Science and Inquiry discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club 2020 > November 2020 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1725 comments Mod
Please post a comment below to nominate a book for the group to read for November 2020.

Please use the "add book/author" link just above the comment box to insert a link to the Goodreads book page for the book you are nominating, so other members can more easily assess it. Apparently this only works on the desktop version of the site; if you use the app, the link is not available yet, so just be sure to put the full title and author.

You may nominate a book which has been suggested previously and did not win. You may nominate more than one book, but we might not include all of your nominations in the voting.

Please do not nominate a book which is unlikely to be available to all members, such as one which was just published within the last three months or which is only available on Kindle in the U.S.

Nominations will close on September 21 or when we have about 10 good nominations, whichever occurs first.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate Outgrowing God: A Beginner’s Guide https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 4: by Herman (new)

Herman Diaz | 64 comments I nominate the newest edition of Dinosaurs: How they lived and evolved. It's the best natural history of dinos for adults. I reviewed the 1st edition ( https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ).

message 6: by David (new)

David Rubenstein | 908 comments Mod
Brian wrote: "How about Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker?"

This is a great book. However, we read it in July, 2019. Here is our discussion.

message 7: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Wawa wrote: "Out of This World: Colliding Universes, Branes, Strings, and Other Wild Ideas of Modern Physics"

This book does not seem to be widely available. On Amazon, U.S. the kindle book costs $23, the paperback $33, and the hardback is only available from third party sellers. Nor is it widely read. On Goodreads, there are only 21 ratings since it was published 16 years ago.

I'm going to reject this book.

message 11: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Nazima wrote: "Spoon-Fed: Why almost everything we’ve been told about food is wrong"

It appears that this book is not widely available. On Amazon U.S., only the kindle version is available. Not even paperback. And not available in my very large public library.

So, I'm rejecting this book for now.

message 12: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments Not sure if it qualifies as "science", it's more biography, but I would love to read Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance.

Elon Musk Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance

message 14: by Herman (new)

Herman Diaz | 64 comments David wrote: "I nominate Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design"

Is that a serious nomination?

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 661 comments Herman wrote: "Is that a serious nomination?"

It must be a joke. Pseudoscience has no place here.

message 16: by Herman (new)

Herman Diaz | 64 comments Jim wrote: "It must be a joke. Pseudoscience has no place here."

Hope so.

message 17: by Nazima (new)

Nazima Nasrullah | 23 comments Betsy wrote: "Nazima wrote: "Spoon-Fed: Why almost everything we’ve been told about food is wrong"

It appears that this book is not widely available. On Amazon U.S., only the kindle version is a..."

Sorry I didn’t know that.
May be next month than.

message 18: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 407 comments Herman wrote: "Jim wrote: "It must be a joke. Pseudoscience has no place here."

Hope so."

I see that this book has quite a high rating. I haven't read it so I don't know if it's propaganda or science, but it doesn't sound like some sort of fundamentalist rant. According to reviewers, the author presents a good case. Personally, I don't think it would hurt to read it. It would definitely result in some interesting discussions.

message 19: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

David and I have discussed the nomination of Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design and have decided to allow it. We like to think that this group is open minded and willing to at least consider other viewpoints.

Obviously if you don't want to read it, don't vote for it. But, as Nancy says, if it were successful in the poll, it might make for some interesting discussions. And, as David has said, it might be interesting if some of our members were to read and review it honestly and critically.

message 20: by Herman (new)

Herman Diaz | 64 comments Nancy wrote: "According to reviewers, the author presents a good case."

According to some reviewers, yes, but not all. Most importantly, actual experts on the subject say otherwise (E.g. "If the object of the book is to show that the Intelligent Design movement is a scientific movement, it has not succeeded. In fact, what it has succeeded in showing is that it is a popular movement grounded primarily in the hopes and dreams of those in philosophy, in religion, and especially those in the general public": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signatu... ).

Take it from an enthusiast who regularly reviews educational books about a very popular science subject: I'm no expert, but I am well-read enough to know what makes for a good book; Unfortunately, most reviewers are NOT experts or enthusiasts, but casual readers who don't know (& thus, have no idea how accurate or authoritative a book is); Point being, popularity among casual readers =/= overall quality.

message 21: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments Betsy wrote: "David and I have discussed the nomination of Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design and have decided to allow it. We like to think that this group is open..."

I agree. I don't subscribe to Intelligent Design myself, but I would be reluctant to dismiss any book out of hand for no reason other than that it takes the intelligent design stance.

message 22: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Nominations are now closed. Please vote for your preference at the following poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/2...

which will be open through September 28.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.