spend more time together, Adam realizes that Julian is keeping secrets, like where he hides during the middle of the day, and what’s really going on inside his house. Adam is determined to help him, but his involvement could cost both boys their lives…

Please use this thread to post questions and comments at any time.

Andrea | 10 comments I found myself very driven to read this book, the characters were relatable and the words flowed well. I was a little surprised by the ending, though; it seemed a little too planned rather than naturally developing. I feel that they missed an opportunity to really address what had happened to Julian's mental health, which overshadowed Adam's ADHD. What do others think?

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Mod
Andrea wrote: "I found myself very driven to read this book, the characters were relatable and the words flowed well. I was a little surprised by the ending, though; it seemed a little too planned rather than nat..."

Mahalo for commenting and asking others to join in! I have not started this book. Not sure if I am. What do you think would be the best way to address Julian’s mental issues? Spoilers do not bother me.

Andrea | 10 comments RM: thanks for your comment! The author shows how Julian's anxiety was lessened quite a bit when his uncle died: which makes sense, because the immediate threat is no longer there. But we know that it won't end there - everything he has gone through, during important developmental periods, has altered how he is going to relate to people, challenges, strong emotions, stress... I would have liked to have seen some acknowledgement of that and mention that he would be going to therapy with the support/involvement of his new family. Not necessarily adding a large section to the book, but at least a nod to the amount of work that he will need to go through and a hopeful attitude toward how this will help him survive and heal.

Andrea | 10 comments (I don't want to go into too much detail, spoilers. But the amount of physical and psychological abuse was overwhelming. Being locked in a box, starved, beaten, and completely losing the ability to see it as abuse, buying into the abusers gaslighting and accepting that he somehow deserved it all...)

Andrea wrote: "(I don't want to go into too much detail, spoilers. But the amount of physical and psychological abuse was overwhelming. Being locked in a box, starved, beaten, and completely losing the ability to..."

Mahalo for the informative answer Andrea! Mahalo as well for commenting! Your feedback had me thinking. I am going try to read this book. This is a stupid question. Do you feel this book could be easy to set off triggers? Again, stupid question.

Aloha All,

How is this book going, please? Or was going?

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸💀🦋🐼

Andrea | 10 comments RM, you asked if this book could set off triggers. I think yes: if you have experienced being physically restrained or trapped, or had your basic meds neglected, or being groomed to the point where you have been unable to make your own decisions.
I do not believe the depiction of ADHD would be triggering, the character seemed to be developing some fairly good coping habits.

Andrea | 10 comments *Needs not meds

message 10: by Mentalhealthtrust (last edited Oct 30, 2020 06:52AM) (new)

Mentalhealthtrust | 4 comments Hi
We are Mental-Health Trust.

Sorry we are going completely off topic here.

We are planning to host a mental-health book club via zoom for the month of November.
We would like to know if you'll could help us out with recommending some books that are not too heavy but lightweight, for starters.

Is this book "A List of Cages" By Robin Roe, good for a lightweight discussion on mental-health ?

Please no spam!

Thank you so much & have a wonderful day everyone.
Jo,
www.mental-healthtrust.com

message 11: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (markism) | 4 comments Mentalhealthtrust wrote: "Hi
We are Mental-Health Trust.

Sorry we are going completely off topic here.

We are planning to host a mental-health book club via zoom for the month of November.
We would like to know if you'll..."

interested in your zoom discussion keep mem in the loop to join in

message 12: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (markism) | 4 comments Julian is so sweet and you can see where he has become a shell of a lost soul.

As for Adam I really like how his ADHD was intertwined with the character. It wasn't a lookout I got every symptom here and overexaggerate the symptoms. No, it was input here and there. Yes, it was talked about but it came at points where it was needed. So in short I really liked how this book played out in the abuse and mental illness.

Mentalhealthtrust | 4 comments Hi Mark,

We will let you know once we flesh out the details.
BTW, do you have any book recommendations on mental-health.
Thanks!
Jo,
www.mental-healthtrust.com

Andrea wrote: "RM, you asked if this book could set off triggers. I think yes: if you have experienced being physically restrained or trapped, or had your basic meds neglected, or being groomed to the point where..."

Mahalo for informative answer! Be well.

Mark wrote: "Julian is so sweet and you can see where he has become a shell of a lost soul.

As for Adam I really like how his ADHD was intertwined with the character. It wasn't a lookout I got every symptom h..."

Ah, okay. Mahalo for the feedback!

Mentalhealthtrust wrote: "Hi Mark,

We will let you know once we flesh out the details.
BTW, do you have any book recommendations on mental-health.
Thanks!
Jo,
www.mental-healthtrust.com"

Please keep us posted. Please check out this year books choices or last year or before. The past few years have been done by Moderator Di. She created the polls each month. If you choose one of them, please give her some credit. Not being rude.

If I am overstepping, I am sorry.

Please keep us posted.

Are there any specific books on mental health you are looking for?

Mahalo,
RM
💀🐼🦋🇺🇸

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A List of Cages (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin Roe (other topics)