What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Sci-fi/Fantasy book. A checkered interdimensional (?) place is accessible to the fast, slow, or slippery. Has an invisible creature called the Slow, time warping, and making a motorcycle out of a baby carriage. Read in early 1990s.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Guywithnohead (new)

Guywithnohead | 10 comments My brother read me this book when I was too young to read. He doesn't remember it, and I remember just enough to be confused. The story is about a man who regularly goes to a strange place with black-and-white checked tiles everywhere, that you can only get to if you're really fast, really slow, really slippery, or really know your way around town (like the man does). There's also a kid, who gets there because he's really slippery. Something strange starts happening involving time; the kid decides to go get a time-warping being (I believe called the Time Warp) to fix it. He involves another guy, who steps on the tail of an almost-invisible creature called the Slow (that hangs out in the tiled place because it's so slow), which bites him. The Time Warp (if that's what he's called) proves uncooperative and turns the bitten guy into a baby. He tries to turn the kid into a baby as well, and transforms himself into a baby carriage; the kid overcomes the time-warping by saying his ABCs and tying his own shoes, then turns the Time Warp into a motorcycle to ride back and save the day, whatever it needed to be saved from. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS WAS? I'm sure I couldn't make up something this crazy, but I have to prove to myself that it was real! I read it (or had it read to me) in the early nineties. It was illustrated, enough to be considered a picture book, I think; I don't think it had chapters. Thanks!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35345 comments Mod
Guywithnohead, around what year did you read this book? A range of years is fine.

message 3: by Guywithnohead (new)

Guywithnohead | 10 comments Kris wrote: "Guywithnohead, around what year did you read this book? A range of years is fine."

Like I say in the original post, it was the early nineties.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19567 comments Would you say it was around 30 pages long, like an average picture book?

message 5: by Guywithnohead (new)

Guywithnohead | 10 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Would you say it was around 30 pages long, like an average picture book?"

Honestly, no idea. It had enough pages for a fairly elaborate story to happen.

message 7: by Guywithnohead (new)

Guywithnohead | 10 comments No, I don't think so. Doesn't sound like it.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19567 comments Might want to check the following lists to see if anything looks familiar....

Books Published by Harlin Quist

A Page from Hellz-a-Pop-Up Catalog of Obscure Children's Bones & Books