Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > November 2020 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments At this point, we've all been stuck in our houses for what seems like forever, so let's do a bit of traveling via books.
November's theme will be non-fiction books about historical places.

A PROPER NOMINATION MUST INCLUDE:
Title and author - You don't have to link the book but you do have to include both title and author for members who might want to look up the book.
Location- What historical place are we visiting?
Genre- Remember we're looking for non-fiction books
LEAVING ANY OF THESE THINGS OUT DISQUALIFIES THE NOMINATION.

REMINDERS
*NO SELF NOMINATIONS - These will be deleted without notice and members may also be deleted without notice.
*If it is a book in series, the series needs to be read in order- Ex. You can't nominate book 5 in a series if the group hasn't already read 1-4. Please don't tell me a book in a series can be read as a stand alone novel. It doesn't matter. We go in order.
*All members get ONE nomination and ONE second - Please clearly state which one you are doing. The thread can be easily clogged up which leads to the mods missing things.

The full nomination process/rules thread can be found here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Previous group reads can be found here - https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Nominations will close on Sept 21st.

message 2: by William (new)

William Rham | 20 comments The Battle for New York: The City at the Heart of the American Revolution by Barnet Schecter, a non-fiction history of New York City and its environs during the Revolutionary War.

message 3: by Simon (new)

Simon I read it back in May, but it’s really good - it’s “The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Family & Defiance During the Blitz” by Erik Larson. It’s about Winston Churchill and England in WWII.

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 564 comments I'll nominate Dismembering Lahui: A History of the Hawaiian Nation to 1887 by Jonathan Kamakawiwo'ole Osorio, which covers the history of the Kingdom of Hawaii from the onset of constitutional government in 1840 to the Bayonet Constitution of 1887, per the synopsis.

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane | 179 comments I nominate The Fires of Vesuvius: Pompeii Lost and Found by Mary Beard. We are visiting Pompeii.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyhamer) | 256 comments I second The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal 1870-1914, by David McCullough.

message 8: by Stephi (new)

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim | 9 comments I nominate The Golden Maze by Richard Fidler visiting Prague during the time of the Velvet revolution with an Australian comedian in 1989, plus going further back in time to discover old Czechoslovakia in fairy tale wonder. Featuring Slavs and Bohemians.
The Golden Maze by Richard Fidler

message 10: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 461 comments I nominate A Short History of Byzantium by John Julius Norwich. The city is now known as Istanbul and I've been there twice.

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne Lovett | 5 comments Eileen wrote: "I nominate A Short History of Byzantium by John Julius Norwich. The city is now known as Istanbul and I've been there twice."

I'll second that book--it's been on my to-read shelf for some time!

message 12: by Maureen (last edited Sep 17, 2020 07:29AM) (new)

Maureen (maursbooks) | 381 comments In honor of Thanksgiving, I would like to nominate:
Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick
The story of the Mayflower and the settlement of Plymouth

message 13: by ROBERT (last edited Sep 17, 2020 08:06AM) (new)

message 14: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8061 comments I nominate The Island of the Giants by Marc Houser. The place Easter Island

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8061 comments I second The Boys in the Boat by James Brown

Peggyzbooksnmusic | 681 comments I nominate Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing.
Genre: Non-Fiction Historical Adventure

message 17: by Shannon SA (new)

Shannon SA | 1 comments I'd like to nominate High Road To Tibet by John Dwyer

"He starts out in China, where we visit the Great Wall and the clay army, travel to Tibet, Nepal and end up our journey in India."

Genre non-fiction/travel/memoir

message 18: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandihudson) | 8 comments I second Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick. I bought a copy at least a year ago and haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

message 19: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 17, 2020 03:02AM) (new)

Kathryn Gauci | 3 comments I nominate Peacemakers: Six Months That Changed The World by Margaret MacMillan. It's about the details that reshaped nations during the Paris Peace Treaty in 1919, the consequences which are still be felt today.

message 20: by Diego (last edited Sep 17, 2020 03:52AM) (new)

Diego (gambitox) | 53 comments I'd like to nominate Danubia: A Personal History of Habsburg Europe Danubia A Personal History of Habsburg Europe by Simon Winder by Simon Winder

Setting: Austro-Hungarian Empire
Genre: History - Non-fiction

A review says:

‘There is travelogue here, with vivid descriptions of Ukrainian towns, and Transylvanian villages. There are snatches of autobiography too, often anecdotal and whimsical, but sometimes filled with passion about his discoveries of art or music. The main quality of this book, however, is its humour, which sets it aside from the standard histories."

message 21: by Kymm (new)

Kymm | 1755 comments I nominate The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

message 22: by S.A. (last edited Sep 17, 2020 05:40AM) (new)

S.A. Adams I second the nomination for: Enduranceby Alfred Lansing.

message 25: by William (new)

William Rham | 20 comments Maureen wrote: "In honor of Thanksgiving, I would like to nominate:
The story of the Mayflower and the settlement ..."

Is it Jamestown? I thought it was Plymouth.

message 26: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maursbooks) | 381 comments William wrote: "Maureen wrote: "In honor of Thanksgiving, I would like to nominate:
The story of the Mayflower and..."

I do not know where I got Jamestown from I think I must have been looking at another book. The description should be Plymouth.

message 27: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maursbooks) | 381 comments I will second the Splendid and the Vile

message 28: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments I edited my post up to message 27.

message 31: by Tiki-Tami (new)

Tiki-Tami I nominate Island of the Lost: An Extraordinary Story of Survival at the Edge of the World Location is Auckland Island off of New Zealand

message 32: by ROBERT (last edited Sep 17, 2020 10:48AM) (new)

message 34: by Michele (new)

Michele Millington | 28 comments The Lions of Fifth Avenue by Fiona Davis

message 36: by Herman (new)

Herman | 28 comments Jackie wrote: "At this point, we've all been stuck in our houses for what seems like forever, so let's do a bit of traveling via books.
November's theme will be non-fiction books about historical places.

A PRO..."

I nominate
Fifty Years of Silence by Jan Ruff-O'Herne

WWII Dutch Civilians POW to the Japanese in Java I think it's in Indonesia 1941-45

message 37: by Stephi (new)

Stephi | 11 comments Kim wrote: "I nominate The Golden Maze by Richard Fidler visiting Prague during the time of the Velvet revolution with an Australian comedian in 1989, plus going further back i..."

I'll second this nomination.

message 38: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette | 12 comments I second Herman's nomination Fifty Years of Silence by Jan Ruff-O'Herne

message 39: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments I updated my last post up to message 38.

message 40: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 528 comments Jackie wrote: "The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America- missing location"

This is about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and how serial killer H.H. Holmes took advantage of it (though most readers felt there wasn't a strong connection between the two and it reads more like two different books on two different subjects).

message 41: by Leonide (new)

Leonide Martin | 87 comments I nominate The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony That Shaped America. Fascinating account of New Amsterdam (now Manhattan) and how it became a world trading center and early model of equity in a racially diverse settlement.

message 43: by Diane-OP (new)

Diane-OP | 145 comments I’ll second Fires of Vesuvius.

message 44: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 683 comments I would like to nominate For All the Tea in China: Espionage, Empire and the Secret Formula for the World's Favourite Drink by Sarah Rose. It tells the story of a British adventurer who travels secretly through China in the mid-nineteenth century to steal tea plants and the secret to tea manufacturing.

message 45: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 60 comments I second Island of the Lost: An Extraordinary Story of Survival at the Edge of the World

message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica   VanLanduyt | 7 comments I third or am I fourth..(? agree with) the nomination of The Splendid and the Vile.

message 48: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1 comments I would also 2nd Mayflower a story of courage, community, and war
by Nathaniel Philbrick

message 49: by Jackie (last edited Sep 20, 2020 09:51AM) (new)

message 50: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments Robin wrote: "Jackie wrote: "The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America- missing location"

This is about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and how serial killer H.H. Ho..."

Robin- in an effort to make things fair to the nominators that nominated correctly the first time, can you please edit your original nomination to include your description in message 40? Let me know when you do it and I will add it to the list.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.