What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Picture book. Some kids trapped on a runaway river boat in China. Read in early 1970's.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (last edited Sep 19, 2020 10:39AM) (new)

Greg | 5 comments I am trying to find a children's picture book I read in the early 1970's as a kid.
The story is about two young children who find themselves stuck on a runaway boat on a Chinese river and I think the boat was some sort of traditional Chinese dragon boat or a Chinese junk.
The book was for younger children and was colourfully illustrated.
I have been searching for this book for quite a while but without any success and I'd appreciate any help or information please as I remember that this was my first library book that I borrowed as a child.
Many thanks from Greg.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Sep 19, 2020 10:47AM) (new)

Kris | 35346 comments Mod
Grey, what is the story's time period?

Are the children Chinese? How do they get trapped (alone?) on the runaway river boat? Who and where are their parents/family?

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg | 5 comments Kris wrote: "Grey, what is the story's time period?

Are the children Chinese? How do they get trapped (alone?) on the runaway river boat? Who and where are their parents/family?"

Thanks for the reply Kris.
I honestly can't remember the time setting of the story or how they got on the boat or anything about their parents.
I was about 7 years old when I read the book so I am surprised I can even remember those vague details from way back then.
It did have a happy ending and I think there was a Chinese dragon that was either a part of the boat itself (like the bow of a Viking boat) or a separate dragon that helped the children in some way.
The book was definitely a children's picture book that was beautifully illustrated.
I hope that information I provided helps!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Can you describe the illustrations - e.g., simple or detailed, realistic or cartoon-like, painted watercolors or bold graphics, bright or dark colors, black & white? Do they remind you of a similar illustrator or picture book author?

message 5: by Kris (new)

A shot in the dark - "Dragon Boat Festival" (1974) by Julia Wu & Ella Y Quan turned up while searching on Worldcat.org (which is good for old children's books).

https://www.worldcat.org/title/dragon...
Publisher: Los Angeles City Schools.
Subjects: English literature -- Adaptations -- Juvenile literature. Chinese literature -- Adaptations -- Juvenile literature.

Search using WorldCat.org:
https://www.worldcat.org/advancedsear...
Keyword: chinese boat illustrations | 1950-1980 ? | Juvenile | Fiction | Book | English

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 5 comments Kris wrote: "Can you describe the illustrations - e.g., simple or detailed, realistic or cartoon-like, painted watercolors or bold graphics, bright or dark colors, black & white? Do they remind you of a similar..."
It was very brightly illustrated in a detailed cartoon like way.
I seem to remember there were lots of bright orange and reds in the illustrations which also had very bold graphics.
I can't think of any other children's authors or illustrators off hand that had a similar style.

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg | 5 comments Kris wrote: "A shot in the dark - "Dragon Boat Festival" (1974) by Julia Wu & Ella Y Quan turned up while searching on Worldcat.org (which is good for old children's books).

https://www.worldcat.org/title/drag..."

No, that isn't the book. Sorry.

message 8: by Mai (last edited Sep 23, 2020 12:48PM) (new)

Mai | 1254 comments Hi! Searching Abebooks (also very helpful when searching for older books) this book came up: The Pedlar of Colored Threads by
Winifred V. Shattuck (I can't find a link on Goodreads!). It was published in 1946. Seller description: "Story is of boy's dream of sailing a river boat (Nanking) and his encounter with a magic dragon." You can see a picture of the cover and one of the inside illustrations here: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...
The cover has the colors that you describe so I thought I'd mention it just in case!

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg | 5 comments Thank you for your reply Mai.
Sorry that isn't the book I am looking for unfortunately.
I'm sure that the book I am looking for was published in the late 1960's or early 1970's.