Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Questions > Dead Goodreads Authors

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Davess (markdavess) | 6 comments The title explains it.

I'm wondering what happens with the pages of dead authors who are also Goodreads authors and therefore control the editing of their own pages, but then, of course, can't edit it after their own death to update it to reflect their death.

I was caused to think of this via David Graeber's page. David's life was sadly and unexpectedly cut short on September 2nd this year (2020). See here: David Graeber - Wikipedia. Funnily enough I communicated briefly with him on twitter not long before, when he retweeted something of mine about him.

I didn't notice he was a goodreads author at first, so clicked to edit it before realising that, naturally, I couldn't. I spent a good hour trying to find information here about this, but can find none, plus found a page online of recently dead authors and while searching found that almost every one that wasn't a goodreads author had that fact recorded on their page here, however recently, but the ones that were goodreads authors didn't, though I didn't search for so long as to figure out how far back this is true.

Maybe 'superlibrarians' or someone figure it out and fix it eventually, but I see no direct, easy, findable way to deal with this. It's not a huge problem, of course, to leave the pages as if they were still alive, but at some point surely...

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5307 comments Mark wrote: "The title explains it.

I'm wondering what happens with the pages of dead authors who are also Goodreads authors and therefore control the editing of their own pages, but then, of course, can't ed..."

Hi Mark

See this recent post. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'd recommend adding a link to an obituary or online news post.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44178 comments Mod
Please use the Contact Us page. And yes, a link to (or copy of) an obituary or similar will be needed.

Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.