The Challenge Factory discussion

♦SSS Archives♦ > R12: SSS Team 2 - Love 2 Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 452 (452 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Dec 10, 2020 10:40AM) (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5870 comments Mod
Team 2 - Love 2 Read

Captain:
Suzanne 1
Tamie-lee
Ezinwanyi
Denise (mod)
Pallavi

(view spoiler)

Bonus Points:
Earned: 6
Used: 6

message 2: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Helpful Links:

Dice Roll (1 die on Thursdays & Sundays, US Central Time)
R12 SSS Post Your Spot
R12 SSS Discussion Thread

Time Zone Converter

message 3: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Board

message 4: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

ALTERNATE LIST:
**titles exclude leading articles (a, an, the)

1. Less than 100 ratings
2. Title 'L'
3. Cover Item: Furniture
4. Author 'B'
5. South America
6. Cover: Black
7. Published 2019
8. MC has a pet
9. Cover Item: Lamp/Candle
10. Set in a place you've visited
11. Romance
12. MC has at least one child
13. Set sometime before 1600 AD
14. Cover Item: Jewelry
15. Book that a teammate rated 5 stars
16. Cover: Pink
17. Four or More Words Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
18. MC is older than 60
19. North America
20. Title 'G'
21. Cover Item: Animal
22. Set anytime between 1600-1837
23. Female Author
24. Cover: Green
25. Published 2015-2016
26. Non-Fiction
27. Cover Item: Two or more people
28. Author uses their middle name/initial (e.g. Robert J. Sawyer, Rita Mae Brown)
29. Cover: Red
30. Cover Item: Water
31. Young Adult/New Adult
32. Set in a Fictional Location/Universe
33. Africa
34. Seasonal Theme (i.e Christmas, Halloween etc)
35. Author 'S'
36. GR average rating >4.0
37. Number in the Title (Third Grave Dead Ahead or Every Fifteen Minutes)
38. Originally published in a language other than English
39. School/College/University
40. Cover Item: Food/Drink
41. Title 'E'
42. Cover Item: Weapon
43. Published 2011-2012
44. Author 'M'
45. LGBTQ+
46. Cover: White
47. Published 2001-2010
48. Australia
49. Author 'P'
50. Cover: Blue
51. Published 2017
52. Cover Item: One person
53. Author 'O'
54. Published before 1950
55. Set anytime between 1837-1901
56. One Word Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Witness or Divergent
57. Cover: Yellow/Gold
58. Mystery/Thriller
59. Author H
60. Asia
61. Several authors
62. Author 'R'
63. Award Winner (must state which/when)
64. New to You Author
65. Published 2013-2014
66. Title 'T'
67. Cover Item: Book
68. MC travels by train
69. Title has a subtitle
70. Cover Item: Mode of Transportation
71. Title 'J'
72. Set in the future
73. Cover Item: Hands/Arms/Feet/Legs (no other body parts visible)
74. Book to Movie/TV (must state how book qualifies: listopia, imdb, precis)
75. Male Author
76. Two Word Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) Deadly Silence, The Hunger Games
77. Title 'F'
78. Cover: Purple
79. Debut Novel or Debut Author
80. Author uses a pseudonym
81. Title 'C'
82. Cover Item: Building
83. Published between 1950 and 1999
84. Author 'D'
85. MC is in their 20's
86. Title 'V'
87. Cover Item: Sun/Moon
88. Science Fiction
89. Title 'B'
90. Cover: Orange
91. Published 2018
92. Three Word Title (excludes articles like A, An, The) Behind Closed Doors or Etched in Bone
93. Europe
94. Author 'W'
95. Cover Item: Dress
96. Fantasy
97. Cover Item: Hat/Helmet/Other Headwear
98. Author 'I'
99. MC travels by airplane
100. Author 'L'
101. Four or more Words Title (excluding articles like A, An, The) The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
102. Cover: Brown
103. Published 2020
104. Author 'F'
105. Title 'G'
106. Romance
107. Anthology/Short Stories
108. Cover: Green
109. Title 'N'
110. Favorite Author
111. Author 'Y'

message 5: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

A couple of things to keep in mind:

✸ Communication is key. Please make sure to check in regularly with your team.

✸ Let your team know if it looks like you won't get your review posted by Wednesday/Saturday, 11:59pm. You do have all of Thursday/Sunday to submit your review, but it can be intensely frustrating for your captain if they don't know when or if they can expect your review before the deadline.

✸ If you know beforehand that you won't be able to read and review a book during a certain period of time, you can request a pre-arranged absence from me, either by posting the request in the discussion thread or by sending me a pm. The request has to be submitted before the team rolls for the time period in question, can only be approved by me as the mod in charge of running the game, and has to state a reason for the absence. (Reasons for pre-arranged absences can include e.g. going on vacation or work trips, planned hospital stays, exam period, etc.)

✸ If you do not have a pre-arranged absence and won't be able to finish your book in time for an unforeseen reason, please let your team know as soon as possible. If the team has earned the free pass, it can be used to cover the missing review. Without a free pass, the team has to sit out the next roll.

✸ We all know that real life gets in the way sometimes, be it through family emergencies, work emergencies, natural disasters, technical problems making it impossible to get online, or in other ways. That being said, please do keep in mind that this is a team challenge and your team relies on you to do your part unless an emergency occurs.

✸ If you find that the pressure of keeping up with the pace of the game gets too much for you or you wish to stop playing for any other reason, you can drop out of the challenge at any time. In that case, please let your team captain and/or me know that you wish to drop out rather than just disappearing without a word so your team won't be penalized when you fail to turn in your review. Thank you!

Captain's Handbook

✸ The team's captain is its chief organizer. This includes rolling the dice, posting the team's new spot to the team thread and the Post Your Spot thread, collecting links to team members' review posts in a single post to be linked in the Post Your Spot thread, doublechecking that books and review posts comply with requirements, reminding team members to post their reviews in time if necessary, etc.

✸ The captain may delegate some tasks, such as rolling and posting the new spot to the team thread, to another team member if they so choose. (Either a designated roller who fulfills this role for every roll, or whichever team member is online first once rolling is possible.) Collecting reviews into a single post and posting to the Post Your Spot thread should always be handled by the captain.

✸ Instead of having everything handled by a single team captain, teams can also choose two co-captains to handle the workload.

✸ Selection posts are not strictly required by the game's rules and I won't be checking for them. It's up to the team captain to decide whether they want them.

✸ If the team captain requests a pre-arranged absence, it's their responsibility to arrange for another team member to step in as temporary captain.

✸ The team captain is my primary point of contact for the team and should allow receiving private messages.

message 6: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Hi team! Looks like the randomizer decided this team gets double mod-power. :D

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Hello! I think randomizers are the best thing ever because you don't have to fret about choosing things. And in this case, I feel lucky as well :)

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments I can probably captain if needed - at least if the time deadlines aren't eastern or central :) However, I may not be the best at reminding people to check-in/post. I'd try, but there are some weeks that I'm just tired of nagging (I teach college, and there are weeks I just meet my nag quota). Anyway, I'm also happy to be a non-nagging reader if someone else wants to captain!

message 9: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

It's central time for the deadline. I'm 8 hours ahead of that, so it's 8am for me. I can roll on Thursdays if that helps, but I'm not getting up that early on Sunday. :D
I can captain if the timezone is too inconvenient for you, but I'll kind of have my hands full nagging absolutely everybody about everything, so I'd much prefer if someone else could handle our team. (I'll be your back-up nagger though, no problem! *lol*)

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments I should be able to handle the central time alright - at least it is only one hour different! I was mostly worried about evening deadlines, since sadly I teach every night til 9 (mountain). Mornings are no problem - my giant dog has an internal clock and I NEVER get to sleep in :) And wow, with a back-up nagger, I'd be happy to captain! :)

message 11: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

My cats also have internal clocks, except theirs are on "It's FOOD time" pretty much constantly when they're not sleeping. XD One or the other will invariably demand breakfast at 4am...

Great, that's the captain thing settled! :)

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Well dur - reading through the FAQ, I saw the central time - SORRY - I've already failed the reading comprehension part of the challenge!

So I can see the deadlines for posting, but what is the earliest possible time we can roll on Thursdays/Sundays? Is it as soon as the day strikes in the central time zone? (i.e. 12:01 a.m.?

message 13: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Yup, if all reviews are in we can roll at 12.01am.

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Thanks Denise! I'll likely just roll before I go to bed then, at least the times we have all our reviews in. Then I can dream all night about what to read :)

message 15: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments I messaged our other two when I realized:
1. It would be smart to finish what I'm reading before starting something new because:
2. We can roll in something like 30 hour from now - which is soon! Time goes by so fast

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Oh I guess we need a name, although "Team 2" works :) The only one I thought of is "Two many books, Two little time." Sigh, I'm really not great at thinking of names

message 17: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16384 comments Mod
I thought I had checked in. Sorry. I typed a message before.
Anyway, I’m excited to pay this game

message 18: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Suzanne wrote: "Oh I guess we need a name, although "Team 2" works :) The only one I thought of is "Two many books, Two little time." Sigh, I'm really not great at thinking of names"

Thanks for the PM.
I love 2 Many Books as a name!

message 19: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

We are all fast readers so we should be okay. May I suggest Suzanne because Denise will be putting out fires on the game. I can back up Suzanne...and Denise if needed

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Thanks! It's always so nice to have backup because life tends to throw things - especially this year!

message 21: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

I saw where I messed up. I checked into Group 3 🤣🤣🤣

message 22: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Oops! That's so easy to do! I sometimes forget to press post too, then wonder why nobody responded

message 23: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

I went to Group 2 and Theo said, while we’d love to have you...
🤣🤣🤣

message 24: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Suzanne wrote: "Two many books, Two little time."

That's my life right there!

message 25: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

I've shot Tamie-lee another PM since we're so close to game start and she still hasn't checked in either here or in SS. Hopefully we'll hear from her!

message 26: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments fingers crossed! thanks for messaging her! Am I ok to roll even if she doesn't check in?

message 27: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Of course!

message 28: by Suzanne (last edited Sep 19, 2020 08:14AM) (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Week:1 Thursday
Roll: 3
Previous Spot: 0
Current Spot: 3
Bonus Points Earned: 0
Bonus Points Used:0

To Read
#3 in series
Alternate:3. Cover Item: Furniture

Reviews
Suzanne Beauty
Ezinwanyi The Edge of Darkness
DeniseHunt for the Enemy
Tamie-LeeDestruction of Two

message 29: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments I'll put it in "Post your spot" tomorrow once I see what other teams do :)

message 30: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Checking out the competition first? :D

Tamie-lee has now checked into her SS thread, so she's definitely around. I included a link to this thread and a reminder of when the game starts in my PM to her yesterday, so... idk what's going on.

message 31: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Lol yeah I was mostly wanting to see how much II needed to post for the first roll. I was definitely making it too difficult! Not the first time...

Fingers crossed for Tamie-lee!!

message 32: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Sep 17, 2020 01:37AM) (new)

SELECTION Post (Week 1)
Roll 1:
Spot 3
Edge of Darkness (Hunter Legacy, #3) by Lara Adrian
Title: Edge of Darkness by Lara Adrian
Qualification: Book 3, Hunter Legacy
Pages: 308 pages

message 33: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 17, 2020 11:43AM) (new)

SELECTION POST
Spot: 3
Hunt for the Enemy (The Enemy, #3) by Rob Sinclair
Book: Hunt for the Enemy by Rob Sinclair
Qualification: The Enemy #3
Pages: 304

message 34: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments SELECTION POST
Beauty (Everland Ever After, #3) by Caroline Lee
Beauty
Qualification: #3 in Everland Ever After
Pages: 200

message 35: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Completion Post

Week 1: Roll 1
Beauty (Everland Ever After, #3) by Caroline Lee
Book: Beauty by Caroline Lee
Qualification: #3 in Everland Ever After
Finished: 9/17/20
Rating: ★★★

Review:
Arabella is a widow with a young son. When young, she was a great beauty, and now she's feeling older (although from my perspective she's still really young!). She's obsessed with being beautiful and a whole other list of "perfect" qualities. I found that pretty unsympathetic at first, but as I got to know her and her reasons, I understood more. The "Beast" in this story is a disfigured violinist who decides to retire to the town of Everland. It was a good story, especially for its length, and I certainly may read others in the series, since I was curious about the people and their fairy tale connections.

message 36: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

COMPLETION Post (Week 1)
Roll 1:
Spot 3
Edge of Darkness (Hunter Legacy, #3) by Lara Adrian
Title: Edge of Darkness by Lara Adrian
Qualification: Book 3, Hunter Legacy
Pages: 308 pages
Read: 9/17
Rating & Review: 3.5 stars
I enjoyed this story but after reading more than 16 books in this series, this book was truly more of the same. What I find different in this spinoff is that the couple don’t have as much interaction with the brotherhood since the H are gen one breed. I liked the family feel of having the entire breed family all together.

With that said, I liked Lenny a lot. She was raising her nephew as they tried to figure out what happened to her sister who has been missing for 5 years. It was serendipity that Knox showed up to her diner because she knew exactly what he was and how he could help her. The rest of their journey read just like the prior books. Their chemistry was okay, the little boy made me like them more. I don’t know if I really felt them as a couple as much as i felt they as parents and protectors.

If you like the prior two books, you will like this one.

message 37: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

PM'd Tamie-lee again to remind her of the impending deadline and let her know that she'll forfeit her place on the team if she doesn't show.

message 38: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Thanks Denise! Hopefully she'll show up - I'd like to meet her. But the SSS certainly requires lots of attention too - so sometimes it just doesn't fit into life. For me, I'm so glad you are running it, because it gives me something fun to look forward to in the midst of all the school stuff (which I love but its just so busy).

message 39: by Tamie-lee (new)

Tamie-lee | 88 comments I'm so sorry, I did a derp and forgot there were 2 competitions (didn't see the extra S) so when I got your message I thought I'd already reported in (wrong game, lol).
I'm here now, sorry for the wait.

message 40: by Tamie-lee (last edited Sep 18, 2020 03:18PM) (new)

Tamie-lee | 88 comments COMPLETION POST

Destruction of Two (Origins of the Six #3) by A.K. Koonce
Book: Destruction of Two by A.K. Koonce
Qualification: #3 in Origins of Six
Finished: 9/18/20
Rating: 4/5

Review:
I think this is definitely the best book in the series, and I have enjoyed the series as a whole, although I didn't realize it was erotica when I started reading, but I'm not complaining.
Like the rest of the series, it reads like a fairly stock standard YA series; our protagonist of unknown heritage discovers she has latent supernatural talents and is sent to a special school/academy full of similar supernaturals where they are to learn how to utilize those talents, followed by the protagonist making a startling discovery about her true heritage/parentage and the extent of her powers. Sound familiar? Oh yeah but there's also some generous servings of juicy smut.
The character development at this point in the series is getting good, especially the interaction between the men. But Isara's big parentage reveal didn't come as much of a surprise.
I was really disappointed by the ending though, and have found the 4th and last book really hard to find a copy of, so I might not finish the series.

message 41: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Yay! So good to have you, Tamie-lee! I can totally see that happening to me with the SS and SSS :) We are glad you are here.

And thanks for the review!

message 42: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Tamie-lee wrote: "I'm so sorry, I did a derp and forgot there were 2 competitions (didn't see the extra S) so when I got your message I thought I'd already reported in (wrong game, lol).
I'm here now, sorry for the..."

Hey, glad you're here! :D
I was hoping it was just a case of confusion. :)

... And now I'd better get a move on with my book, turns out I'm the last one to finish! XD

message 43: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments If you finish today (or even tomorrow) you're still super speedy Denise :)

message 44: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 19, 2020 07:53AM) (new)

Hunt for the Enemy (The Enemy, #3) by Rob Sinclair
Book:
Hunt for the Enemy by Rob Sinclair
Qualification: The Enemy #3
Pages: 304
Finished: 19 Sep 2020
Rating: ★★

Review:
And that's this trilogy done. Logan finally figures out what the hell is going on and shoots his way out of the whole mess, with a lot of macho posturing, gratuitous violence, and people being gullible idiots along the way. We get a bunch of flashbacks to his training days and old missions (the significance of which eventually becomes clear) but like in the previous book, all the flashback scenes just kill the momentum. At least half of them could have been dispensed with entirely. Ultimately, this was a decent ending for the trilogy, but the journey there was too convoluted. On the upside, at least it was a quick read...

message 45: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Nice job team!! I will get our tracking post ready, and yay - I can roll as soon as it turns into Sunday!

message 46: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Hmmm...testing a format for post a spot - I have serious brain fog this week - I gave tests in all of my classes and have graded the in-class ones - I got the take home ones last night and need to do that, and my mind is tired. Anyway...Next post, then I'll modify if any of you have suggestions:

message 47: by Suzanne (last edited Sep 19, 2020 08:24AM) (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Week:1 Roll 2
Roll: ??? TBD
Previous Spot: 3
Current Spot:

Reviews for Spot 3
Suzanne Beauty
Ezinwanyi The Edge of Darkness
DeniseHunt for the Enemy
Tamie-LeeDestruction of Two

message 48: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Team 1 posted reviews separately, which may be easier. Lol I don't know! I just put in our link as well for Roll 1 that has our reviews on it.

I'll roll again early Sunday morning Central :)

message 49: by Suzanne (last edited Sep 23, 2020 08:56PM) (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Week:1 Roll 2
Roll: 4
Previous Spot: 3
Current Spot: 7
Bonus Points Earned: 1 2 -in-one #7 in series and published in 2019
Bonus Points Used:0

To Read
#7 in series
Alternate: 7. Published 2019

Reviews
Suzanne Sprinkled in Malice
Note: Earns 2 in 1 bonus point
Ezinwanyi The Wrong Highlander
DeniseA Noble Radiance
Tamie-Lee

message 50: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 927 comments Selection Post - Week 1 - roll 2 (Sunday)
Sprinkled in Malice (Cookies & Chance Mystery #7) by Catherine Bruns
Book: Sprinkled in Malice by Catherine Bruns
Pages: 296
How it qualifies #7 in Cookies & Chance Mystery; It is also published in 2019

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10