Play Book Tag discussion

September 2020: Psychological > The Christmas Hirelings - M. E. Braddon - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1987 comments This is the 19th-century equivalent of a Hallmark Christmas movie. An old and lonely curmudgeon takes in some children for Christmas and is won over. The littlest girl is adorably precocious, of course. The twist to the plot (which a reader will figure out pretty early) reminded me of children's books from the era such as Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. I listened to this on audio, which worked well and only took a few hours as it is a short book.

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7819 comments Oh I have never seen another person mention Five Little Peppers and How They Grew! Somehow an old copy came my way as a kid and I loved it! My younger sisters never read it..it had an ugly plain cover and just did not entice as other books did.

message 3: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1987 comments Theresa wrote: "Oh I have never seen another person mention Five Little Peppers and How They Grew! Somehow an old copy came my way as a kid and I loved it! My younger sisters never read it..it had an u..."

There is a series, Five Little Peppers Midway and more. I'm not sure if I read them all since my library didn't have a lot.