What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Wave of Fear: A Classic Horror Anthology
This topic is about A Wave of Fear
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult Short Horror Story. Frightening Unearthed Mosaic. [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

JJ C (belle_dillinger) | 11 comments Read this short story in an anthology of ghost stories in the late 1970's. The writers were nearly all from Britain. Story concerns man in the modern-day English countryside who, either accidentally or on purpose, uncovers an ancient mosaic. As he uncovers more he recognizes the landscape depicted in the mosaic--it is where he is now staying. In the distance is a small figure. As he chips away at the dirt and debris of the mosaic and more of the image is revealed, he realizes the figure is coming closer. Style is somewhat similar to M.R. James.

message 2: by [on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars (last edited Sep 14, 2020 09:47AM) (new) - added it

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1527 comments I don't recognize the story off hand, but here are some authors with a similar style to James to look into:
R.H. Malden
Eleanor Scott (her story Celui-la from the collection Randalls Round somewhat similar, but features a mural rather than a mosaic, and is set in france)
L.T.C. Rolt
A.N.L. Munby
E.F. Benson
E.G. Swain
H. Russell Wakefield

Also look into the anthologies edited by Hugh Lamb, which often featured stories of this type.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35772 comments Mod
JJ, is this story for adults or teens?

message 4: by JJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

JJ C (belle_dillinger) | 11 comments Hello Kris, The story was for adult readers.

message 5: by JJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

JJ C (belle_dillinger) | 11 comments Yes, H. R. Wakefield's style was similar to James. His "Blind Man's Buff" is the single most terrifying story I've ever read. (going off topic) ..thanks to all for replying. I'm familiar with most of the authors you've kindly listed so I'll check them out. ..also the Lamb anthologies. :)

message 6: by JJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

JJ C (belle_dillinger) | 11 comments Hello again, The Eleanor Scott story Celui-La is the story I've been looking for, for all these many years. I can't thank you all enough for your help--I had about given up hope and told myself I had imagined reading the story! I know exactly how to find this again, and am looking forward to re-reading it (even if it isn't as good as" Blind Man's Buff' lol). Cheers! PS. I'd forgotten about those Lamb anthologies--those were some great ones..and the titles! Gotta love them :)

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott I love stories like this and am happy to see that I have it in a collection I haven't read yet.

The Century's Best Horror Fiction Volume One

message 8: by Kris (new)

Glad you found your story, JJ. Can you remember which anthology/book you found it in?

message 9: by JJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

JJ C (belle_dillinger) | 11 comments Scott wrote: "I love stories like this and am happy to see that I have it in a collection I haven't read yet.

The Century's Best Horror Fiction Volume One"

Definitely some outstanding stories in this one.

message 10: by JJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

JJ C (belle_dillinger) | 11 comments Kris wrote: "Glad you found your story, JJ. Can you remember which anthology/book you found it in?"

Yes, I fortunately can! It was the Lamb anthology "A Wave of Fear." Lots of excellent entries of the subtle, creeping dread kind of English ghost story I'm so fond of.

message 11: by Kris (new)

Great. Thanks for the update. A Wave of Fear: A Classic Horror Anthology by Hugh Lamb