What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Dynasty
This topic is about Dynasty
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult Historical Fiction. Set in China/Hong Kong 1900-1970 ish. Spoilers ahead. The story was about an English woman who went to Hong Kong with her father around 1900. (Rose?). Father in the military band. She married into Chinese family. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Bauman | 3 comments I want to say I read this in the 90's or early 2000's (It was a paperback that was already old and worn when I read it). I know it talked about when the Hong Kong lease with the UK WOULD expire, so it was written before, or well before, 1997. I think the cover was red, and had a dragon on it.

The story was about an English woman who went to Hong Kong with her father around 1900. (I want to say her name was Rose, but that could be wrong). Her father was in the military, but something involving the band.

I have been searching for this for months but haven't found anything.

SPOILER

She married into a Chinese family and the book revolves around the life of her and her children. I believe her husbands name was Jonathan, but she was actually in love with his brother (Harry maybe?). I think one of the children became a famous actress in France.

The book took place mostly in Kong Kong, but I believe that there were brief portions in China.

I believe the main character eventually died from stomach cancer, but had a large dinner party at their house on Victoria Peak with her children and grand children shortly before dying.

Sarah Bauman | 3 comments Additional details.

Husband proposed to her on a yacht.

I'd say the writing style reminded me of James Clavell, but it wasn't James Clavell.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35372 comments Mod
Sarah, that's a good start. Copy plot details from your message #1 to the topic header/title, so someone can recognize your book from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

We have thousands of book requests. We close threads with vague headers.

Click the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

Sarah Bauman | 3 comments I FINALLY figured out what this book was called. Dynasty by Robert S. Elegant.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35372 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Sarah. Dynasty by Robert S. Elegant

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dynasty (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert S. Elegant (other topics)