Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

The Fireplace > The Fireplace

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 602 comments Mod
The place to throw your shot glasses, aka puns, if you want.
Long story short: The Fireplace comes from Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, a bar where the puns run rife and everyone's welcome to spend the evening drinking, telling stories, or just commiserating with each other.

Spider Robinson, though he never came out and said it, has hinted heavily over the years that Callahan and his wife Sally were from a certain unnamed planet at some unnamed time in the far future and that they had the ability to move through time at a whim ....

message 2: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments And I thought it was a reference to The Girl in the Fireplace 😼

message 3: by Lori S. (last edited Sep 19, 2020 02:23PM) (new)

Rick wrote: "And I thought it was a reference to The Girl in the Fireplace 😼"

Step up and make a toast to life, the world, or make a pun and throw the glass in!

The Girl in the Fireplace, while an OK story, has only a passing similarity here - namely that there's a fireplace involved ...

And remember: Time Travelers Strictly Cash

message 4: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments A toast? How about to RBG, one of the greatest people who ever lived. She left us all too soon.

message 5: by Lori S. (new)

Rick wrote: "A toast? How about to RBG, one of the greatest people who ever lived. She left us all too soon."

A toast to a great human being.

description

message 6: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments I generally frown upon puns, I cannot dislike any idea that is inspired by Spider Robinson.
One of my literary heroes!

Had never heard the 'Mike and Sally might be time lords' theory, but I like it.

message 7: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Rick wrote: "A toast? How about to RBG, one of the greatest people who ever lived. She left us all too soon."

To RBG...!

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Just finished watching 'Hand of fear'.

So, to Sarah Jane Smith!

"Don't you forget me now."

message 9: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments To Sarah Jane Smith!

message 10: by Lori S. (new)

Yes, to Sarah Jane!

message 11: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments To Elisabeth Sladen!

message 12: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments We just finished watching all of the Sarah Jane Smith Chronicles, thanks to you all recommending them. I love how K-9 dislikes Mr. Smith as much as "he/it" dislikes him. And the 2 episodes with doctors making appearances reminded me how much I LOVE Matt Smith, and how tedious David Tennant can be. Don't want to hi-jack the discussion, but Tom Baker was my first doctor, so he lives in my heart. But Matt Smith is the quintessential doctor--you really do believe he's an alien, he can be terrifying to his enemies, but he's all child-like innocence, and an old softie at heart. Sigh...Okay, enough of my fan-girling.

message 13: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Fiona wrote: "We just finished watching all of the Sarah Jane Smith Chronicles, thanks to you all recommending them. I love how K-9 dislikes Mr. Smith as much as "he/it" dislikes him. And the 2 episodes with doc..."

I enjoyed the Sarah Jane Chronicles. Not great, but they are a lot of fun. And I think it’s quite humorous as our takes on Tennant and Smith are completely opposite. I think Tennant captures the truly alien and Smith’s juvenile antics get tedious after awhile.

And a toast to K-9, the best darn robot dog ever made more than once.

message 14: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Fiona wrote: "We just finished watching all of the Sarah Jane Smith Chronicles, thanks to you all recommending them. I love how K-9 dislikes Mr. Smith as much as "he/it" dislikes him. And the 2 episodes with doc..."

Sarah Jane was fun and seemed to really embrace its Who-history, which Iiked.
At the time, new WHO was getting kind of convoluted and overly serious and Torchwood was pretending it had nothing to do with Who, so SJA felt very Who to me.
So love that Nicholas Courtney's last bit of TV work before he passed was the Brig teaming up with Sarah Jane Smith.

message 15: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments Travis wrote: "Fiona wrote: "We just finished watching all of the Sarah Jane Smith Chronicles, thanks to you all recommending them. I love how K-9 dislikes Mr. Smith as much as "he/it" dislikes him. And the 2 epi..."

Wait, what? I don't think we saw that episode--maybe it was in the first 3 seasons? We watched those a while ago--watched 4 and 5 recently, so they're fresh in my mind. But we've been re-watching my old VHS tapes of The Avengers, to honor the passing of Lady Diana Rigg--and right there, in the last episode with her, right before the torch is passed to Tara King (Linda Thorson) was Nicholas Courtney with NO MUSTACHE!! He was playing, what else, a soldier, who gets shrunk by a machine, then washed down the drain--killed in the first half of the episode. But wow! That was in 1967---before he was the Brig?

message 16: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments Rick wrote: "Fiona wrote: "We just finished watching all of the Sarah Jane Smith Chronicles, thanks to you all recommending them. I love how K-9 dislikes Mr. Smith as much as "he/it" dislikes him. And the 2 epi..."

See, that's fine by me. Unlike many in today's fractured political milieu, I'im okay that you and I disagree. My daughter would fight me also, since her heart belongs to David Tennant's Doctor. But I still love her--even if she's wrong! LOL.

message 17: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Fiona wrote: "... But I still love her--even if she's wrong! LOL. "

There ya go! That’s the attitude!

message 18: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Fiona wrote: "Wait, what? I don't think we saw that episode--maybe it was in the first 3 seasons? We watched those a while ago--..."

He was in Enemy of the Bane from the second season. I think he was planned to be in the episodes with the Doctor for the wedding, but he’d passed away.

message 19: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Fiona wrote: "Travis wrote: "Fiona wrote: "We just finished watching all of the Sarah Jane Smith Chronicles, thanks to you all recommending them. I love how K-9 dislikes Mr. Smith as much as "he/it" dislikes him..."

I remember that episode!
Always fun to watch old Brit shows and play spot the WHO actor.
Jon Pertwee was in an Avengers episode, playing an eccentric retired soldier.

message 20: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Rick wrote: "Fiona wrote: "Wait, what? I don't think we saw that episode--maybe it was in the first 3 seasons? We watched those a while ago--..."

He was in Enemy of the Bane from the second season. I think he ..."

Yeah, they had hoped to bring the Brig back and there was talk of having Sylvester McCoy on, as the 7th Doctor.

I kept hoping that Mickey would show up, It could be a Smith Family reunion!

message 21: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Kresal | 105 comments Travis wrote: "Rick wrote: "Fiona wrote: "Wait, what? I don't think we saw that episode--maybe it was in the first 3 seasons? We watched those a while ago--..."

He was in Enemy of the Bane from the second season..."

I know, from what RTD and Sophie Aldred revealed to DWM in 2012-13, that there were plans being formed for Ace to appear. The seeds of which had been laid in The Death of the Doctor. As I think RTD had put it, the seventies fans had their moments with Jo and the Brigadier, and it was time for a shoutout to eighties fans. Only for Lis Sladen to fall ill, sadly.

Interestingly, we only got the Brigadier initially because Freema Agyeman wasn't able to reprise the role of Martha as was originally planned. The Brig became a fairly late substitute, but one which served the story and the audience far better. One only wishes Modern Who had done so before Nick Courtney's health got really bad in 2009-10.

message 22: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Travis wrote: "Yeah, they had hoped to bring the Brig back and there was talk of having Sylvester McCoy on, as the 7th Doctor.

I kept hoping that Mickey would show up, It could be a Smith Family reunion!"

Both of those would have been cool.

A toast to the Brig!

message 23: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Matthew wrote: "... One only wishes Modern Who had done so before Nick Courtney's health got really bad in 2009-10."

That would have great to have Courtney return on new Who. If only, if only ...

message 24: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Rick wrote: "Travis wrote: "Yeah, they had hoped to bring the Brig back and there was talk of having Sylvester McCoy on, as the 7th Doctor.

I kept hoping that Mickey would show up, It could be a Smith Family r..."

To Brigadier, Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart!

and the late, great Nicholas Courtney.

message 25: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments And because 2020 won't let up:

A toast to the late Geoffrey Palmer.

Great actor in comedy and drama and has the distinction of being killed in three different Doctor Who stories.

message 26: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments To Geoffrey Palmer.

message 27: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments A toast to losing that weight that's been sitting on my chest for the last four years.

We still have a lot of work and worry ahead of us, but we at least are steering the bus away from the cliff.

message 28: by Lori S. (new)

To Geoffrey Palmer. May he find rest.

message 29: by Lori S. (new)

To the end of the election and yes, a huge weight off my chest also. It's going to be a slog from here, but worth the effort.

message 30: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments Travis wrote: "And because 2020 won't let up:

A toast to the late Geoffrey Palmer.

Great actor in comedy and drama and has the distinction of being killed in three different Doctor Who stories."

Do you mean with 3 different doctors? Or 3 different stories? Or both? I know he looks familiar, but the episodes aren't springing to mind. We just finished the last of the Sarah Jane Chronicles--great stuff!

message 31: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Travis wrote: "A toast to losing that weight that's been sitting on my chest for the last four years.

We still have a lot of work and worry ahead of us, but we at least are steering the bus away from the cliff."

Hear! Hear! Hip, hip, hooray! Hip, hip, hurray!

message 32: by Lori S. (new)

Fiona wrote: "Travis wrote: "Do you mean with 3 different doctors? Or 3 different stories?"

Geoffrey Palmer did two serials with Jon Pertwee: The Silurians and The Mutants.

He's the captain of the ship in Voyage of the Damned the Christmas episode with David Tenant.

He's best known for his role opposite Dame Judy Dench in the rom-com 'As Time Goes By', one of my favorites.

message 33: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Can't believe I forgot to post this:

Here's to Sir Sean Connery: My Bond and I don't care what anybody says, I like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

To Sean Connery!

message 34: by Lori S. (new)

Travis wrote: "Can't believe I forgot to post this:

Here's to Sir Sean Connery: My Bond and I don't care what anybody says, I like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

To Sean Connery!"

To Sean Connery!

message 35: by Rick (last edited Nov 11, 2020 03:36PM) (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Even though Daniel Craig is my Bond, to Sean Connery!

And League of Extraordinary Gentlemen isn’t that great a movie, it’s not that bad. Certainly not as bad as Watchmen was. That was an epic failure.

message 36: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments Pierce Brosnan is MY Bond. But we're watching some of Sean's movies in tribute to him. When Lady Diana Rigg passed on, we watched the 5 seasons we own of The Avengers. She rocked those bodysuits! And over the weekend we watched The Mutants to honor Geoffrey Palmer--I think The Silurians is up next in our queue.

message 37: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments (Yeah, I need to rewatch my Emma Peal Avengers box set as well)

message 38: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments Did you know how she got that name on the show? When Honor Blackman left the show, Diana Rigg took it on as a lark, never meaning to do as many seasons as she did. But the BBC guys in charge of things, sat around pondering her name. "We want her to have man-appeal," was one of their issues. That became "m-appeal", which morphed into Emma Peal. Amusing, no? And she certainly did have that, in those black catsuits!

One thing I thought was odd in the earlier ones, the black and white seasons, was that when she and Steed aren't drinking champagne, or whiskey, they're drinking coffee. Not tea, as in the later episodes. In fact, in the very last one with her, when Tara King is walking up the stairs to his place as she leaves, she tells her, "He likes to have his tea stirred anti-clockwise." So then tea, but earlier, coffee.

message 39: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Fiona wrote: "Did you know how she got that name on the show? When Honor Blackman left the show, Diana Rigg took it on as a lark, never meaning to do as many seasons as she did. But the BBC guys in charge of thi..."

I’ve heard that anecdote before, but I’ve always thought it was apocryphal.
I hadn’t notice the coffee-tea progression. Interesting.

message 40: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Rick wrote: "Even though Daniel Craig is my Bond, to Sean Connery!

And League of Extraordinary Gentlemen isn’t that great a movie, it’s not that bad. Certainly not as bad as Watchmen was. That was an epic fai..."

League is one of those movies, that I like, despite knowing it is flawed.
Some movies, I will fight over, and some, I just go 'I know, but I'm gonna watch it anyway'.

message 41: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Rick wrote: "(Yeah, I need to rewatch my Emma Peal Avengers box set as well)"

I did an Avengers binge years ago, but all that was available was the Mrs Peel and Tara King seasons.
I'd like to see the others.
Maybe when I finish my Gerry Anderson binge...?

message 42: by Lori S. (last edited Nov 13, 2020 07:12AM) (new)

Re: coffee drinking vs. tea: that may have been Sydney Newman's influence. He came from Canada, where coffee, like here in the states, is a more likely occurrence. When he left for other parts, the English preference for tea took over.

message 43: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Lori S. wrote: "Re: coffee drinking vs. tea: that may have been Sydney Newman's influence. He came from Canada, where coffee, like here in the states, is a more likely ocurance. When he left for other parts, the E..."

That makes sense.

message 44: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Travis wrote: "League is one of those movies, that I like, despite knowing it is flawed.
Some movies, I will fight over, and some, I just go 'I know, but I'm gonna watch it anyway'."

I’m like that too. Some films just click for you. The trick is to recognize the difference and admit that difference. Otherwise it can just sound like you’re trying to convince yourself.

message 45: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Travis wrote: "Rick wrote: "(Yeah, I need to rewatch my Emma Peal Avengers box set as well)"

I did an Avengers binge years ago, but all that was available was the Mrs Peel and Tara King seasons. ..."

I think some of the early seasons of The Avengers, like Doctor Who, has some lost episodes. I’ve not done research on this, but I think I remember reading that at one point, that a bunch of the pre- Honor Blackman stuff is gone. ... And I just checked Wikipedia, always dicey at best, and most of the first season is lost/missing. Only about 4 episodes survive. Very sad.

message 46: by Lori S. (last edited Nov 13, 2020 07:23AM) (new)

There are a whole slew of early BBC shows either missing episodes or missing entirely thanks to the policies of the day. Like with Doctor Who, there are people out there searching other archives for those shows and episodes, but most are pretty much lost to history.

To be fair, TV was treated as an after thought for the most part, and even here in the states there are shows which were shown live from the 30s through the early 60s which no one thought anyone would be interested in rewatching, so no real effort was made to archive them (not to mention the expense of storing film, etc.) or they were taped over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_te...

message 47: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Rick wrote: "Travis wrote: "Rick wrote: "(Yeah, I need to rewatch my Emma Peal Avengers box set as well)"

I did an Avengers binge years ago, but all that was available was the Mrs Peel and Tara King seasons. ...."

I know the pre-Mrs Peel years are spotty.
I've seen a couple Honor Blackman episodes, but none before that.

message 48: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1454 comments Rick wrote: "Travis wrote: "League is one of those movies, that I like, despite knowing it is flawed.
Some movies, I will fight over, and some, I just go 'I know, but I'm gonna watch it anyway'."

I’m like that..."

I've reached the point where I'm self-aware of the fact that I love a lot of junk, but don't really care to justify it.

I occasionally try to convert some poor soul that needs culture, but I'm too busy tracking down old comics and 70's sci-fi to worry much.

message 49: by Rick (last edited Nov 13, 2020 01:53PM) (new)

Rick | 1340 comments Okay, 70s sci-fi... another couple shows I LOVED which are not great shows by any means, but were cherished favorites:

Voyagers! with Jon-Eric Hexum and Meeno Peluce (sort of an American take on Doctor Who, had been renewed for a second season, but Hexum died unexpectedly from a mis-loaded gun accident, similar to how Brandon Lee died, but I think with Hexum it was self-inflicted).
Fantastic Journey with Roddy McDowall, Ike Eisenmann & Jared Martin (an odd mix of people are trapped in the Bermuda Triangle, looking for a way out, so much potential that got squatted with small budgets and poor writing).
QED with Sam Waterston & Julian Glover (sort of like Indiana Jones meets Nikola Tesla, but set at the dawn of the 20th century; didn’t hold up well when I tied to watch it again about 6-7 years ago).
Planet of the Apes with Roddy McDowall (I do love me some talking apes!)
Tales of the Gold Monkey with Stephen Collins & Roddy McDowall (kind of a different rift on Indiana Jones & pulp adventure set among the islands of the South Pacific - and YES I’m a big Roddy McDowall fan, wished I’d had a chance to meet him).

message 50: by Lori S. (new)

Battlestar Galactica comes to mind. These days I know it was really bad SF, but I was about 8 when it came on and I was enthralled.

« previous 1