Play Book Tag discussion

Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1)
This topic is about Parable of the Sower
September 2020: Psychological > [Poll Ballot and Bingo] Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (last edited Sep 20, 2020 12:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1212 comments Interesting book to read in the middle of this pandemic. Dystopian, post-apocalyptic California - drought, homelessness, intentional arson. All sounds a little too close to home. Luckily things in 2020 America aren't even close to the awful world depicted by the author, but still!

The story follows Lauren Olamina, a young woman who's lived her whole life in a walled post-apocalypse enclave outside LA. But even from her relative safety Lauren knows from an early age that their small group of about 11 houses isn't really safe from the outside world.

Lauren ends up leading a rag-tag group to seek a better place to live in "the North" represented as Northern California or Oregon or Canada - always an unknown and unknowable place where maybe they can live with safety and dignity.

The scariest thing about this book is that the "bad" people are usually just desperate and homeless, willing to commit criminal acts just to survive. Equally frightening, the strange drug-addicts bent on senseless destruction, complete corruption of politicians (there's an election described where neither choice is going to make any real difference), non-responsive police and fire departments.

The book does end on a hopeful note, and it's clearly setting up later books in the series.

message 2: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5655 comments Great review. I was late to the Octavia Butler party, but I really enjoy her intelligent stories. This will be the next one for me.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1212 comments I'm pretty late to the Octavia Butler party too. I've had her books on my TBR for a long time and I'm glad I'm finally getting to some of them.