CPL: Online Book Club discussion

Where the Crawdads Sing
This topic is about Where the Crawdads Sing
Sept: Where the Crawdads Sing > September: Where the Crawdads Sing

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 98 comments Mod
We are halfway through the month, have you started reading the book? How far along are you. I finished the book a couple of days ago. I reached the point where I just could not put it down. The sense of place was amazing, it reminded me of my childhood summers in the low country of South Carolina.

Have you ever visited the coastal Carolinas? Definitely a unique ecosystem, and a beautiful place. If you haven't been, did this book make you want to go?

What did you think of Kya, aka the Marsh Girl? Or the townspeople who would leave a child out in the marsh to raise herself and then try to belittle the woman she grew up to be?

I've read several books with the main character a feral child, or the adult the feral child grew up to be? Have you? Is this a trope that interests you?
I'd be interested if you had any recommendations.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've finished the book. I have visited the coastal Carolina area and it is absolutely stunning. I think Kya is truly a strong person. She is able to use her ingenuity and intelligence to survive alone in the world. She is truly an inspirational character to look up to.

I think the only piece of literature I am familiar with with a feral child character is Mowgli from "The Jungle Book." I have never read the stories, but would more than interested in doing so after reading this particular book.

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Perhaps not exactly feral (how feral can one be living in a city such as London or New York), but rather living without adults? I'm trying to remember which mystery series I read involved a detective described as a feral child woman.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a vague memory myself of such a character, but for the life of me I cannot remember who it is now.

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think the character is Sigrid Harald (a police lieutenant) by Margaret Maron. It's been a while since I read that series, now I'll have to hunt down the books.
One Coffee With (Sigrid Harald, #1) by Margaret Maron

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for finding out the character for me. I will be sure to check out this series in the future since I liked "Where the Crawdads Sing."

Claudia | 2 comments I read the book last year (I think?) and absolutely loved it! I read it in between reading Educated and The Great Alone. Although the main characters in those books aren't feral children, I thought they all had some similarities: the story evolves around the main character growing up and growing into their own; their environment is very important in shaping their experiences and a big part of the book; the main character is mostly on their own without great role models.
All three of those books are on my favorites list for sure.