Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Featured Authors > Featured Author - October 2020 C.J. Sansom

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (new)

Alice | 597 comments C. J. Sansom was educated at Birmingham University, where he took a BA and then a PhD in history. After working in a variety of jobs, he retrained as a solicitor and practised in Sussex, until becoming a full-time writer. He lives in Sussex.

Shardlake Series
Dissolution
Dark Fire
Sovereign
Revelation
Heartstone
Lamentation
Tombland

Standalone Novels

Winter in Madrid
Dominion

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice | 597 comments I have the first two books in this series. One of my book friends keeps telling me I need this author, she loves his books. I guess I will finally get to try him.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1156 comments I own the first one, have also heard good things so hope to finally start the series.

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice | 597 comments I have also ready that Mr. Sansom is suffering with cancer and Tombland will be the last novel.

message 5: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (bkydbirder) | 3 comments That is very sad to hear Alice. I have read the whole series except for Tombland (which is on my bookshelf). It really is a great series and I love Sansom's writing!

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 138 comments That is very sad! I've read the first two & really enjoyed them. The books are long but worth it.

message 7: by Portia (new)

Portia | 32 comments Hello. I have all of Sanson’s Shardlake books and am currently reading LAMENTATION. So sorry to hear he is ill. My Spouse powered through all but the latest, since it’s only recently arrived in our house.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 463 comments I've read all except Winter in Madrid and Tombland, and they're all very good to excellent.

message 9: by Alice (new)

Alice | 597 comments can't wait for October to read Dissolution!!

message 10: by Alice (new)

Alice | 597 comments Okay I cheated a little bit and started Dissolution late last night. I have to have a book to read when I go to bed. Wow really well written, deep in history. I only read chapter one but I am enjoying it so far.

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice | 597 comments Alice wrote: "Okay I cheated a little bit and started Dissolution late last night. I have to have a book to read when I go to bed. Wow really well written, deep in history. I only read chapter one ..."

I finished it . Very well researched and written. A lot of history often over shadows the mystery. Main characters are well developed and you feel like you start to know them. Good description of the times, clothes, religious ceremony.  A bit gloomy though.

message 12: by RachelG. (new)

RachelG. | 339 comments I started reading Dissolution and quickly realized I needed to know more about what was going on in this time period. After reading the author's historical note I re-read the first chapter and felt I had a good grip on what was happening.

This was not a quick read for me. I found myself getting distracted after reading a few pages. I ended up stopping 60% of the way through the book and skipped to the last couple chapters. Although I liked Matthew Shardlake as a character I never felt hooked on the writing. I don't plan on reading more of the series. I may try and find another book set during Tudor times to see a different perspective.

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenfrominyocounty) | 91 comments I've read them all, and the historical research is exemplary. They are definitely not quick reads, as everyone is saying. I do like Matthew, but he has an increasingly annoying habit of getting beat up in some way in every single book. And although he does bring whatever he's doing to an somewhat agreeable solution, there is always an aura of depression about it.

One quick story about Mr. Sansom. I "attended" the St Hilda's Crime Fiction weekend this year, which centered on historical mysteries. Highlight was William Shaw enthusing on "Chris" Sansom, who was in his first writing class and read the class members the first chapter of "Dissolution." "Our jaws all dropped," Shaw said, as well they might. He said that Chris spends weeks and months getting the research right, and won't go on until it's correct. Mentioned that Sansom corresponded with an academic specializing in how East Anglian sheep looked in Tudor times. From William Shaw: "Get your sheep right and everything follows." All of us at the talk decided we should have that put on a t-shirt.

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1156 comments Helen wrote: "I've read them all, and the historical research is exemplary. They are definitely not quick reads, as everyone is saying. I do like Matthew, but he has an increasingly annoying habit of getting bea..."

What a great lecture! Shaw sounds like a very interesting speaker,

message 15: by Alice (new)

Alice | 597 comments I can see this in his Dissolution. His descriptions are very precise and bit heavy. I do appreciate his level of research

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1156 comments I've started this now. Am only a couple of chapters in, and like it so far. I have the TV / Wolf Hall version of Cromwell in my head.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1156 comments I've finished now and enjoyed it tremendously. I have already requested the second book from the library.