Ladies of Horror Fiction discussion

Mexican Gothic
This topic is about Mexican Gothic
LOHF Group Reads > October 2020 Readalong #1: Mexican Gothic by Silvia Morena-Garcia

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (last edited Sep 26, 2020 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 505 comments We're doing two group reads in October! Chat stars October 1.

This is the official thread for Mexican Gothic by Silvia Morena-Garcia. We hope you will join us in one or both chat threads.

Please use % read and spoiler tags as needed. Thanks!!

Spoilers work like this: < spoiler > TYPE YOUR SPOILERY STUFF HERE < / spoiler > but skip the spaces between spoiler and brackets. Thank you so much!

Latasha (latasha513) | 304 comments i just finished this. i loved it so so much. the atmosphere of this book is everything. it exceeded all the hype and expectations for me. i hope everyone reading loves it as much as i did.

Karla | 8 comments such a great book! highly recommend this one.

Ingerlisa | 3 comments This was already on my October tbr so can’t wait!

message 5: by destiny ♡ (new) - added it

destiny ♡ howling libraries (howlinglibraries) | 47 comments I'm reading this one right now but not far in at all, so this is perfect! I love it so far.

Angie (strangersights) | 22 comments Latasha wrote: "i just finished this. i loved it so so much. the atmosphere of this book is everything. it exceeded all the hype and expectations for me. i hope everyone reading loves it as much as i did."

I also just finished it - and I absolutely loved it as well!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments I just ordered a copy for this readalong!!!

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 505 comments It is GREAT. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Kasey Ashton (tattooedreader13) | 13 comments one of my top 5 books for this year, LOVED IT!

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 77 comments Enjoy, everyone! I loved this.

message 11: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin (ems84) It sounds good!

message 12: by Noelle (new)

Noelle Kelly (corpsebride) | 23 comments I'm about midway through this, I'm really enjoying it. The setting is so atmospheric, dark and dank, in contrast to the vibrancy of the main character

Emily (em_sorensen) | 2 comments This is on my TBR still, so I will definitely be joining in!

Ellie | 2 comments This fast became one of my favourite books! I'm so excited that more people are going to read it!

Kasey Ashton (tattooedreader13) | 13 comments Ellie wrote: "This fast became one of my favourite books! I'm so excited that more people are going to read it!"

Same! Absolutely in love with this book - I'm planning to read Untamed Shore by her this October

Latasha (latasha513) | 304 comments Untamed Shires sounds good!

Chantelle | 8 comments I've started reading this book, but I'm going to read the rest in October for this group read.

Heather | 1 comments I haven't started this book yet. I'm very excited about reading it and taking part in the October Readalong!

message 19: by Laurie (last edited Oct 07, 2020 11:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 505 comments How are you liking this one? I want to move into that creepy house and never leave! But only after ridding it of all of those loathsome people residing inside it.

Also what are your thoughts on the heroine in the early pages? I feared i would despise her . . . but I didn't :)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments Hoping to start by the weekend.

Latasha (latasha513) | 304 comments Bark wrote: "How are you liking this one? I want to move into that creepy house and never leave! But only after ridding it of all of those loathsome people residing inside it.

Also what are your thoughts on t..."

i would come stay with you for a few weeks at a time if you moved in there. I thought Noemí would be ditsy and annoying but she really wasn't. I liked her.

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 505 comments I loved the characterization in this novel! Also, you'd be welcome any time in my creepy old victorian mansion when I hit the lottery, haha.

message 23: by The Dekya (new) - added it

The Dekya (dekya) | 15 comments Today I will be starting this and hope to participate more.

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 505 comments Dekya wrote: "Today I will be starting this and hope to participate more."

I hope you enjoy it!

message 25: by Kari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kari | 38 comments I'm nearly 40% in and (view spoiler)

message 26: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex | 6 comments I just finished it and I LOVED IT! It was so atmospheric and dark. I also have a weakness for (view spoiler). I really can't wait to hear what yall think of it too

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments I put it on hold for some readalongs (with specific dates). Should be reading it by next Monday!!

message 28: by The Dekya (new) - added it

The Dekya (dekya) | 15 comments I'm at 30% of the audiobook. I think I shld have gotten an e-book. A lot of the Spanish words are lost on me(◞‸◟)

Ingerlisa | 3 comments I just finished this and all I can say was that this was not was what I was expecting but it was a lot of fun.

Mindy'sBookJourney (mindysbookjourney) | 15 comments I just finished the book and I loved it. it was dripping with gothic vibes which is what I was hoping for. the mansion was creepy and it felt claustrophobic. there was a great sense of mystery throughout. and the last third, climax and finale, were everything I could ask for from a horror novel. 5 stars for me.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments Still haven't started, but I will be reading it before the end of the month!!

message 32: by The Dekya (new) - added it

The Dekya (dekya) | 15 comments I stopped the Audiobook, and got the ebook frm Kindle. It's $2.99 rn. I think it'll help me with the Spanish parts, unlike the audiobook

PaulaSatánder (paulasatnder) | 27 comments Kari, I thought the same as you regarding Noemi and Catalina

Sally | 1 comments I am never eating mushrooms again.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments This book is officially in my November TBR list....as is Horrid! LOL! (At least I own both).

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments I'm finally reading October's group read!! LOL! I have Horrid lined up, but am still waiting on December's .... post office is overwhelmed. I'll be ending the year, and STARTING with woman horror authors!!

message 37: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 9 comments If you like this you might want to try the anthology she edited: Fungi by Orrin Grey . It’s not long and there were some gems!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments Lena wrote: "If you like this you might want to try the anthology she edited: Fungi by Orrin Grey. It’s not long and there were some gems!"

Thank you!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments I finished, and really enjoyed this one! HORRID next, then "December's" read!

Latasha (latasha513) | 304 comments Ohh! I just got Horrid too! I might join you for that one.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments Latasha wrote: "Ohh! I just got Horrid too! I might join you for that one."

YAY!