Play Book Tag discussion

Salt to the Sea
This topic is about Salt to the Sea
September 2020: Other Books > Salt to the Sea - Ruta Sepetys (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1360 comments Salt to the Sea - Ruta Sepetys

4 stars

Salt to the Sea is a young adult historical fiction novel set during World War II. It follows the journey of a group of refugees fleeing Russian troops at the end of the War. They eventually find their way by foot to the ship the Wilhelm Gustloff. Unfortunately, this ship was struck by torpedoes from a Russian submarine and the incident became one of the biggest maritime disasters in history.

I liked this book a lot. The author did a great job bringing the variety of characters to life. As I read the book, the details made it easy to image the terror the refugees felt as they were fleeing violence all around them. Sepetys tells a story that shows how everyday people from both sides of the conflict are caught up in the middle of the violence. It sheds light on an aspect of the war that often gets lost among the other horrible atrocities that occurred during World War II.

Ellen | 2136 comments I liked this one quite a bit too. It was a completely different aspect of WWII for me.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7471 comments I enjoyed this book too. It was the first I had ever read by this author, I now have a few of her other books on the towering TBR.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Lewallen (susanlewallen) | 479 comments Thanks for a nice review. This has been on my TBR list since I read Between Shades of Gray. I'm waiting until I can bear something terribly sad though. This isn't the time.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Salt to the Sea (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ruta Sepetys (other topics)