IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Book Suggestions > 2020 October - HallowIggles Phantasmagoria

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eswee42, <3 (new)

Eswee42 | 77 comments Mod
Hi all!

Next month we are joining up with the festivities of HallowIggles! The team the directors picked this year is

PHANTASMAGORIA!

You can now suggest a read for October. A poll of all suggestions will go up next Monday!

Your suggestion doesn't need to be something published this year, it can be from any time. You can even suggest one that has been suggested before.

Please let us know why you think it should be chosen? It's good to hear people's reasons, we all know some book synopsis don't do them justice. ;-)

::NOTE::
If your book is picked to be our monthly read, we would like your help with being a Discussion Leader by coming up with a few questions for the discussion board! If you don't want to, let us know so we can make some up instead.

Happy Hallow Reading!

message 2: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon Williams (camper_rhiannon) | 16 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

I’d like to suggest The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson! I haven’t read it yet, but it’s a true classic from 1959. It features some phantasmagoric staples like a haunted house and the occult.

Summary: “First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror. It is the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a "haunting"; Theodora, the lighthearted assistant; Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman well acquainted with poltergeists; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House. At first, their stay seems destined to be merely a spooky encounter with inexplicable phenomena. But Hill House is gathering its powers—and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.”

message 3: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon Williams (camper_rhiannon) | 16 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

A second suggestion from me (that I also haven't read!) - this one is contemporary (2019) and a Young Adult Horror novel. It's got some great phantasmagoric elements - a Gothic manor house, ghostly visions, and curses. It also sounds like it's got a really gripping mystery plot, which would be fun to talk about with fellow Iggles as we unravel the truth! It also sounds very spooky for Halloween!

"Annaleigh lives a sheltered life at Highmoor, a manor by the sea, with her sisters, their father, and stepmother. Once they were twelve, but loneliness fills the grand halls now that four of the girls' lives have been cut short. Each death was more tragic than the last—the plague, a plummeting fall, a drowning, a slippery plunge—and there are whispers throughout the surrounding villages that the family is cursed by the gods.

Disturbed by a series of ghostly visions, Annaleigh becomes increasingly suspicious that the deaths were no accidents. Her sisters have been sneaking out every night to attend glittering balls, dancing until dawn in silk gowns and shimmering slippers, and Annaleigh isn't sure whether to try to stop them or to join their forbidden trysts. Because who—or what—are they really dancing with?

When Annaleigh's involvement with a mysterious stranger who has secrets of his own intensifies, it's a race to unravel the darkness that has fallen over her family—before it claims her next."

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Webber | 9 comments I don't really understand what phantasmagoria means well enough to make a suggestion. I did a quick Google search for definitions but everything I saw made me think of film elements not applicable to reading... anyone have a helpful definition of what would qualify as "phantasmagoria" for a book?

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate C | 65 comments Mod
It's not a word that seems to be used much for books, it makes me think of spooky houses and ghost stories but I think it can be broad as a theme if there's another book you think would be good.

I was thinking of suggesting a classic book of ghost stories like Vernon Lee or Daphne du Maurier but I love the look of Rhiannon's 2 books!

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Webber | 9 comments Thanks, that helps! I will think of some suggestions :)

message 7: by Cat (new)

Cat | 12 comments My suggestion is a book of short stories: There Once Lived a Girl Who Seduced Her Sister's Husband, and He Hanged Himself: Love Stories. It's by Russian author Ludmilla Petrushevskaya.

I haven't read this book, but I've read a different short story collection by this author. They are brilliant and bizarre and can have interesting modern twists on Russian fairy tale themes.

Summary:
Love stories, with a twist: the eagerly awaited follow-up to the great Russian writer's New York Times bestselling scary fairy tales.

By turns sly and sweet, burlesque and heartbreaking, these realist fables of women looking for love are the stories that Ludmilla Petrushevskaya—who has been compared to Chekhov, Tolstoy, Beckett, Poe, Angela Carter, and even Stephen King—is best known for in Russia. Here are attempts at human connection, both depraved and sublime, by people in all stages of life: one-night stands in communal apartments, poignantly awkward couplings, office trysts, schoolgirl crushes, elopements, tentative courtships, and rampant infidelity, shot through with lurid violence, romantic illusion, and surprising tenderness.

It would work as a translation for folks still looking for something in that category for the reading challenge too!

message 8: by Eswee42, <3 (new)

I've got two suggestions:

The graveyard apartment
I haven't read this one but: "The best-known Japanese horror novels in the English market—Ring, Parasite Eve, Audition—all hail from the ‘90s and are tangled in American minds with the “J-horror” boom precipitated by films like The Ring and The Grudge. Mariko Koike’s 1986 novel The Graveyard Apartment, which finally received an English translation in 2017, precedes both trends. As a result, some of its storytelling may feel dated to American readers: a young family moves into a seemingly ideal apartment building that happens to be bordered on three sides by a graveyard, a crematorium and a Buddhist temple, so it’s little surprise when supernatural events start bubbling up. As with many Japanese horror staples, The Graveyard Apartment relishes slowly mounting dread and vengeful ghosts. Few of Koike’s novels are available in English, which makes The Graveyard Apartment a fascinating look at the Japanese horror scene in the ‘80s."

And my second suggestion is: Ghost Story by Peter Straub
Also haven't read this but: it's another 80's horror! It's lenghtly but, according to the Telegraph "not short on imagination. Jumping back and forth between decades, Straub explains the horrific consequences of a series of ghost stories once share by a group of companiens. Fifty years later not one of them has escaped the clutches of the past!"

And now I'm gonna check if I can find both of them at the library!

message 9: by Eswee42, <3 (last edited Sep 20, 2020 11:04PM) (new)

The suggestions are now closed! The poll will go up at: HallowIggles poll