GXO Reading Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya Patrice (new)

Tanya Patrice (tanyapatrice) | 166 comments Mod
Your task this month is to read at least 1 book that WON a book award in October. Any year ... as long as the award was presented in October. What will you read?

To get you started, some awards that are usually presented in October ...

* Nobel Prize (for Literature)
* Booker Prize

* Comment below with the book you're reading for the challenge and the award it won and the date it was presented. Mark it CHALLENGE COMPLETE if you've read the book.

reply | edit | delete | flag *

message 2: by Tanya Patrice (new)

Tanya Patrice (tanyapatrice) | 166 comments Mod
I'm reading Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo which won the 2019 Booker (along with The Testaments by Margaret Atwood). I've been meaning to read this forever so I'm thrilled to get to it this month.

message 3: by cat (new)

cat reads (thecatwhoreads) | 22 comments I've been wanting to read The Testaments since Christmas, but when I saw this challenge, I decided to be very, very, veeeeery patient and wait.

Totally with you, TJ.

message 4: by Simone (new)

Simone (simonec75) | 67 comments After a reading slump I'm finally back into reading. For this month's challenge I chose this book:

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The book won the Anisfield-Wolf Book Award for Fiction in 2007

I have to admit that I had been totally ignorant of the events going on in Nigeria in the 20th century.

message 5: by cat (new)

cat reads (thecatwhoreads) | 22 comments Read The Testaments by Margaret Atwood.

CHALLENGE COMPLETE

I get the top reviews, which are mostly negative. The book is okay, but it's a very different feel from The Handmaid's Tale. The first feels like speculative fiction with a distinctively intelligent narrator. The second feels much more young adult dystopian with a dose of Disney.

If I read this on it's own by another author, it would be a semi-forgettable ya that would probably have a movie deal. Coming from Atwood, it feels phoned in.