Play Book Tag discussion

The Storm on Our Shores: One Island, Two Soldiers, and the Forgotten Battle of World War II
This topic is about The Storm on Our Shores
September 2020: Other Books > The Storm on Our Shores-4 stars-(POLLS)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7983 comments The Storm on Our Shores: One Island, Two Soldiers, and the Forgotten Battle of World War II-4 stars

First off, full disclosure, This was nearly a DNF for me. It could have been my mood, it could have been how parts of it seemed rather slow and over done. Whatever the reason, I am glad I pushed on and finished it. Well worth the effort.

This book attracted my attention because the blurb highlighted that it took place during WWII and in the Aleutian Islands. Japan invaded Alaska? Why did I never know about this?

Although this is a war story, there is so much more to it. It revolves around the lives of 2 men, whose lives are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Paul Nobuo Tatsuguchi was born in Japan, educated in California, became a doctor and returned to Japan. Dick Laird was a coal miner, raised in Appalachia. These 2 men met on the battlefield of Attu, and their lives were shattered.

This is a story of faith, family, love and forgiveness. Highly recommended.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2969 comments Interesting. I knew nothing about this invasion until I read The Wind Is Not a River. I liked the book, but it did have some unbelievable plot problems. I think a non- fiction account might be better.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7983 comments I think you might like it-as I said it is a little slow at the beginning, but it finished well