What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Snowbird
This topic is about The Snowbird
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Girl's aunt sets her horse free at the end; braided horse hair ring? Spoiler ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 3 comments I read this book as a child around ten years ago, and the book was old/used. Felt like an American West setting, but I could be wrong. At the beginning, the main character and her brother (younger, with eyes described as the color of violets) are on a train or a carriage to go stay with their relative (father I think, but could have been uncle?). Somehow, the girl comes across a wild-spirited and beautiful silver or white horse and captures it. At some point the father's young girlfriend or new wife comes to live with them. The girl struggles to connect with the stepmom. Eventually I think the stepmom suffers a miscarriage or there's some sort of child death? The girl spends an incredibly long amount of time braiding an intricate ring of the horse's silver tail hair for the stepmom. However, the stepmom ends up setting the beautiful horse free and the girl is heartbroken.

At the time, the ending of the book was terrible to me (I was only 10 or 11) and clearly I tried to forget the book. Now that I'm older, I feel nostalgic for this book and want to find it, but Google has been no help.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35362 comments Mod
Cassie, what's the genre (which we need to add to the topic header/title) - e.g., historical western for teens or kids? How old are the main characters? (I added a spoiler alert to the header.)

message 3: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 3 comments Thank you for the spoiler add! Unfortunately I don't remember either of those details; I was a total horse girl as a kid and thought it was a typical horse girl book but it was definitely NOT. It was a (donated?) book in my 5th grade classroom but felt inappropriate for that age. The girl might've been anywhere between 12 and 20, and the brother was younger.

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 19, 2020 05:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stephanie A. | 284 comments This must be The Snowbird by Patricia Calvert. It starts the same as described -- on a train to stay w/ their uncle after their parents die -- and I found a reference to the brother's eyes being "puddled underneath with lavender" and a horsehair ring.

(The funny thing is that I haven't properly read it, but your comment about it not being a typical horse book is what made me think this might be it -- I too bought it for that reason, and I remember skimming through part of it/reading about it later and thinking "this is not what I expected.")

message 5: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 3 comments What a quick find, thank you! That’s the one for sure; seems like other readers agree it was quite a lot for a middle grade book!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Snowbird (other topics)