Book Cover Reviews discussion

Cover Reviews > Cover Review

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dennis (new)

Dennis | 2 comments Two cover concepts for consideration.
A struggling comedian tries to salvage his career by offering comedic tributes for the dead. the results are hilarious, disastrous and far-reaching, propelling the reader into the dark underworld of the funeral industry, life insurance scams, savage politics, a kidnap and murder mystery.

https://ibb.co/619YbPj (Stage)

https://ibb.co/wpd1sZF (Urn)

message 2: by Harald, The Swimmer (new)

Harald | 402 comments Mod
Hi Dennis,

Fascinating premise!

In terms of instant accessibility, "Stage" is better, but you really can't see what's going on. (Is that an urn on a stool?) On the other hand, I like the yellow urn and ashes in "Urn." Possible to combine a bit? How about putting the yellow urn/ashes (but WITHOUT the title lettering) onto the dark background, keeping the big, light title? Wanna try?

message 3: by Leo (new)

Leo Walsh (llleoll) | 29 comments Dennis wrote: "Two cover concepts for consideration.
A struggling comedian tries to salvage his career by offering comedic tributes for the dead. the results are hilarious, disastrous and far-reaching, propellin..."

Sorry in advance if this seems like a lot, but the story idea sounds cools and I'd love to see you succeed.

I like the one with the comedian... but with serious reservations. It's a solid sketch, but way short of being "complete," IMHO. Still, book covers with humans on them tend to sell better.

That said, my biggest issue with this cover is that the images are poorly blended. They inhabit different universes. The comedian's a photograph, quite 3-dimensional. The urn, stool and stage are illustrated, probably a vector graphic created in illustrator with faux 3-d. But the crowd seems like a flat silhouette.

Other issues.

The urn is a touch off perspective, so seems to float over the stool.
Because it reads as flat, the crowd is incongruous with the photgraphed comedian and the stage.
Stages are raised, but the comedian's body position (his head being level with the audience) makes him seem sunk below the crowd due to how the eye reads visual perspective.
The comedian is back-lit. The people watching would not be able to see him. What's more, the back-lighting will imply that you should be able to make out details of the audience, This, again, breaks the illusion and makes the image appear out-of-whack.

You can pull this off... but it would take some doing. You'll need to bring in a layer to blend these, a common designer's trick. And You'll need a perspective wrp tool (available on Photoshop, GIMP, etc) to make the urn's perspective match the stool's. A lot of work.

Me, I'm lazy. I'd just find a stronger image of a comedian in a club that I can use without blending since blending is an art. :-)

Oh, And I'd lower the title in the frame. A cheap designer's trick is to draw guides at 1/3 from the top, bottom and sides. Center the tit;e at 33% from the top... and your mind will "read" it as being halfway down. Trust me, that alone will increase your flow.

Good luck.

message 4: by Dennis (new)

Dennis | 2 comments https://ibb.co/L9d6nfX Live yellow

I've punched up the cover per some recommendations here but I am as far as I can go with a stock photo designer - any cover designer recommendations to achieve more impactful results per suggestions here-in.
Thanks

Dennis
dk@gamedesign.com

message 5: by Harald, The Swimmer (new)

Harald | 402 comments Mod
Better! But need to brighten that Army green main title.

message 6: by Joey (new)

Joey Carney (simieditions) | 3 comments The urn is interesting, but looks pretty armature and it's going to be hard to pull off. The stage is more generic but I think it looks a bit more professional. It's also more obvious in the stage one that he's a comedian. Maybe I just don't go to funerals much, but I didn't realize that was an urn until I read your description.

I agree with Dennis, that if you do the stage one, make the urn yellow to stand out more, and to match lettering.