Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available for LGBTQ/queer fiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ischa (new)

Ischa | 5 comments I'm available to give a honest review (flow, characterization, plot) and also editing (grammar, spelling, those typos we all overlook).
I enjoy M/M, F/F and poly/triad fiction. I read romance, but also horror, (urban) fantasy and anything else with magic/shifters in it and have no problem with erotica either.
I prefer books under 70K, but will consider longer works as well.

Ischa

message 2: by Kenny (last edited Sep 21, 2020 02:45AM) (new)

Kenny (kenny_valentine) | 75 comments Hi Ischa,

I just finished the fifth draft of my manuscript and I would love to get some feedback on it if your offer still stands.

Two Lies and a Truth is a character-driven, YA Contemporary/Coming-of-Age, finished at 92000 words.

Alex’s parents are gone. Her baby brother gone. Her uncle, still there, but gone. Now she has nothing left to hold onto. Nothing but a promise her best friend, Abby, made her. Abby will never leave her alone.

Seven years later, high school starts, and that promise takes on a different meaning for Alex. She becomes aware of deeply-rooted feelings for Abby. Feelings she tries to escape, but to no avail. Driven by self-destructive tendencies and past whispers of broken promises, Alex is willing to pay any price to hold onto Abby. Even if it means keeping secrets from her best friend. Even if it means telling a lie. Or two.

But the pile of lies becomes a mountain and the staircase of secrets falls apart. Will Abby keep her promise to Alex when she finds out?

The story follows the viewpoints of Alex and Abby throughout high-school, exploring the themes of friendship, love, family, mental and emotional struggles. The novel contains sensitive subjects, including: child abuse, substance abuse, sexual assault, self-harm, underage sex and profanity.

If this sounds interesting to you, please let me know!

Regards,
Kenny

message 3: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Jones | 4 comments Ischa,

I have an extremely dark M/M romance just for you.

My book is 42k words short story companion to my first novel. It's a gut-wrenching tale of a man struggling with his own demons. Lots of elements of horror, angst, and literary fiction. If you enjoy darker things then I think you will enjoy this story.

Synopsis: What happens when the hunter becomes the hunted?

When instead of running he is being chased? Richard doesn't understand when or how things turned. He just knows the tightness in his chest intensifies, the demon is growing restless.

All he wants to do is go back in time and stop this whole thing from happening. Starting with the first day when he saw Beau in the interrogation room, Richard wants to stop himself from becoming mesmerized by those haunting emerald eyes and that otherworldly face.

He would stop the world from turning, the heavens opening up and beaming sunlight down on them. He would stop his heart, his lungs, and all the creatures in the world just so that he would never ever have to meet Beau.Cage the Night

message 4: by Arcadian (new)

Arcadian Barrett (a_nathair) Greetings, Ischa

I think you would be a good fit for my book (series, but I've only got the first one completed).

Logline: While battling crises of identity and Kingdom throughout, warrior princess Malia Ausan learns some dark truths about the impact her family has had on the Kingdom, the “Uncharted Territory” they’re at war with, and even her own past.

Synopsis: The Kingdom of Camoor proclaims itself as a place where anyone can reach their full potential – future seeing magicians Class citizens when they come of age, giving them the perfect job and social status to help citizens live their lives to the fullest. Humans aren’t alone in Camoor and its territories, but the strong and silver-blooded elves that live among them don’t share the same rights as its human citizens.

The novel centers around Malia, the princess who cares only about two things: her military prowess and her elf girlfriend. The idealistic heir to the throne, she’s fiercely protective, competitive, and loyal. But that fierce loyalty will be questioned when the Queen hands down punishment by sending her out on a military rite of passage several years early and in disgrace after she kills a fellow soldier. Going through Nadun under the guidance of a cruel General who doesn’t care about her royal status, she decides to take this as an opportunity to prove to herself and to her mother that she has what it takes to lead. But Malia learns the truth of what living under the boot of the Kingdom looks like, especially for those who don’t adhere to the new rules. Everything she learns seems to paint a far darker picture regarding the legacy of her Kingdom than she was raised believing. She realizes that she has to determine her place within it.

Let me know if you are interested.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Samuel | 3 comments Hi Ischa.....
I am seeking some beginning feedback on only the initial 7 pages (about 5,000 words) of story about a dangerous trek across the Alps. Yep, it will have LGBT elements in it and a range of characters. This is only the ‘set up’ of the story, so I am looking to see if the opening and initial character descriptions worked for the reader. My working title is... Until I Say Good-bye. Please let me know if you are interested

I also have a novella that is not quite ready for prime time (about 50,000 words, so that my be possible in a few months if you like my style). Remember Me is a M/M gay story set in conservative North Carolina. THX, Michael