2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Starless Sea
This topic is about The Starless Sea
ARCHIVE 2020 > The Starless Sea: Mid-Reading Discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments This is where we will discuss the book after we start reading it in October.

message 2: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ilona | 4119 comments Just read the first two chapters and am immediately reminded of the beautiful prose in this book. Last time I read this book quite fast, wanting to know how the story would develop, but this time I'll go slower and try to enjoy the language :)

Has anyone else started reading the book yet?

Emily Em | 4 comments Ilona wrote: "Just read the first two chapters and am immediately reminded of the beautiful prose in this book. Last time I read this book quite fast, wanting to know how the story would develop, but this time I..."

I started and haven't been able to put it down. I'm currently on Book II. So far, I find the book to be so enchanting and beautifully written. Will try hard not too rush through and enjoy the words. :)

Jessica | 58 comments I'm about 50 pages in and really enjoying it so far. Looks like it will take me on a magical journey just like The Night Circus did.

Nancy-Ann | 28 comments I'm about halfway through right now and, yup, still love her writing as much as I did reading The Night Circus. The first chapter, especially, is my favorite thing.

Samantha King | 248 comments On Book III, loving it! Such beautiful and enchanting story telling.

message 7: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ilona | 4119 comments Just finished book IV and cannot believe that I rated this only 4 stars last time. This book is sooo good!

Laura | 113 comments Been listening to it on audiobook - This author seems to capture my attention with everything she writes, another excellent book so far

Maria Munoz | 77 comments It’s so beautifully written! I’m on page 170.

Fenris (fenrislyulf) | 15 comments I am actually struggling to get it started. I've read several pages but it's just not grabbing me and honestly I don't know why.

Serena | 24 comments Fenris wrote: "I am actually struggling to get it started. I've read several pages but it's just not grabbing me and honestly I don't know why."

I'm only 7% through: ((view spoiler) You're not the only one, Fenris! I know people are really in love with her writing (and I agree that it's good), but I'm finding it just a tad...self-indulgent. Some things she hits right on the nose (her descriptions of the mind of an introvert and the joy of falling into a good book are spot-on for me), but in other areas, I'm pulled out of the book. I don't think I need a description of the soap he uses when he takes a shower or lines and lines describing a door.

I'm reminded of a quote by David Foster Wallace (probably the most self-indulgent writer of all time): "If the writer does [their] job right, what [they] basically do is remind the reader of how smart the reader is...[They] wake the reader up to stuff that [they've] been aware of all the time." Which sounds lovely and I think is partly true but in this case, I think the problem is feeling that some parts are merely an exhibition of how clever Morgenstern is without much regard for the reader or plot. Maybe I'm not allowing the writing to transport me as I should (i.e., really sit and contemplate some of the things she's pointing out).

I hope this isn't a controversial opinion! I'm not very far along at all, and my opinions can shift drastically over the course of a book. I'm looking forward to Morgenstern changing my mind. :)

Carmen | 4761 comments I've just bought the Spanish translation, I'm looking forward to starting it once and for all 😅

message 13: by Elina (new) - rated it 1 star

Elina van der Toorn (elinavdt) | 26 comments I just can't read this book, not sure why. I started it on October 2nd and I start it over and over and over and over and still can't pass more than a couple of pages. I am afraid this is going to be my first unfinished book ever...

message 14: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Guzzetti | 1 comments Elina, I had the same trouble. I finally made it through the first 3 (short) chapters and was able to traction in the 4th chapter. It gets better... I’m a quarter of the way and now wanting to spend my day on the couch to read. Good luck!

message 15: by Elina (new) - rated it 1 star

Elina van der Toorn (elinavdt) | 26 comments I gave it another try and no, it just isn't working for me. Even skipped a chapter and started new one, still not getting anything out of it. I like reading books from the beginning till the very end, so I am not going to skip chapters in hope I will find something engaging.
I will put this book aside and come back to it next year.