YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Archive > October PIFM

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Sep 20, 2020 02:07AM) (new)

Brittany | 4740 comments Mod
Sign up for October is now open! It will remain open until September 30th with pairs being made October 1st. All picks must be made by the 8th or one of us will make them for you.

1. Chinese Moon Festival this year falls on October 1st. Pick a book that involves China or its myths, harvest, or the moon whether it be on a cover or a book in space

2. October 9th is Curious Events Day. Pick a book that makes you curious or in which the MC is curious about something

3. And of course it wouldn't be October without a Halloween theme. Pick a creepy/paranormal book or one that involves trick or treating.

Rules:
Comment that you are IN before August 31st.
Give at least 3 recommendations (more is always better in my opinion) to your partner, at least 1 pick must fit a theme. (Bonus points if more do!)
Do your best to read one of the recs given to you and come back here and comment on it!

Remember, this is to introduce us all to new books and/or give us a push to read something we have been putting off.

Note, part of the fun of this challenge is finding books that fit the theme that you think your partner would enjoy. Please state why you are picking a book and make sure that at least ONE fits a theme

message 2: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 669 comments In!

message 3: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments In!

message 4: by Mackenzie :) (new)

Mackenzie :) (book_girl_777) | 184 comments I'm in!

message 5: by amia (new)

amia (makevocaloidgreatagain) i’m in!

message 6: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments I've never tried this challenge and a bit afraid of participating :) But I'm going to try this time.

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Yay! Excited to have you join us this time Elena!
Also happy to see a new face in princess and all of my wonderful regulars!
I'll put themes up in the next couple days

message 8: by Musabbihah (new)

Musabbihah | 81 comments In!

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Themes are up!

message 10: by Brittany (new)

I'm a little early, but it was that or possibly be late. So here are the pairings

Mackenzie and lemon-chan
Teodora and Laura
Brittany, Elena, and Musabbihah (this can be done as we each pick for each other so there are extra choices, or as I pick for Elena who picks for Musabbihah who picks for me. Whichever you both prefer)

message 11: by Brittany (new)

Either way I am up for basically anything. I am still unlikely to get to any books over 500 pages right now but if they are amazing go for it. I like creepy and its a good month for it. I might not really be on Oct 1st very much so I likely wont be back on to make picks until the 2nd.

message 12: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 669 comments Oooh hi Teo! I think I already pretty much know your projected TBR hahahha but anything in particular you'd like me to focus on with my picks?

message 13: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments Well hello you!
Nope, you know, anything works for me so shoot me with what you've got!
Anything you'd like in particular?

message 14: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 669 comments Nope hit me with whatever you want! I’ll look for your picks in a bit!

message 15: by Laura ☾ (last edited Oct 01, 2020 01:56AM) (new)

Laura ☾ | 669 comments Chinese Moon Festival prompt

The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) by R.F. Kuang - you know I love this series and I think you'd love it too!

Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1) by Elizabeth Lim - This was an enjoyable enough read, the sequel was better though!

Curious characters prompt

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) by Stieg Larsson - because you need to finish this series

Creepy/paranormal prompt

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab - I think this qualifies?

Bonus picks

Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff - I know we're already going to read this but just throwing it out there again hahah

message 16: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments 'because you need to finish this series' I died
True 😂
We're definitely reading Nevernight this month haha

Okay so

For the Chinese Moon Festival:
The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan - I know we talked about this at some point but I can't remember if you read it, it's good though (but the action takes place in Taiwan, does that count?)
Descendant of the Crane by Joan He - I heard that's quite all right

For the curious characters:
The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab - I know it comes out this month but I think you and I both are curious about this 😂

For Creepy/paranormal/Halloween-y:
The Archived (The Archived, #1) by Victoria Schwab
Lock Every Door by Riley Sager - casually inserting a thriller that gave me unlocked doors paranoia at some point
The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow - if/when you get the chance

BONUS:
Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff - re-reads count as reads too😂
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman - because you know you want to read this hehe

message 18: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments Good good
I'll let you know what I'll read from your picks
I think I'll give Gaiman a go

message 19: by Musabbihah (new)

Musabbihah | 81 comments Brittany wrote: "I'm a little early, but it was that or possibly be late. So here are the pairings

Mackenzie and lemon-chan
Teodora and Laura
Brittany, Elena, and Musabbihah (this can be done as we each pick for ..."

We can even put our picks up and choose at least one on each list? Or Brittany like you said you can pick for Elena who picks for me and me for you... I don't mind anything :) let me know what you guys think.

I'm not fussy about the types of books, even if its not on my tbr I'm cool with it.

message 20: by Brittany (new)

Let's put picks up for both people Musabbihah. Ill get them up later today or tomorrow

message 21: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments I'm a bit late :) As always busy during the week. So I don't mind picking books for both of you :) Any requests?

message 22: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments @Brittany
1. Chinese Moon Festival
Definitely The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) by R.F. Kuang - I haven't read it yet but heard so many good things about this book. Especially I know that you are interested in asian culture.

2. October 9th is Curious Events Day.
Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1) by Penny Reid Neanderthal Marries Human (Knitting in the City, #1.5) by Penny Reid - to cheer you up (perfect romance for those gloomy days), I really enjoyed reading those books and I know you've also planned on reading them.
Beach Read by Emily Henry you might be surprised :)

3. Pick a creepy/paranormal book or one that involves trick or treating.
Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia - I don't read many creepy/paranormal books but also heard only good things about this book

Bonus:
Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined by Danielle Younge-Ullman it's just amazing, easy to read and perfect for finally letting summer go and embrace autumn :)
The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss - I know you've enjoyed reading Mistborn series and those two series are just a must!

message 23: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments @Musabbihah I've sent you a friend request just to check on some books you read :) so that I could recommend you something you might like.

message 24: by Musabbihah (new)

Musabbihah | 81 comments Awesome here's mine
I'll try and put from both of your tbr's. I can send more recs if you want let me know x

Chinese Moon Festival:
Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1) by Elizabeth Lim - It's really amazing and moon related. (sort of)

Descendant of the Crane by Joan He - seems interesting

Curious Events Day:
The Language of Cherries by Jen Marie Hawkins - The MC is curious.
Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1) by Kerri Maniscalco - The MC is curious (Britt I know you read it so I put the second one for you)

Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #2) by Kerri Maniscalco

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab - I'm curious about this

The Rest of the Story by Sarah Dessen - Curious book

Halloween:
This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1) by Victoria Schwab - Why not?

Not Even Bones (Market of Monsters, #1) by Rebecca Schaeffer - Really gruesome but a nice read
There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins - seems really interesting

Bonus:
The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) by R.F. Kuang - both your tbrs
House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1) by Sarah J. Maas - OMG why haven't you guys read it yet!

message 25: by Brittany (new)

Elena thanks!
I keep hearing amazing things about the Poppy War I just haven't managed to get my hands on a copy yet.
I put a hold on Mexican Gothic but its a 13ish week wait.
I'm going to continue putting off Way of Kings. As amazing as I am sure it will be I want to finish mistborn season 2 first I think.
I have Neanderthal Seeks Human and Beach Read so I will try to read one of those!

message 26: by Brittany (new)

Musabbihah those look good too!

I put a hold on the audio of Spin the Dawn
I have There's Someone Inside Your House on hold and intend to read it this month so that's the one I will probably go for!
I'm putting off House of Earth and Blood until at least book 2 is out. I enjoy her books but I want to know if it follows the same formula in love interests before I commit plus I still need to finish some of her other books.

message 27: by Brittany (last edited Oct 02, 2020 11:12AM) (new)

Elena here are yours
1. Chinese Moon Festival this year falls on October 1st. Pick a book that involves China or its myths, harvest, or the moon whether it be on a cover or a book in space
The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) by R.F. Kuang I'm going to give this one right back at you as its supposed to be fabulous
Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1) by Julie C. Dao I haven't read it but I want to it looks so good.
The Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson One that has been recommended to me its a historical type.
The Moon in the Palace (Empress of Bright Moon, #1) by Weina Dai Randel A historical fiction that I think sounds fabulous

2. October 9th is Curious Events Day. Pick a book that makes you curious or in which the MC is curious about something
A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas On your tbr and worth the read. She becomes very curious about all things fae.
The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1) by Kester Grant Before I read it this book with its poorly chosen synopsis made me very curious. At the end the tagline doesn't fit but its a good book with an interesting other France. Lots of curiosity amongst the characters.

3. And of course it wouldn't be October without a Halloween theme. Pick a creepy/paranormal book or one that involves trick or treating.
Lightning by Dean Koontz its one of my fave books of this type ever. Its got this effect that it comes back into your mind at the strangest times. There's just something special about it. Its listed as horror but its more thriller in a lot of ways with some paranormal oddities.
House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig ghosts and tragic death fit the theme, its on both of our tbrs and looks interesting.
Little Secrets by Jennifer Hillier Saw this on your tbr and it sounds so good. If you read it you'll have to tell me if I should too.
Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire Fast, easy, thoroughly entertaining. Disappearing and dying special children fits the theme.

Just because
10 Blind Dates by Ashley Elston One of the most enjoyable contemporaries I've read in a long time.
Theodora Actress, Empress, Whore (Empress Theodora, #1) by Stella Duffy A historical fiction I thought was so well done with seeing how the city itself moved instead of the well to do.
Wayward, Vol. 1 String Theory by Jim Zub technically fits the curious theme as well. Such a different comic with all kinds of Japanese creatures and powers.
You seem to be enjoying reading through fruits basket so here are two more manga that I think you should try out. Ai Yori Aoshi Vol. 1 (Ai Yori Aoshi, #1) by Kou Fumizuki Yurara, Vol. 1 by Chika Shiomi

message 28: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 669 comments This is to everyone but I can’t praise the Poppy War enough! And the sequel is even better!

message 29: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments Laura ☾ wrote: "This is to everyone but I can’t praise the Poppy War enough! And the sequel is even better!"

I would honestly read that as soon as I get my claws on it, you're extremely pleased with the series so far haha

message 30: by Brittany (new)

Musabbihah here are your picks

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1) by Julie C. Dao I haven't read it but I want to it looks so good.
Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1) by Natasha Ngan inspired by Asian myth not sure if its got much Chinese in particular.

The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1) by Amanda Hocking from your tbr, and now on mine too. She is curious about who her family is
Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1) by Kara Swanson From your tbr. I am super curious about this retelling and the MC is curious about where her brother disappeared to.
Nowhere But Here (Thunder Road, #1) by Katie McGarry The author writes a good contemporary love story! The FMC in this one is curious about the motorcycle club.

Lightning by Dean Koontz its one of my fave books of this type ever. Its got this effect that it comes back into your mind at the strangest times. There's just something special about it. Its listed as horror but its more
Rolling in the Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #0.5) by Mira Grant I give you horror mermaids.
Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake A ghost hunter, a ghost and a spirit sniffing cat.

Just because
Save the Date by Morgan Matson in case you need something lighter this is an adorable contemporary.

message 31: by Brittany (new)

Teodora wrote: "Laura ☾ wrote: "This is to everyone but I can’t praise the Poppy War enough! And the sequel is even better!"

I would honestly read that as soon as I get my claws on it, you're extremely pleased wi..."

I'm in the same boat Teodora! Once I can get my hands on a copy.... I've heard so many good things!

message 32: by Musabbihah (new)

Musabbihah | 81 comments Brittany wrote: "Musabbihah here are your picks

1. Chinese Moon Festival this year falls on October 1st. Pick a book that involves China or its myths, harvest, or the moon whether it be on a cover or a book in spa..."

Thank you so much!!
I am going to start with The lost city and lightning. I can't wait!!

message 33: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments @Musabbihah here are yours:

1. Chinese Moon Festival
American Panda by Gloria Chao - maybe not particularly Chinese but definitely asian, the story seems to be interesting
Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1) by Julie Kagawa - this one is more Japanese than Chinese but try reading it, really good one

2. October 9th is Curious Events Day
Love & Olives (Love & Gelato, #3) by Jenna Evans Welch - I'm curious about this one, I also saw you've read the Gelato (1st book in the series) and liked it (I've also read the 1st book and loved it! So maybe this one will also be intersting)

3. Pick a creepy/paranormal book or one that involves trick or treating
Fire & Heist by Sarah Beth Durst - I've seen it on your TBR and loved the cover, dragons and the story seems interesting

Bonus:
The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern - I've heard so many good things about this book and just looks like a good autumn read
With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo - because you've read The Hate U Give and loved it (The Fire gave me the same vibes, but was more cheerful and with the ending I loved)
Skyward (Skyward, #1) by Brandon Sanderson - this one is amazing!
Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1) by Nicki Pau Preto - I've never read Spin the Dawn but many people recommended me to read it because I liked Crown of Feathers, so maybe it'll work both way :)
Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2) by Leigh Bardugo - the whole trilogy actually. I've seen it on your TBR and also you loved The Six of Crows series so I think you're going to love The Grisha Trilogy even more

message 34: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments @Musabbihah thank you so much for the recommendations!
I don't have access to some of the books you've recommended but it I get them, I'll definitely go for Spin the Dawn, The Language of Cherries, Stalking Jack the Ripper.
And I've planned on reading The Savage Song and I already own it, so this one will be one of the first October reads :D
As for House of Earth and Blood I agree with Brittany and going to wait. Actually I discovered this author not long time ago and still have a bunch of her books to read :)
As for Poppy War - yes, yes, yes! I'm definitely going to read it this month!

message 35: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments @ Brittany thank you so much for those gorgeous books especially the asian ones. I think I'm going to read all of them (as soon as I can get them): Forest of Lanterns and The Moon in the Palace I'm extremely interested in.
I've already planned on reading at least 2 books of A Court of Thorns and Roses :)
Lightning also sounds so good and if it won't give me nightmares I'm definitely going for it.
I've planned on reading House of Salt and Sorrows in two months but maybe I'll shift it to October. And ofc I'll tell you about Little Secrets.
10 Blind Dates sounds like pure happiness!
And thank you for the comic/manga recommendations. I really appreciate it. As I already have Ai Yori Aoshi, I'll go for this one first.

message 36: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments And maybe it'll be nice to create a BR or something for the Poppy War? :)

message 37: by Musabbihah (new)

Musabbihah | 81 comments Elena wrote: "@Musabbihah here are yours:

1. Chinese Moon Festival
American Panda by Gloria Chao - maybe not particularly Chinese but definitely asian, the story seems to be interesting
[bookcover:Shadow ..."

Thank you so much Elena! These are great!
I think I am going to start with Fire and Heist and Crown of Feathers.
I have read With The Fire On High but I forgot to record it, it was amazing, I really enjoyed it.
I'll try my best to read the others but I start exams soon so I'm not sure.

message 38: by Brittany (new)

Elena wrote: "And maybe it'll be nice to create a BR or something for the Poppy War? :)"

That would be a great idea. Ill make a thread and just not put up a date?

message 39: by Brittany (new)

Elena wrote: "@ Brittany thank you so much for those gorgeous books especially the asian ones. I think I'm going to read all of them (as soon as I can get them): Forest of Lanterns and The Moon in the Palace I'm..."

Glad you enjoyed the recs! I want to read those Asian books so badly too. Especially Forest of Lanterns. Lightning wont give you nightmares but it will stick with you and you may get chills from certain real life things, if you read it I hope you love it.
I'm excited you will be reading Ai yori! Those two manga series are some of the only ones I still own.

message 40: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments Brittany wrote: "That would be a great idea. Ill make a thread and just not put up a date?"

Sounds good! And maybe leave it open till the end of October?

Brittany wrote: "Glad you enjoyed the recs! I want to read those Asian books so badly too. Especially Forest of Lanterns. Lightning wont give you nightmares..."

Yeah! Asian literature was always THE thing for me. I love the atmosphere, the simplicity and at the same time the deep philosophy of asian books.

message 41: by Brittany (new)

I haven't read much of Asian lit but I have enjoyed what I have and want to read more.

I won't get to Poppy War until end of October at best but likely at least November as I have to get a copy and have some must read hardcopies this month.

message 42: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments So maybe it'll be better just to leave it open? I'm also not sure when I can get the book.

message 43: by Brittany (new)

I think so, its up for when we get to it

message 44: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments Just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and absolutely loved it!

message 45: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 669 comments Yay! So happy to hear

message 46: by Musabbihah (new)

Musabbihah | 81 comments @Brittany.
Wow!! Lighting was amazing. I understand why it's one of your favourites. It undoubtedly more than horror. I really enjoyed it.
I think it's one of those books you can read over a few times.:)

I don't have a copy of the lost city yet, But I will try and find it.

message 47: by Musabbihah (new)

Musabbihah | 81 comments @Elena
Brandon Sanderson is just amazing!! Skyward is one of my favourites, I also read the sequel but I didn't like it as much.

And Crown of Feathers was just gorgeous. I need the second one ASAP (after exams)

message 48: by Brittany (new)

Musabbihah I am so glad you loved it too! I am definitely due for a reread.
I've been working extra again, or still I dont even know anymore so my reading has been a little more limited than I'd like but I'll try to get to my reads

message 49: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments @Musabbihah I'm glad you loved it! Sanderson is one of my favourite authors :) And I'm also glad you've enjoyed Crown of Feathers. Btw I've also haven't read the second book yet so we can read it as a BR.

message 50: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1191 comments @Brittany I've started reading The Girl with Ghost Eyes and it's amazing!

« previous 1