Paper Lantern Writers Read! discussion

Book Discussions > First century recommendations

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda, Aloha E Komo Mai (new)

Linda Ulleseit (lindaulleseit) | 40 comments Mod
Here's a list to get us started. Have you read any of these? Which did you like best? https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 2: by Linda, Aloha E Komo Mai (new)

Fiction here set in early Christian times...I really enjoyed Barabbas. It's the crucifixion of Christ told from the point of view of Barabbas, the thief pardoned instead of Jesus.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca D’Harlingue | 2 comments I love the Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis, set in the first century in Rome. Falco is smart and kind-hearted, though sometimes cynical. He's not perfect, but oh, can he solve mysteries!

message 4: by Linda, Aloha E Komo Mai (new)

Rebecca wrote: "I love the Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis, set in the first century in Rome. Falco is smart and kind-hearted, though sometimes cynical. He's not perfect, but oh, can he solve mysteries!"

this is a new one to me! I'll have to check it out.

message 5: by Ana (new)

Ana Brazil (panab) | 4 comments Mod
Kelli Stanley has two books in her Roman Noir series. I've read THE CURSE-MAKER, which takes place in Bath (before it was Bath) in 84 AD. Really good history; really good mystery.

https://kellistanley.com/roman-noir/

message 6: by John (new)

John Schwartz | 2 comments Here's a new fiction in A.D. 73 when the Romans discover that Jesus the Hasmonean king of Israel is hiding in a remote fortress overlooking the Dead Sea with one thousand of his followers and Jewish zealots, they surround the mountain called Masada. Realizing they are doomed to die when the siege takes place, Jesus and his wife, Mary Magdalene, write a scroll describing his early life, how he became King of Israel, his relationship with God, and how he survived crucifixion to live to almost 80 years old. Nineteen hundred years later, deep within the Vatican, the scroll is discovered and its many secrets are revealed. This fiction book is creating a lot of discussions among Christians and Jews.
The LIE That Changed THE World.

message 7: by Linda, Aloha E Komo Mai (new)

John wrote: "Here's a new fiction in A.D. 73 when the Romans discover that Jesus the Hasmonean king of Israel is hiding in a remote fortress overlooking the Dead Sea with one thousand of his followers and Jewis..."

Perfect for this category! I'll have to look into this one.

message 8: by John (new)

John Schwartz | 2 comments Hope you learn this is an action and adventure book. In A.D. 73 when the Romans discover that Jesus the Hasmonean king of Israel is hiding in a remote fortress overlooking the Dead Sea with one thousand of his followers and Jewish zealots, they surround the mountain called Masada. Realizing they are doomed to die when the siege takes place, Jesus and his wife, Mary Magdalene, write a scroll describing his early life, how he became King of Israel, his relationship with God, and how he survived crucifixion to live to almost 80 years old. Nineteen hundred years later, deep within the Vatican, the scroll is discovered and its many secrets are revealed. The book is now on Amazon or my website with my other 4 books: https://www.booksbyjohnschwartz.com