Appointment With Agatha discussion

19 views
The Adaptations > Poirot (the series)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 917 comments There are just a few episodes of this series that I haven't seen - some of the shorts that were adapted in Seasons 2 & 5, and the full-length novels from Season 13. I am reluctant to finish watching them because it means that there will be no more.

Last night, in honor of Agatha's 130th birthday, my daughter and I watched the last episode filmed, Dead Man's Folly. It's the only Season 13 episode I've watched. I have read Suchet's book, Poirot and Me, so I knew how the cast felt while they were filming the episode at Christie's beloved Greenway. It was wonderful and bittersweet to watch it. I'm not sure it will ever be one of my favorite episodes - I miss Hastings, Japp and Miss Lemon from the early seasons, although Zoe Wanamaker as Ariadne Oliver was delightful as always!


message 2: by Karina (new)

Karina | 8 comments Christine PNW wrote: "There are just a few episodes of this series that I haven't seen - some of the shorts that were adapted in Seasons 2 & 5, and the full-length novels from Season 13. I am reluctant to finish watchin..."

I could do without season 13! There is of course "Final Curtain" and "Dead Man's Folly" but there is also "The Big Four" ,"The Labours of Hercules "and a weird interpretation of " Elephants Can Remember".
Probably the only season that I don't revisit very often(not to say hardly ever)..


message 3: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 917 comments Karina wrote: "Christine PNW wrote: "There are just a few episodes of this series that I haven't seen - some of the shorts that were adapted in Seasons 2 & 5, and the full-length novels from Season 13. I am reluc..."

I've heard that Dead Man's Folly is the best of Season 13.

I am afraid to watch Curtain. I'm worried I'll just cry.


Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (themis-athena) | 471 comments I think they felt they just had to do it, but yeah. "Dead Man's Folly" is the only episode from that season I've so far watched more than once. And Christine, I *did* cry during "Curtain". I mean, how could anyone possibly not?!


message 5: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) wrote: "I think they felt they just had to do it, but yeah. "Dead Man's Folly" is the only episode from that season I've so far watched more than once. And Christine, I *did* cry during "Curtain". I mean, ..."

I teared up during Curtain, too.
I mean... it's Curtain.


Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (themis-athena) | 471 comments BrokenTune wrote: "I teared up during Curtain, too.
I mean... it's Curtain."


I defy anybody claiming to be a true fan *not* to cry.


message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara  | 105 comments I've primarily watched the early seasons, which were based on a lot of the short stories rather than the full length novels. Now that I have been reading through all of the Poirot books, typically I will watch the corresponding episode once I finish reading, which makes for a nice comparison.
I have to say that I just do not enjoy most of the episodes from the latter seasons. There was a lightness and jauntiness to the earlier ones (which were done by a different production team) that seemed to capture the spirit of the books better. Poirot just seems grumpy and humorless in his later years.


back to top