Appointment With Agatha discussion

Archive - general > Nominations for December side read: Christmas mysteries

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (last edited Sep 22, 2020 03:13PM) (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments It's time to start the nominations thread for our December side read, which will be Christmas/holiday mysteries. Remember, publication date must be prior to 1970.

The Christmas mystery was basically the Hallmark channel before the Hallmark channel (not to mention television) was invented. At one time or another, all of the golden age authors (probably) wanted to cash in on the festive season, and therefore wrote at least one - and possibly more than one - mystery set around the holiday season.

Some of the more contrary authors set their versions near New Year, instead of on Christmas itself (Dorothy Sayers and Patricia Wentworth, with their wonderful books The Nine Tailors and The Clock Strikes Twelve, respectively).

Christie herself has two Christmas-themed tales - Hercule Poirot's Christmas, which we are scheduled to read in September 2022, although when we get a bit closer, I'll probably propose that we take a bit of a detour in order and read it in December, as well as The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding, a longish short story.

So, let the nominations begin!

1. Tied Up In Tinsel by Ngaio Marsh (nominated by BrokenTune, seconded by Karina)
2. Thou Shell of Death by Nicholas Blake (nominated by Christine PNW).
3. An English Murder by Cyril Hare (nominated by Brenda, seconded by Michaela).
4. The Night of Fear by Moray Dalton (nominated by Lillelara).
5. The Santa Klaus Murder by Mavis Doriel Hay (nominated by Rosemarie).
6. A Maigret Christmas: And Other Stories by Georges Simenon (nominated by Mark)
7. A Christmas Party by Georgette Heyer (also published as Envious Casca, nominated by Teresa).
8. Death Comes at Christmas by Gladys Mitchell (nominated by Mike).

message 2: by Karina (new)

Karina | 8 comments There is " Tied up in Tinsel" by Ngaio Marsh...

message 3: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Karina wrote: "There is " Tied up in Tinsel" by Ngaio Marsh..."

I'm seconding Tied up in Tinsel.

Tho, my regular season re-reads will also include Hercule Poirot's Christmas and The Nine Tailors and The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle.

message 4: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments "Karina wrote: "I'm seconding Tied Up in Tinsel. Tho, my regular season re-reads will also include Hercule Poirot's Christmas and The Nine Tailors ..."

I read the NIne Tailors last month, but it's very likely that I will listen to the dulcet tones of Hugh Fraser narrating Hercule Poirot's Christmas because it's a pretty consistent feature of my holiday season!

I would be totally psyched to read Tied Up In Tinsel because it is new to me!

I'm going to nominate Thou Shell of Death by Nicholas Blake. I read it a couple of years ago and really liked it.

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) | 120 comments I would like to suggest An English Murder by Cyril Hare

It sounds like fun... A country house murder mystery classic, as a party find themselves snowed-in on Christmas Eve with a murderer among them .

message 6: by Lillelara (new)

Lillelara | 65 comments Tied Up In Tinsel sounds great. I wouldn´t be mad if that one is going to be the winner.

However, to add some variety and to provide a more obscure choice for the poll, I´m nominating The Night of Fear.
I´ve read two Moray Daltons this year and I haven´t made up my mind just yet, if I like or her dislike her books, simply because the plots are so whacky.

message 7: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Brenda wrote: "I would like to suggest An English Murder by Cyril Hare

It sounds like fun... A country house murder mystery classic, as a party find themselves snowed-in on Christm..."

Oh, I wouldn't mind re-reading this one either.

message 8: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Lillelara wrote: "Tied Up In Tinsel sounds great. I wouldn´t be mad if that one is going to be the winner.

However, to add some variety and to provide a more obscure choice for the poll, I´m nominatin..."

Night of Fear sounds great, too. Gaaah... So many good choices.

message 9: by Tania (new)

Tania | 53 comments I've been meaning to read Moray Dalton for a while now, but I'd really like to read An English Murder; the others look really good too.

message 10: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 149 comments I second An English Murder.

message 11: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments Some good nominations already!

I'm going to be on vacation next week, so I won't be around as much, but I will still be checking in.

Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (themis-athena) | 471 comments Well, since some of my absolute season favorites have already made an appearance in the discussion ... I'm going to go with Georgette Heyer's Envious Casca (recently republished as A Christmas Party).

Though, I have to say I really second every suggestion that's already been made! :)

message 13: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments LoL. This should make for yet another interesting poll.

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) | 120 comments Holiday reads till February ! 😁😁

Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (themis-athena) | 471 comments BrokenTune wrote: "LoL. This should make for yet another interesting poll."

Absolutely. Anyway, I'm so not concerned about my December reading program ... it's been chiefly Christmas books in the past couple of years, anyway (as you know), so it looks like my slots are filling in nicely!

message 16: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Brenda wrote: "Holiday reads till February ! 😁😁"

This could very well happen.

message 17: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) wrote: "BrokenTune wrote: "LoL. This should make for yet another interesting poll."
Absolutely. Anyway, I'm so not concerned about my December reading program ... it's been chiefly Christmas books in the ..."

Is Envious Casca one of your regular December reads?

I'm loving the list of titles that have been suggested so far. It's going to be a tough choice when it comes to the poll.

message 18: by Mark (new)

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) | 120 comments I wanted to choose Maigret but realized the copy I have is 1973.

So many good choices for this category !!

message 20: by Mark (new)

Mark | 55 comments Brenda wrote: "I wanted to choose Maigret but realized the copy I have is 1973."

I checked; according to the interwebs, it was originally published in 1951.

message 21: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Brenda wrote: "I wanted to choose Maigret but realized the copy I have is 1973.

So many good choices for this category !!"

I'm intrigued by the Maigret, too! :)

message 22: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) | 120 comments I have this one Maigret's Christmas: nine stories and its actually 1976 now that I look. It felt weird nominating another of the same by him since I have that one on my physical shelf. LOL But glad that you did!

message 23: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments Mark wrote: "I'm going to be contrarian and suggest two: The Santa Klaus Murder by Mavis Doriel Hay and A Maigret Christmas: And Other Stories by [author:Georges..."

Only one nomination per person - sorry - but maybe you can persuade someone to take up your second once you choose between them, lol.

message 24: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 193 comments If Mark can't decide, I will nominate The Santa Klaus Murder by Mavis Doriel Hay.

message 25: by Mark (new)

Mark | 55 comments Rosemarie wrote: "If Mark can't decide, I will nominate The Santa Klaus Murder by Mavis Doriel Hay."

I was going to go with that one, as I figured a collection of Maigret stories had intrigued enough people that someone else would nominate it. But if you're nominating Hay's book than I'll stick with A Maigret Christmas: And Other Stories.

message 26: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (last edited Sep 22, 2020 09:46AM) (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments Mark wrote: "Rosemarie wrote: "If Mark can't decide, I will nominate The Santa Klaus Murder by Mavis Doriel Hay."

I was going to go with that one, as I figured a collection of Maigret stories had intrigued eno..."

Great - I've added both to our list of nominations!

We have many holidays ahead to read Christmas/holiday mysteries, so just because something doesn't get selected for this year doesn't mean we won't be reading it at some point!

message 27: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) | 120 comments Can I second Santa Klaus Murders and Maigret?

Holiday reads until May!! 👍🏼👍🏼

message 28: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 212 comments I'm new to these crime books and writers so I can't suggest anything new. However, I'll second Georgette Heyer's Envious Casca. I love her books and read this last Christmas.

message 29: by Mike (new)

Mike Finn (goodreadscommike_finn) | 236 comments I like the ones already nominated but I'll add one more:

'Death Comes at Christmas' by Gladys Mitchell

Death Comes at Christmas

message 30: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_s) | 17 comments Great nominations! I'm going to second Mike's nomination of Death Comes at Christmas by Gladys Mitchell.

message 31: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments I am closing nominations & will set up the poll in the new few days!

message 32: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 212 comments How do I access the Poll? I can never find them!

message 33: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 149 comments Teresa wrote: "How do I access the Poll? I can never find them!"

On the right side of the page there´s the group´s name and below several features, amongst them "Polls". You click on that and choose the right poll - normally the first one. Hope that helps! :)

message 34: by Rosemarie (last edited Oct 10, 2020 01:43PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 193 comments Teresa, it doesn't work with the app, you need to use the website access.
I just checked and the poll isn't there yet.

message 35: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 212 comments Michaela wrote: "Teresa wrote: "How do I access the Poll? I can never find them!"

On the right side of the page there´s the group´s name and below several features, amongst them "Polls". You click on that and choo..."

Thanks Michaela your always great to reply to problem questions.

message 36: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 212 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Teresa, it doesn't work with the app, you need to use the website access.
I just checked and the poll isn't there yet."

I never use the app Rosemarie. Thanks for the info.

message 37: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments The poll is up for our December side read - so go and vote!

We have seven nominations, so my plan is to allow voting until 10/25, and then post a run-off poll between the top two vote getters!

message 38: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments We have a winner!

A Christmas Party by Georgette Heyer will be our golden age side read!

message 39: by Mark (new)

Mark | 55 comments Great! I'm ordering my copy today.

Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (themis-athena) | 471 comments Christine PNW wrote: "We have a winner!

A Christmas Party by Georgette Heyer will be our golden age side read!"

Great, I'm looking forward to the reread -- Heyer's acerbic wit is just what the doctor ordered!

message 41: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 212 comments Great choice!