Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Fall '20 Read-a-Thon: NOPE Book Tag

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
There’s really no way around it. 2020 has been a year full of a whole lot of “NOPE”. So this may just be the perfect book tag to complete as we get closer and closer to saying goodbye to 2020.

1. NOPE ENDING: A book with an ending that made you go “Nope”. Either in denial, rage, or simply because it was crappy.

2. NOPE PROTAGONIST: A book with a main character you disliked or drove you crazy.

3. NOPE SERIES: A series that turned out to be a huge pile of nope, or a series that just wasn’t worth it anymore.

4. NOPE PAIRING: A popular pairing or “ship” or don’t support

5. NOPE PLOT TWIST: A twist you didn’t see coming and didn’t like

6. NOPE GENRE: A genre you will never read

7. NOPE FORMATTING: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition

8. NOPE TROPE: A hated story trope

9. NOPE RECOMMENDATION: A book recommendation that is constantly pushed at you, that you simply refuse to read.

10. NOPE CLICHE: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes.

11. NOPE BOOK: A book that shouldn’t have existed

12. NOPE VILLAIN: A villain you would hate to cross

13. NOPE DEATH: A character death that still haunts you

14. NOPE AUTHOR: An author you had a bad experience reading and have decided to quit

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2692 comments 1. NOPE ENDING: A book with an ending that made you go “Nope”. Either in denial, rage, or simply because it was crappy.
It's a bit of a stretch, but I'll go with The Finishing School because I thought the end was disappointing compared to the rest of the book. There was a lot of suspense built up and I loved some of the more unique directions the story was taking, but it all kind of fell apart right at the end.

2. NOPE PROTAGONIST: A book with a main character you disliked or drove you crazy.
I found Bailey in Alex, Approximately so annoying! I had so much trouble getting into the story because I was so irritated by her

3. NOPE SERIES: A series that turned out to be a huge pile of nope, or a series that just wasn’t worth it anymore.
Again, it's a stretch but the Three Dark Crowns was a bit more of a "nope" than expected. I still enjoyed it overall, but I expected it to be a new favourite and it wasn't.

If I open it up to series I've read in the past, then definitely the Matched trilogy!

Lara Jean and Peter Kavinsky in To All the Boys I've Loved Before. I thought they were okay, but definitely didn't love them as much as everyone else. It also didn't help that I really didn't like the narrator for the second book in the series and the voice she used for Peter, which really put me off him.

Searching for Sylvie Lee. There was one plot point that came up early on that I was hoping wouldn't become a thing in the book, and then it not only became one, but became such a major plotline, leading to a twist at the end that I also really didn't like.

Westerns. I have no interest whatsoever.

7. NOPE FORMATTING: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition
Mass market paperbacks!

Insta-love. It never feels realistic to me, and it makes it so hard for me to find the couple believable. Instant attraction is fine, but instantly falling in love doesn't make any sense to me.

9. NOPE RECOMMENDATION: A book recommendation that is constantly pushed at you, that you simply refuse to read.
Any of Rick Riordan's books, lol. They are so overhyped to me at the moment that I'm actively avoiding them.

10. NOPE CLICHE: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes.
This might be a controversial choice, but I really don't like it when authors throw in random words/lines in another language, especially if there is no translation or it is not obvious enough by the context what was said. It really pulls me out of the story trying to look it up or figure it out. I have no problem with other languages being used if it fits the story well (ie. The Astonishing Color of After) and serves a purpose, but it sometimes feels like it's thrown in just for the sake of it.

What If . . . Everyone Knew Your Name. This is the only one I could think of that I hated that much. It's a choose your own adventure kind of story, but very poorly structured. I kept running into characters I hadn't met yet as if I was already supposed to know who they are.

The first ones that came to mind from books I read this year were the Danes from A Darker Shade of Magic

Sirius Black

14. NOPE AUTHOR: An author you had a bad experience reading and have decided to quit
Colson Whitehead. I wouldn't necessarily say I've quit, but I found The Underground Railroad super slow and I have so little motivation to pick up any more of his books.

message 3: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 440 comments 1. NOPE ENDING: A book with an ending that made you go “Nope”. Either in denial, rage, or simply because it was crappy. Rush by Jeremy Iversen I suffered through reading this crappy book only for the death at the ending. Just nope. (Though this prompt really brings up more of feelings towards TV series *cough* Lost *cough*)

2. NOPE PROTAGONIST: A book with a main character you disliked or drove you crazy. So not the main character of the whole novel, but Jason during his POV of The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

3. NOPE SERIES: A series that turned out to be a huge pile of nope, or a series that just wasn’t worth it anymore. The Game of Thrones. I stopped about halfway through book three when I realized how depressing it was and how nothing good ever happened to anyone, even the villains. Just bad news all around.

4. NOPE PAIRING: A popular pairing or “ship” or don’t support Bella/Edward. And no, I wasn't Team Jacob either. I think they all deserved better.

5. NOPE PLOT TWIST: A twist you didn’t see coming and didn’t like I won't give any spoilers, but Trust Exercise bySusan Choi

6. NOPE GENRE: A genre you will never read It's hard to say definitely I will never read this genre ever again, but I'm definitely not into paranormal romance.

7. NOPE FORMATTING: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition I don't like ebooks for fiction, but prefer that format for nonfiction.

8. NOPE TROPE: A hated story tropeA mentally ill woman serving as the main character/victim of a thriller.

9. NOPE RECOMMENDATION: A book recommendation that is constantly pushed at you, that you simply refuse to read. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

10. NOPE CLICHE: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes. Obvious foreshadowing. When an author plainly states foreshadowing like "He would come to regret that choice later", it seems to say they think their readers are idiots.

11. NOPE BOOK: A book that shouldn’t have existed I'm going in a different direction with this one and picking books that shouldn't have had to exist (nothing against the books themselves): Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town and The Nickel Boys

12. NOPE VILLAIN: A villain you would hate to cross The Crucible Teenage girls can be rough lol

13. NOPE DEATH: A character death that still haunts you Fred Weasley in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

14. NOPE AUTHOR: An author you had a bad experience reading and have decided to quit. Liane Moriarty Big Little Lies was great, but all the rest seem to be disappointing.

message 4: by Nancy (last edited Sep 15, 2020 07:14AM) (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 1062 comments 1. NOPE ENDING: A book with an ending that made you go “Nope”. Either in denial, rage, or simply because it was crappy.
My Sister's Keeper. The ending was such a cop-out and I almost threw the book across the room.

A Confederacy of Dunces - Ignatius (not Augustus, duh) is insufferable. I listened to this on audio and the narrator YELLS all of Ignatius's dialog and I had to stop before my ear drums exploded.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was not my jam and I won't read any of the other books.

Christian and Ana in Fifty Shades of Grey.

The Woman in the Window. Great potential, bad execution.

Christian fiction just isn't my thing

I read all formats, but I guess I wouldn't read large print.

When characters break up for a stupid reason, usually just lack of communication, and are miserable apart until they realize they are meant to be together. If they'd just TALK to each other they'd be happy!

American Dirt

I have so many. When characters stare at another's lips when they want to kiss them is a big one.

The DaVinci Code

Amy in Gone Girl

When (view spoiler) dies in The Burning Maze, The Trials of Apollo book 3.

Jodi Picoult (see question #1!)

message 5: by Kat (last edited Sep 14, 2020 09:37PM) (new)

Kat | 301 comments 1. NOPE ENDING: A book with an ending that made you go “Nope”. Either in denial, rage, or simply because it was crappy. 
I remember being infuriated by Breaking Dawn. The whole book was building up to a huge fight and in the end nothing happened.

I really don't like Emma. I love reading Jane Austen and her main characters are usually such wonderful creations but I just find Emma to be so selfish and unlovable.

I read a lot of paranormal romance and they always seem to lose their way. Some series should just end instead of dragging it out. The worst example I can think of is Laurell K. Hamilton Anita Blake series.

I don't understand how romanticised the relationship between Heathcliff and Cathy from Wuthering Heights has become (I blame TV adaptations). It's sold as a great love story when it really isn't. Their relationship is so toxic and has such a negative impact on all the characters in the book.

Murder on the Orient Express always frustrated me. I read a lot of crime fiction and part of the fun is trying to work out who did it before the grand finale. How were we supposed to work out they were all in on it?

Horror. I don't like scary things and have never understood paying to be scared.

I don't like Hardbacks. They are heavy and hard to read, the dust jackets always get ruined or lost and they are so expensive.

Female protagonists male best friend is madly in love with her and she has no idea. Why cant friendship be highlighted as important without there being a romantic element to it?

So many people talk about Stephen King (I did enjoy The Green Mile) but I just don't want to read the genre he mostly writes.

I read a lot of series and a few of them seem to spend quite a bit of time on recapping things from previous books. If you've already read the previous books you should remember it through context and if you haven't why are you starting with book ten?

It's so frustrating that books such as Know My Name and Between the World and Me need to exist.

The orcs and nazgul from The Lord of the Rings always scared me more than Sauron and I would hate to come across them.

Pretty much all of them in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows but Dobby hit me the hardest. He's so innocent and didn’t deserve to die likebthat.

I read a lot of James Patterson when I was younger but just got fed up. There are so many books now to keep up with them and I don't think I would enjoy them anymore.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Peterson | 461 comments 1. NOPE ENDING: A book with an ending that made you go “Nope”. Either in denial, rage, or simply because it was crappy.
I have to agree with the poster above - Jodi Picoult is the most frequent cause of a Nope Ending for me. Most recently, I was furious about her Leaving Time, which I otherwise was enjoying! Just an absolutely ridiculous ending that literally made me roll my eyes.

This has got to be Mark Watney, from The Martian. This is clearly a me thing, because I know a ton of people love that book and love his character - I just found him SO ANNOYING.

I was looking forward to The Calculating Stars, which was recommended by people I like and seemed like something I would be really into. I thought I was going to get a whole fun sci-fi series out of it! Turns out, I didn't enjoy the first book at all and I won't be reading any more.

I feel like I'm a bit behind in the whole shipping business, but I gotta say that I was not super into Katniss/Peeta when I was a teenager. Don't get me wrong, I liked Peeta as a character, I just...didn't see any chemistry between the two of them. Or between Katniss and anyone, for that matter. Leave the girl alone, she's very busy.

The Girl on the Train: I honestly don't remember if I saw it coming or not, I more remember just caring so little about this book that it totally didn't matter to me who did it. I really need more from a mystery/thriller than just "But which one of these horrible people killed her??"

Hmm, I'd never say never...but I'm pretty unlikely to pick up self help books, especially ones that have a religious/spiritual bent.

I don't hate ebooks at all - in fact, I read them from Libby very frequently - but I do hate buying ebooks. It just doesn't feel like owning a book to me.

When very young women meet their (older) future husbands and then eventually get into a relationship with them once they're of legal age. I especially hate this when a sci/fi or magical twist allows them to meet. I think this is downright creepy and don't like that it's often dressed up as a sweet, romantic thing (*cough cough* The Time Traveler's Wife)

Hm, nothing is really coming to mind. I don't know if there's anything I'm actively avoiding - if something keeps being recommended to me and I haven't added it to my list, it probably just isn't catching my attention.

When characters talk about what music (and to a lesser extent, books) they like, especially if it's to demonstrate anything about their personality. Even if I also like that book or music, it still annoys me.

Gotta agree with The Da Vinci Code. Also The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Aargh!

I was pretty terrified by a lot of Roald Dahl's villains, especially that super scary witch in The Witches who took her face off.

I should probably go with something from my childhood. I agree with everyone thinking of Harry Potter deaths, but I think an earlier heartbreak for me was Bridge to Terabithia. I really can't deal with watching kids deal with loss.

I'm officially done with Gillian Flynn. I gave her a second chance after Gone Girl, because I thought it might have just been the unpleasantness of being inside a so blatantly misogynistic man's head that made me dislike it. But no, I didn't enjoy any of them, so I think she's just not for me. Not objectively bad, and certainly a very compelling writer, but...unpleasant and I don't like a lot of her writing choices.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 603 comments 1. NOPE ENDING: A book with an ending that made you go “Nope”. Either in denial, rage, or simply because it was crappy.
I loved the Lunar Chronicles but the ending of Winter felt like such a cop out. (view spoiler)

Death in The Book Thief. The POV with it's little asides was just annoying

Twilight - A friend told me the series got better as it went along. It got worse!

Jo and Laurie in Little Women. It feels right that they didn't end up together

Because they happen so early on in the book, the deaths of some very prominent characters in The Lies of Locke Lamora. I did not see that coming and I am not over it.

Westerns probably

Audiobooks

The girl who thinks she's so different from other girls because she reads. Everyone reading your story reads too.

I tried him for the first time this year and Terry Pratchett isn't for me

Books with no speech marks for dialogue. Why is this a thing?

Go Set a Watchman It added nothing of value to the original book

Javert from Les Misérables because then he'd stalk you for twenty years!

Patroclus in The Song of Achilles. I knew it was coming but it still made me cry

After reading Ivanhoe last year, I removed all Walter Scott from my TBR.

message 8: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Robin P | 1926 comments Mod
So much fun to do this, also to read other people's. Interesting that 3 "nope" characters above are some of my favorites - Mark Watney from the Martian, Jane Austen's Emma, and Ignatius from A Confederacy of Dunces (especially because of the audio). I guess I like snarky characters.

1. NOPE ENDING: A book with an ending that made you go “Nope”. Either in denial, rage, or simply because it was crappy.
The Kite Runner. The first third of the book was outstanding, the middle was fine but the last part was so melodramatic - really, the SAME guy?

2. NOPE PROTAGONIST: A book with a main character you disliked or drove you crazy. In Gone Girl, both spouses, and the "friend", were all unbelievable. Sure, people are insane but nobody is so consistently & brilliantly insane for no good reason.

3. NOPE SERIES: A series that turned out to be a huge pile of nope, or a series that just wasn’t worth it anymore. - Game of Thrones was great for the first 3, got boring and now, who knows?

4. NOPE PAIRING: A popular pairing or “ship” or don’t support - David and Dora in David Copperfield. Obviously he should have married Agnes.

5. NOPE PLOT TWIST: A twist you didn’t see coming and didn’t like - In Fingersmith, there are so many plot twists that it gets ridiculous. At about the 4th one, I threw the book across the room and quit. (I really liked the author's other books, which usually have one plot twist.)

6. NOPE GENRE: A genre you will never read - True Crime. Why would I want to know more about serial killers? I don't even like it when mysteries have sections from within the mind of the killer.

7. NOPE FORMATTING: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition - Something with very tiny print

8. NOPE TROPE: A hated story trope - Female detective, often amateur, is tricked into going or deliberately goes alone to a rendezvous with the villain

9. NOPE RECOMMENDATION: A book recommendation that is constantly pushed at you, that you simply refuse to read. - Code Name Verity or anything else with Nazis

10. NOPE CLICHE: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes. - Historical novels that name drop in awkward ways - "I was just passing by the town square and I saw General Washington, who said. . ."

11. NOPE BOOK: A book that shouldn’t have existed - the 50 Shades series

12. NOPE VILLAIN: A villain you would hate to cross - Nazis, see above

13. NOPE DEATH: A character death that still haunts you - Beth in Little Women. So unfair that she recovers in the first volume only to die in the 2nd.

14. NOPE AUTHOR: An author you had a bad experience reading and have decided to quit - Annie Dillard in Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - I felt like I had been reading for hours and found I was on page 30 and all she had done was describe a tree. I can zip through long novels but decided nature writing wasn't for me.

message 9: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1406 comments Mod
1. NOPE ENDING: The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
I loved this book; the mystery itself: awesome; that ending though...

2. NOPE PROTAGONIST: The Scarlet Letter

3. NOPE SERIES: Sass & Sorcery
Rat Queens starts out as a such an interesting and fun series but it quickly went off the rails

4. NOPE PAIRING: Jane Eyre
I don't need to explain this.

5. NOPE PLOT TWIST: can't think of one

6. NOPE GENRE: ya romance, I guess?

7. NOPE FORMATTING: movie cover edition. I will never buy it

8. NOPE TROPE: love triangles; or really any situation where love interests are just piling up around the protagonist because they're just so perfect

9. NOPE RECOMMENDATION: anything by Kristin Hannah

10. NOPE CLICHE: the protagonist is just perfect/pretty that men are just constantly falling in love with her

11. NOPE BOOK: Be(loved): Poetry and Prose for the Journey Home

12. NOPE VILLAIN: The Fellowship of the Ring
any of them. just nope.

13. NOPE DEATH: (view spoiler)

14. NOPE AUTHOR: I can't really think of any that aren't one-and-dones

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 930 comments 1. NOPE ENDING: A book with an ending that made you go “Nope”. Either in denial, rage, or simply because it was crappy. Eden Close

2. NOPE PROTAGONIST: A book with a main character you disliked or drove you crazy. Love in the Time of Cholera

3. NOPE SERIES: A series that turned out to be a huge pile of nope, or a series that just wasn’t worth it anymore. In the Woods Dublin Murder Squad by Tana French

4. NOPE PAIRING: A popular pairing or “ship” you don’t support. Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan - I wanted him to see she wasn't worth it.

6. NOPE GENRE: A genre you will never read. Graphic Novels - tried and rejected.

7. NOPE FORMATTING: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition - Mass paperbacks - the old eyes just can't do it anymore.

8. NOPE TROPE: A hated story trope. I am what I am because my father abused me. Just plain overused.

9. NOPE RECOMMENDATION: A book recommendation that is constantly pushed at you, that you simply refuse to read. The Great Alone - I hated, and I mean hated The Nightingale

10. NOPE CLICHE: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes. The male/female are friends until they suddenly realize they are in love.

11. NOPE BOOK: A book that shouldn’t have existed. Lolita

12. NOPE VILLAIN: A villain you would hate to cross. Preacher in The Night of the Hunter

13. NOPE DEATH: A character death that still haunts you. Agnes in Burial Rites

14. NOPE AUTHOR: An author you had a bad experience reading and have decided to quit. Nikolai Gogol

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 930 comments Jackie, I laughed because I posted and then went up to read yours and we both listed Kristen Hannah as our NOPE Recommendation.

message 12: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Kristick | 671 comments 1. NOPE ENDING: A book with an ending that made you go “Nope”. Either in denial, rage, or simply because it was crappy.
Like others have said, My Sister's Keeper

2. NOPE PROTAGONIST: A book with a main character you disliked or drove you crazy.Yappy Hour - a TSTL heroine

Piers Anthony Xanth series - the puerile misogyny just got worse and worse

Fifty Shades of Grey

A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea - not a plot twist really, as it was this man's life, but I did not see the ending coming and it was such a downer

There's very little I won't read if there is nothing else available, but I would never pick up a Christian apologetics book by choice

Don't really hate it, but I listen to too many podcasts to have time for audiobooks

City slicker is stranded in a small town and finds out small town life is better

It - don't read much horror as it is, but this plot really squicks me out

Misused synonyms, where it seems the author swallowed a thesaurus and is breaking out the big words to sound smart

Finding it hard to think of one - maybe Fifty Shades of Grey, with its derivative plot, bad writing, horrible characters, and extremely bad description of BDSM

The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper

Another repeat answer- Jodi Picoult

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 1062 comments Don't really hate it, but I listen to too many podcasts to have time for audiobooks

This made me laugh, because I listen to audiobooks so don't have time for podcasts!

message 14: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Robin P | 1926 comments Mod
Nancy wrote: "Don't really hate it, but I listen to too many podcasts to have time for audiobooks

This made me laugh, because I listen to audiobooks so don't have time for podcasts!"

Yes, me too! I always say that if audiobooks didn't exist, I would definitely listen to podcasts, the way I used to listen to radio.

The city slicker in a small town also finds an available wonderful person of the right age and background to fall in love with.

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 1062 comments And the wonderful person of the right age and background is newly divorced/widowed and the city slicker helps them move on.

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Peterson | 461 comments Robin P wrote: "So much fun to do this, also to read other people's. Interesting that 3 "nope" characters above are some of my favorites - Mark Watney from the Martian, Jane Austen's Emma, and Ignatius from A Conf..."

Funny - I absolutely adore Emma. I guess her snarkiness works for me!

message 17: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Sara wrote: "Jackie, I laughed because I posted and then went up to read yours and we both listed Kristen Hannah as our NOPE Recommendation."

I've never given her a chance - her books are just so thoroughly not my kind of thing that I don't feel I need to. And yet people are constantly like "I just read x! It's from Kristin Hannah, have you read her?" and then I have to say no, and then inevitably the response is "Oh you *should*! She's so good!"

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 930 comments Take it from me...she is not! lol.

message 19: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Robin P wrote: "The city slicker in a small town also finds an available wonderful person of the right age and background to fall in love with."

In cozy mysteries the protagonist usually finds 2-3 such men who inevitably fall into the categories of Classy Old Money, Protective Bad Boy, or ~*Nice Guy*~ (who usually starts out solidly in the friendzone). And usually around book 4, an old flame from the city will come for a visit and will be Shocked and Astonished that mc could really want to stay in this small town. They will rekindle their romance but in the end when he asks her to come back to the city with him, she will tell him she can't - she's in love...with the town. Cue sunset.

At this point I have all but written off cozies set in contemporary small town America because I just can't anymore. Especially if they're advertised as "With a splash of romance!"

{I don't hate romance to be clear, I just want to enjoy my haunted house mysteries in peace without any interruptions from Shirtless Motorcycle Man}

message 20: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 801 comments 1. NOPE ENDING: A book with an ending that made you go “Nope”. Either in denial, rage, or simply because it was crappy.
I have to agree with My Sister's Keeper. After everything that preceded it to have that ending?! Yeah, no.

The Nest. Everyone was so narcissistic.

Not sure on this one.

Gone Girl ugh
I will read mostly anything but have never read books on finance ir economics except for school.

Mass market with movie covers. I love original covers much more.

Protagonist is average but yet everyone seems to just fall in love with them instantly

I have yet to read anything by Stephen King. Im too much of a wimp

Insta love like come on you met 5 minutes ago

The Nest, just trash

Beth from Little Women

Gillian Flynn. Although I did enjoy Dark Places more than Gone Girl, I'm not sure she is my cup of tea.