Appointment With Agatha discussion

24 views
Archive - general > Happy 130th birthday, Dame Agatha!

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (last edited Sep 15, 2020 07:44AM) (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments

Are you reading a Christie today? Which one?


message 2: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) | 16 comments The Murder on the Links

I tried to go out of order with the Poirot books but I just can't do it. My brain won't let me.


message 3: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments Today is also the first day of the all virtual International Agatha Christie Festival! You can find the dedicated YouTube channel here.

I am watching while I work!


message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 57 comments Christine PNW wrote: "Today is also the first day of the all virtual International Agatha Christie Festival! You can find the dedicated YouTube channel here.

I am watching while I work!"


Thanks for that link Christine. I looked at their Zoom events but signing up for them defeated me! Youtube is easier to cope with.


message 5: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Hahaha. Watching it , too. Some of the links in "Christie Connections" are very tenous indeed. Good fun, tho.


message 6: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments BrokenTune wrote: "Hahaha. Watching it , too. Some of the links in "Christie Connections" are very tenous indeed. Good fun, tho."

I'm watching that one, too.


message 7: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Christine PNW wrote: "BrokenTune wrote: "Hahaha. Watching it , too. Some of the links in "Christie Connections" are very tenous indeed. Good fun, tho."

I'm watching that one, too."


Have you come across the one with Laura Thompson, yet?


message 8: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments BrokenTune wrote: "Have you come across the one with Laura Thompson, yet?."

Not yet - I've been working. Damned work, cutting into my Agatha time! is it good?


message 9: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments "Agatha and Ealing" needs a spoiler warning. Jonathan Oates gives away the solution/murderer to several stories.


message 10: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Christine PNW wrote: "BrokenTune wrote: "Have you come across the one with Laura Thompson, yet?."

Not yet - I've been working. Damned work, cutting into my Agatha time! is it good?"


Yes, it really was! I thought there were lots of really good discussion points that might also be great for discussion here.

AND ... Thompson is not a Phelps fan! It made me laugh so hard. One of the interviewers, Kemper(?) made a really good pooint when he said that he thought the Phelps adaptations were a bit like what he imagined Raymond West would write if he tried to adapt a Christie novel.

I know OB wasn't taken with Thompson's biography but I think I want to read it.


message 11: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments BrokenTune wrote: "I know OB wasn't taken with Thompson's biography but I think I want to read it."

I own it. Post-HB buddy read? Maybe in January/February?


message 12: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Christine PNW wrote: "BrokenTune wrote: "I know OB wasn't taken with Thompson's biography but I think I want to read it."

I own it. Post-HB buddy read? Maybe in January/February?"


February would work for me. :)


message 13: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Btw, I'm 20 minutes into the Sophie Hannah interview and I'm going to stop here for today. I might listen to the rest tomorrow...or I might just skip the rest. I was not sold on The Monogram Murders (view spoiler) and her explaining some of her choices is not helping.


message 14: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 149 comments No fan of Sophie Hannah too, but thanks for the link! Wonder what else will come,


message 15: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments BrokenTune wrote: "Btw, I'm 20 minutes into the Sophie Hannah interview and I'm going to stop here for today. I might listen to the rest tomorrow...or I might just skip the rest. I was not sold on [book:The Monogram ..."

I haven't tried any of them - and I don't know anyone who has really liked them, so I probably won't.


message 16: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments I'm watching the Laura Thompson interview right now. It's great.


message 17: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (last edited Sep 15, 2020 02:45PM) (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments I love this quote by Thompson "People are of their time and she really is a kind of oblique social historian of the twentieth century, in an unstudied way."

This is one of the reasons that I love her - and we've talked about this element of her books before!


message 18: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments So, erm, I ended up watching the interview with Matthew Pritchard also, and ... Christine, if you haven't seen it yet, you're going to laugh so hard. (view spoiler)


message 19: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Christine PNW wrote: "I love this quote by Thompson "People are of their time and she really is a kind of oblique social historian of the twentieth century, in an unstudied way."

This is one of the reasons that I love ..."


Yes, I also loved how they are talking about that the puzzle in her books isn't so much solved by finding the clues as by understanding the characters.


message 20: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments BrokenTune wrote: "So, erm, I ended up watching the interview with Matthew Pritchard also, and ..."

Proof that they suck.

I was talking to my daughter about them just now - we agreed that there are two deal breakers: do not change the identity of the murderer OR the victim.

Also, don't make Poirot a former priest who fled the Nazis. No. Just. No.


message 21: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Christine PNW wrote: "BrokenTune wrote: "So, erm, I ended up watching the interview with Matthew Pritchard also, and ..."

Proof that they suck.

I was talking to my daughter about them just now - we agreed that there a..."


Amen.


message 22: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments BrokenTune wrote: "Christine PNW wrote: "I love this quote by Thompson "People are of their time and she really is a kind of oblique social historian of the twentieth century, in an unstudied way."

This is one of th..."


How much did you love it when Laura Thompson said "The Five Little Pigs Society" in reference to how much they all admire that book. I laughed out loud and then immediately considered changing our group name!


message 23: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Christine PNW wrote: "BrokenTune wrote: "Christine PNW wrote: "I love this quote by Thompson "People are of their time and she really is a kind of oblique social historian of the twentieth century, in an unstudied way."..."

I may have actually raised my hand and shouted "I'm a member!"


Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (themis-athena) | 471 comments Christine PNW wrote: "Today is also the first day of the all virtual International Agatha Christie Festival! You can find the dedicated YouTube channel here."

Damn, I wish I could watch this right now -- I'd sooo need that sort of distraction. Especially the Phelps-dissing.

Oh, and count me in re: "Five Little Pigs Society" of course.


message 25: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) wrote: "Christine PNW wrote: "Today is also the first day of the all virtual International Agatha Christie Festival! You can find the dedicated YouTube channel here."

Damn, I wish I could watch this right..."


It is seriously such a fun interview. Have you read her biography of Christie?


message 26: by Christine PNW, Agathyte (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 922 comments BrokenTune wrote: "It is seriously such a fun interview. Have you read her biography of Christie?.."

Because BT & I are considering a buddy read in Jan/Feb!


Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (themis-athena) | 471 comments Christine PNW wrote: "BrokenTune wrote: "It is seriously such a fun interview. Have you read her biography of Christie?.."

Because BT & I are considering a buddy read in Jan/Feb!"


Well, since you insist ... :D (And as I haven't read it yet ...)


message 28: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) wrote: "Christine PNW wrote: "BrokenTune wrote: "It is seriously such a fun interview. Have you read her biography of Christie?.."

Because BT & I are considering a buddy read in Jan/Feb!"

Well, since you..."


Yay!


Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 109 comments I looked at The Monogram Murders, realized it wasn't "we found this in the archives" but a continuation from another writer, and now I'm glad I skipped it.

Because the 3.33 average (on 17,000+ ratings) gives one pause. (My friends list didn't like it, either.)

Nice cover, though.


message 30: by BrokenTune (last edited Oct 04, 2020 05:30AM) (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "I looked at The Monogram Murders, realized it wasn't "we found this in the archives" but a continuation from another writer, and now I'm glad I skipped it.

Because the 3.33 average..."


The Monogram Murders and Jo Nesbo's Macbeth tie the top spot for my worst books of 2020 so far. ;)

Tho, I love to hear what my friends think of either.


message 31: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 149 comments I read Closed Casket: The New Hercule Poirot Mystery and didn´t like it either.


message 32: by BrokenTune (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Michaela wrote: "I read Closed Casket: The New Hercule Poirot Mystery and didn´t like it either."

That's a shame, but really good to know.


message 33: by BrokenTune (last edited Oct 05, 2020 01:00PM) (new)

BrokenTune | 348 comments Michaela wrote: "I read Closed Casket: The New Hercule Poirot Mystery and didn´t like it either."

Also, I just found your review. I shared the feeling of "it's too long" about The Monogram Murders. The book was awful (imo), but more than that it was absolutely endless.


back to top