Self-Published Only Club discussion

The White Prince
This topic is about The White Prince
Featured Authors > Author Of The Week

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Abby Snodgrass | 512 comments Mod
Alright, since we just selected our October BOTM, this weeks featured author will be Matt Horton.

To start, I reached out to Matt on IG and he joined our group today so that when we are reading The White Prince next month, he'll have a thread going where you can interact with him directly and ask him questions as you go. I'm really excited about that, and glad that Matt agreed to do it!

If you haven't already, be sure to follow Matt Horton on IG https://instagram.com/matthortonautho...

And check back throughout the week as we get to know SP author Matt Horton!

message 2: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Brown | 47 comments That's cool. Looking forward to getting to know the author before I read his book. Great idea, Abby.

message 3: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Baker (themelbaker) | 75 comments Yay!

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt Horton Hi everyone! Just wanted to take a second to say hello. Happy to be here!

Matt wrote: "Hi everyone! Just wanted to take a second to say hello. Happy to be here!"

Hi Matt!

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Baker (themelbaker) | 75 comments Matt wrote: "Hi everyone! Just wanted to take a second to say hello. Happy to be here!"

Hello Matt

Matt Horton (Featured Author Of The Week) was gracious enough to participate in an interview. I sent ten questions, and I really enjoyed reading his responses. I'll be posting them gradually throughout the week. So be sure to check in as we learned all about Self-published author, Matt Horton.

Question 1: What is your favorite thing about writing?

Answer 1: Honestly, getting to explore different worlds and places, and to stretch my imagination. I love storytelling.

Question 2: What made you want to be a writer?

Answer 2: I was inspired to write by reading a book by Ted Decker called "Skin". I loved his writing style. I knew I wanted to publish a book when I was in the 7th grade after a woman at our church put out a book, so I wrote a story but nothing ever came of it.

Question 3: Did you always know that you would self-publish?

Answer 3: No. I attempted to query literary agents for quite some time before deciding that I needed to self-publish. It is a lot of work, but definitely worth it.

message 10: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Baker (themelbaker) | 75 comments This is neat that he agreed to do an interview. Love the responses and can't wait to see more!

message 11: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Question 4: Do you have any other books published?

Answer 4: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-te...

He has quite a few and I'm going to work on getting them added to our bookshelf.

message 12: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Question 5: Are you working on anything right now, and if so, can you tell me about it?

Answer 5: Yes. A few things, but the one I'll highlight is called "Wake" and has to do with a 39 year-old physical therapist in the 80's who has recurring dreams about the brutal murder of a family. He soon discovers that the family is real and that these aren't just dreams, so he believes it is his duty to protect them.

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Baker (themelbaker) | 75 comments I didn't realize he had released so many. That's awesome!

message 14: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Brown | 47 comments Oh wow! I'll check them out.

message 15: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Question 6: What is your favorite book of all time?

Answer 6: The Bible 😉 Hatchet, and A Murder For Her Majesty were my favorites growing up. I'm not sure I have a favorite (as weird as that may be) but I really enjoyed Mari Lu's Legend Series. Very well done.

Question 7: Who is your favorite self-published author?

Answer 7:
Arly Carmack
Ellie Aiden

message 16: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Brown | 47 comments I really like Ellie's debut book. BUt I'm not familiar with Arly so I'll check it out.

message 17: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Question 8: How long did it take you to write The White Prince? And how old were you when you started?

Answer 8: I began the story in September of last year & finished it in June of this year. I was 31 when I began.

message 18: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Question 9: Where did the idea for The White Prince come from?

Answer 9: 100% Pinterest inspired. I was scrolling through fantasy art and decided that I wanted to write a book on it. The idea came from The Lion King, actually. I also wanted to tell a story but wanted it to be a prince story, because there are so many princess stories. Nothing wrong with that, but I wanted to tell a different type of fantasy story.

message 19: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

You are so right. Princess led stories are a dime a dozen. It's refreshing to see something different and I can't wait to start reading.

message 20: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

And for fun....What's your favorite color?

Answer: Green (Forest) and Blue.

Trana Mathews (tranamathews) | 72 comments Love reading this interview. Thanks Abby and Matt :)

message 22: by Lanaloubooks (new)

Lanaloubooks | 20 comments Great interview. I like getting to read this before I start The White Prince

message 23: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm so excited to announce our next featured author is PK Morrison. Author of Micah's Goodbye Check back next week for her interview, & a giveaway! Woo-hoo!

message 24: by Lanaloubooks (new)

Lanaloubooks | 20 comments Yay!