#ClassicsCommunity 2021 Reading Challenge discussion

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
This topic is about The Hound of the Baskervilles
Buddy Reads > October Mysterious Classic: The Hounds of Baskervilles

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) For Spooktober Mysterious classic we thought we'd do none other than The Hound of the Baskervilles.

This sounds great for a slightly spooky tale and meets a Victober prompt as well so I hope you'll join in the reading fun...

It's a short book so we will do one book discussion that will open on October 23rd.

November Mysterious Classic: And Then There Were None

message 2: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Perfect! I'm looking forward to reading this now:) My book is ready to go!

Janice | 193 comments I've never read either of these and know they will be great reads and discussions. :)

message 4: by Iza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iza Brekilien (izabrekilien) | 59 comments I've read it so many years ago, I'd be happy to read it again :)

Erika | 79 comments I'm very excited for another reread ☺️. @Gia I hope you like it as much as I do!!

message 6: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia @Erika I'm sure I will! This will be my first Sherlock Holmes book:)

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Gia wrote: "Perfect! I'm looking forward to reading this now:) My book is ready to go!"

I can't wait, this is probably one of the best Holmes tales I think.

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Janice wrote: "I've never read either of these and know they will be great reads and discussions. :)"

So glad your able to join in! Hope you like them.

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Iza wrote: "I've read it so many years ago, I'd be happy to read it again :)"

Erika wrote: "I'm very excited for another reread ☺️. @Gia I hope you like it as much as I do!!"

It's always fun to reread books and see if our thoughts change or if we notice things we didn't the first time we read it.

message 10: by Avni (new) - added it

Avni Arora (avni_arora) | 17 comments My book is yet to arrive and I'm eagerly waiting for the book mail... hoping to get it in time. Really excited to read this one!

message 11: by Nada (new)

Nada (nadaoq) | 112 comments Looking forward :D

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) 1 more day till October!! I'm excited to read this and then watch the Sherlock episode/movie with Benedict Cumberbatch afterwards!

Discussion set for October 23rd. :)

Erika | 79 comments @Shannon oh I love that Sherlock episode!!!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Erika wrote: "@Shannon oh I love that Sherlock episode!!!"

I know I read a fwd in the book from Benedict Cumberbatch and he says it's the best Sherlock story and I think I agree with him!

message 15: by Avni (new) - added it

Avni Arora (avni_arora) | 17 comments That series with Benedict Cumberbatch is just awesome, he is so perfect !! And, I also agree, it's the best one!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) 12 days till The Hounds of Baskerville discussion! Hope you are enjoying it and you can join in the discussion. I'll post questions and prompts on the 23rd.

message 17: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Cool! I did enjoy this one! Sounds good, looking forward!

message 18: by Anne (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anne (annemontgomery) | 9 comments I didn't enjoy it much, but I used an audiobook and I think it doesn't allow for enough thinking time, perhaps. I also had issues with the scarlet room, though, so i need to give another story a go and see what exactly is the issue.

message 19: by library girl reading (last edited Oct 24, 2020 04:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) It's time to discuss The Hounds of Baskerville!

Benedict Cumberbatch ( who plays a great Holmes ) says this is most famous Sherlock Holmes story - Do you agree?

He also states it's the most atmospheric and scary of his tales - what do you think?

So overall how did you like the story?

What did you like most about it? Or if you didn't like it what did you like least about it?

Did you watch the PBS series episode/ movie with Cumberbatch based on this story?

----------------------

November book club pick: And Then There Were None

December book club pick: A Merry Christmas and Other Christmas Stories

January book club pick: Rebecca

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) I do really like the eerie feel of this Holmes tale, and would say it's probably one of my favorites.

I think it's very atmospheric and eerie, I didn't really find it scary but the mood was definitely set!

Overall I love the story and the pacing of it. I did both the book then listened to the audio. What would have made the audio even better is if they had Benedict Cumberbatch narrate it!

I love the atmosphere that was set in the book. the foggy village, the did they really see what they think they saw, the folklore and urban legend almost of the Hound of Baskervilles.

I have watched the episode/movie when it first aired now I need to rewatch it.

So after reading this story should we add a Holmes tale every now and then in 2021 or no I think I'm good with just reading one? :)

Erika | 79 comments 1. I think I agree with this statement. When I think of Sherlock Holmes I instantly think of Watson, Baker St, and The Hound of the Baskervilles.
2. Absolutely!! I think the setting (the lonely moors/country) were a perfect choice for a spooky story such as this. And something about the way Doyle wrote this one makes it way more atmospheric than his other stories.
3. I've already said this a million times in our book club, but I LOVE this story. It's my favorite Sherlock Holmes book, and I can always return to it and enjoy it.
4. I like that Watson is in driver's seat for some of the book (or at least, it appears to be so). And the only thing I don't like about this book is an implied animal death...)
5. I'm actually rewatching the series now (@Shannon you brought it up last month and it made me think it was definitely time to revisit the show!), but I haven't gotten to the Hound episode yet.

Overall I enjoyed revisiting this book, and I'm really looking forward to next month's pick. It's been many, many years since I've read And Then There Were None.

Janice | 193 comments I have never read a Sherlock Holmes story before and I really didn't think I would like any of the stories. The Hound of the Baskervilles is the first Sherlock Holmes book I read and I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed it!!! I don't like scary books and had been avoiding this book for years. I am so thankful for this group because I would have gone on avoiding reading this book. I really hope we add more Sherlock Holmes stories in the future. :) At first, I found the book a little slow but it quickly picked up and I got involved in the story and trying to solve the mystery as I was reading.

message 23: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Like Janice, this was also my first Sherlock Holmes story and I really enjoyed it! I was hooked from the very beginning and glued to the book until I finished it. I am also grateful for this group because I know I wouldn't have read this book either on my own, and I would've really missed out on a good book!

Yes, I agree with Cumberbatch (even though I haven't read any other books in the series, haha!)

It is very spooky and eerie, but again I can't compare to the other books just yet.

My favorite part of the book was the plot twists! They were full of surprise and stealth. Also, the setting, atmosphere and tension kept me glued to the page until I finished it. Yeah, @Erika, I agree...I didn't like how it was revealed at the end of the book that the hound wasn't cared for very well by that unseemly villain of the book.

I have not seen the movie, but I bet it's very good, too!

Janice | 193 comments I haven't seen the movie either, but am thinking some night I may watch it with my family <3

Erika | 79 comments @Janice and @Gia I'm so glad that you guys enjoyed it!! And yes, you guys should check out the movie(s) if you have the time! I obviously have to be of the opinion that the book is always better lol, but I think the movie is also good and entertaining.

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Gia wrote: "Like Janice, this was also my first Sherlock Holmes story and I really enjoyed it! I was hooked from the very beginning and glued to the book until I finished it. I am also grateful for this group ..."

Janice wrote: "I haven't seen the movie either, but am thinking some night I may watch it with my family <3"

I think you'd love the PBS series and movie based on this book! If you watch it let me know what you think!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Janice wrote: "I have never read a Sherlock Holmes story before and I really didn't think I would like any of the stories. The Hound of the Baskervilles is the first Sherlock Holmes book I read and I was very sur..."

It was a little slow in the beginning but once it picked up it was quite a fun read!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Erika wrote: "1. I think I agree with this statement. When I think of Sherlock Holmes I instantly think of Watson, Baker St, and The Hound of the Baskervilles.
2. Absolutely!! I think the setting (the lonely moo..."

So glad you liked it!

I'm also looking forward to reading And Then There Were None, it's been quite a while since I've read it as well!

Janice | 193 comments Erika wrote: "@Janice and @Gia I'm so glad that you guys enjoyed it!! And yes, you guys should check out the movie(s) if you have the time! I obviously have to be of the opinion that the book is always better lo..."

I almost always love the book better than the movie or a close tie such as Pride and Prejudice the 1995 version is my favourite version and I love it as much as the book. As well as the Anne of Green Gables series with Megan Follows as Anne. Love those films as much as the books. :)

Janice | 193 comments Shannon wrote: "Gia wrote: "Like Janice, this was also my first Sherlock Holmes story and I really enjoyed it! I was hooked from the very beginning and glued to the book until I finished it. I am also grateful for..."

I will have to check those out at some time, maybe over this winter. :)

message 31: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia @Shannon I actually really appreciated and was comforted by the slow start in the book because it gave me time to gear up and get ready for the spooky tale that I knew was coming! Lol!

message 32: by Avni (new) - added it

Avni Arora (avni_arora) | 17 comments Shannon wrote: "It's time to discuss The Hounds of Baskerville!

Benedict Cumberbatch ( who plays a great Holmes ) says this is most famous Sherlock Holmes story - Do you agree?

He also states it's the most atm..."

I'm a little late to the party, October was a really hectic month and I just read the book this weekend (didn't want to skip this one).
1. Totally agree with Benedict Cumberbatch. There's even a classic bollywood movie based on it which I watched some years back with my family and we all loved.
2.I agree! Having read a couple other stories and watched the show, this one is nothing like the others.
3.I love this story! Everytime I read this or watch any adaptation of it, I am in awe of the way it is written and the way the story progresses.
4.the way the story is written. The challenge that Sherlock sees it as and is intrigued by it. Also, the supernatural angle that was given to it.
5. Yes, I love that show and Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman as Watson! Their chemistry is amazing!

message 33: by Zoë (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoë (zbestbooks) | 13 comments I have just finished this and didn't realise this was happening but I loved it! :-)