Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ceelee's Astonishing August Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (last edited Sep 17, 2020 11:11AM) (new)

Ceelee | 208 comments Greetings everyone! Finally getting over here to post my August reads! I have an astonishing SEVEN books that I read/finished last month! I worked overtime to get all my Summer Challenge books read by the end of the month. It was crazy but a lot of fun !

First I finished an abandoned book! The Group by Mary McCarthy.

The Group  by Mary McCarthy

I had started it in January and I really liked it but being a slow reader it was challenging because the chapters were so long! 30-40 pages easy. Great novel about 1930s group of Vassar graduates written in the early 1960s. A classic of women's literature.

I also read an ARC from Book Sirens called Risky Whiskey by Lucy Lakestone.

Risky Whiskey by Lucy Lakestone

It is the first in a series about a group of bartenders from Florida who attend a Cocktailia convention in New Orleans. It was so funny and a good mystery and a bit of RomCom . And Nawllins y'all! I loved it!

Next book The Last House Guest by Megan Miranda

The Last House Guest by Megan Miranda

I had a little trouble getting into it because the story would skip back and forth from the present to the previous summer and I dislike that in a novel. A personal pet peeve. As the story went on it got better. I liked it but didn't love it. The rich vs poor stuff got old pretty quickly. Way overdone.

Now on to a classic by Edith Wharton! Summer!

Summer by Edith Wharton

The book is only about 125 pp so a quick read I love Edith Wharton but never read this particular book It is a romance novel about a young woman who had been "rescued" from the Mountain and raised in a small town in rural New England. Her benefactor was well respected in the community and while that made her acceptable, she was always considered an outsider. She falls in love with a guy who is connected to a "good" family and that sets off a chain of events that are tragic and really Ms Wharton leaves us with the question if this was really a happy ending for her. Small book, complicated story.

The next book I read was a book I have been avoiding for years because of the story: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I like Ray Bradbury but the idea of reading a book about burning books was just too uncomfortable but I read it for a task. The book itself is pretty short, maybe about 150 pages. The edition I have contains bonus material about the writing of the book. It was a very good novel for sure but creeped me out especially in our current situation in America. And this brook was written in 1951!

One of my favorites of the month was If It Bleeds by Stephen King.

If It Bleeds by Stephen King

I actually started it in April. It is a collection of four novellas and I personally liked every one of them! Mr Harringan's phone was so cool, funny and sad. The Life of Chuck was bizarre but of all of the stories, I felt like this one didn't have as much of a strong ending. It was like he wasn't sure where to go with it and just ended it. Rat was so funny and classic Stephen King. If It Bleeds was amazing and could have been a full novel The title comes form an old saying in newspaper editing "If it bleeds, it leads". Pretty much still that way.

Finally, I turned my attention to King's son Joe Hill and read his short story collection 20th Century Ghosts

. 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

Lots of great stories here and a good variety of spooky. I chose it for a task for a book similar to one you rated 5 stars that other people have read. It's fun looking at your Read Books and see what comes up! My 5 star book was Ghost Story by Peter Straub. which is i also a great read!

That's it for this month! I have about 9 ARCs on my Kindle app right now so I have a lot of reading to do between Rangers games and the FANTASTIC DALLAS STARS who will be playing for the Stanley Cup this weird season!
They are the only of our local teams that are doing well!

Happy Reading everyone! I will get back to The Sun Down Motel soon, promise!

message 2: by Ann (last edited Sep 17, 2020 06:00PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14700 comments Hi Ceelee - wow nice month! Finishing both a previously abandoned and an avoided book must be quite satisfying.
Between a fun arc and the disturbing Fahrenheit 451 your choices swung in different directions. Variety is always nice!
You've reminded me that both If It Bleeds and son Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts are in my toppling tbr piles of books. Soon!!
I'm watching the NHL bubble games avidly too, congrats on the Dallas Stars winning the Western Conference Championship. I really thought the Vegas Golden Knights would have taken the series a bit further. The cup final series should be fun to watch!

message 3: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 208 comments Ho Ann! I have always been an eclectic reader. One of my friends was amazed that I could go from a Stephen King book to Charles Dickens and enjoy both. My dad was like that. My aunt said when he was a kid he would read everything. He even read Little Women which thrilled the 9 vyear old me to pieces!
I am so excited for the Stanley Cup! Vegas Golden Knights is an amazing team and were a great opponent!

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3637 comments Interesting assortment of books for sure! I lost interest in hockey after the Avalanche got eliminated. Am very interested in the NBA right now. The Nuggets have surprised everybody....including me!

message 5: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 208 comments OOPS Sorry about that Melodie! It was my Stars who eliminated your Avs.
I really hope Nuggets win their series! I am not a fan of the Lakers even though my guy likes them.