Play Book Tag discussion

Persuasion
This topic is about Persuasion
September 2020: Psychological > [pb]Persuasion, by Jane Austen, 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 19, 2020 02:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5692 comments I have often said that Persuasion is my second favorite (or even favorite) Jane Austen book. However, I read it so long ago, I didn't feel confident in that judgment. Thanks to my wonderfully faulty memory, I just had the pleasure of reading it again, almost as though for the first time. I had a few false starts. The beginning was so dull, at first I thought I put on the wrong audio. I waited several days to try again. Once Anne was front and center, I was happy, and I couldn't stop until I reached the end. (It's now 5am and I can't sleep until I write down some thoughts.) I really enjoyed the depth of feeling in this book. I think Anne reveals more of Austen's own maturity, and her understanding of psychology and character. In some ways the relationships in this book are more realistic than in say, Pride and Prejudice. At times I wished that Anne could speak with him more directly, but Austen's writing made me truly understand why she couldn't do that.

The beginning of this book was a disappointment, especially compared to Pride and Prejudice, which has one of the best first lines in history. In both books, the protagonist has silly parents that we meet at the beginning. But Lizzie's parents are funny, while Anne's father is just vain and unpleasant. Most of the characters were well drawn, but Austen always seems to have one character (who must be based on a real man) who is charming and good lucking, but a real scoundrel. He has everyone fooled except the protagonist.

Theresa | 7617 comments Persuasion is my favorite Austen. And one of the aspects that so struck me when I first read it at 23, and every time since, is how Anne has no one to talk to, being surrounded by narcissistic selfish people. Almost all her conversations are internal. Wouldn't someone who lived for years in a world where no one conversed with you lose the facility on conversation, of speaking candidly?

I don't have time for a reread right now, but a couple hours wallowing in one of the film adaptations/series? Absolutely!