FLASHLIGHT READERS discussion

DEBATES! > Male Authors or Female Authors!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) Have you ever noticed that books written by men and women are slightly different? If so what is the difference? Or do you think it makes no difference at all?
Debate here!! (No sexism please!)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have noticed that female writers tend to go into detail a little more.
(No shade as I am a female myself.) :)

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) Oh yes! I noticed women are better at the emotional side of the characters. No offence to male authors, I'm just talking about in general, women write emotions better.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I totally agree!

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) I prefer books by female authors in general - *in general*!! For instance, one of my favourite authors is Neil Gaiman, his writing voice and his unique ways of seeing and perceiving the world are truly astounding.
But in general, I like women's writing better, we can see all those little things, little emotions that makes a book come alive. I'm not saying a man can't see those, it's just a general observation.

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) (Ahh, sorry for ranting!! 🙀)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda (Artist Cat) wrote: "(Ahh, sorry for ranting!! 🙀)"

No I agree.
Like for instance James Dashner is great with action scenes but Suzanne Collins prevails in emotion and action.
Like conveying just how Katniss feels.

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) Oh Suzzane Collins is such a wonderful writer! Yes, you are right :) :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

:)

message 10: by Ojas (last edited Sep 20, 2020 09:35PM) (new)

Ojas | 211 comments I don't think gender matters here. It is just the author's experience and their writing style. But yes, I do love Suzzane Collins' books and after placing my hold on it, I'm waiting for Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes to come!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice. Happy reading!

message 12: by Ambuja (new)

Ambuja Rani | 46 comments Both! Stephen King is one of my favourite authors(there are a few endings that I don't quite like but for the most part I love his work) and also Rick Riordan- a little bit of humour and everything. At the same time, Suzzane Collins and J.K. Rowling are very great with depicting everything!
And the author who got me into reading-Enid Blyton. Fun fact: I never knew Enid Blyton was a woman, actually I never really thought about it until my sister walks up with "Guess what?" Either way, I enjoy all writers irrespective of gender:)

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott Stevens As an author, I find that in fiction it doesn't really matter the gender of the author. However, in nonfiction books it matters a lot. A male just can't get into the proper mindset to tell a female's story accurately, and vice-versa.

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) Scott wrote: "As an author, I find that in fiction it doesn't really matter the gender of the author. However, in nonfiction books it matters a lot. A male just can't get into the proper mindset to tell a female..."

Very true! :)