Austenesque Lovers TBR Challenge 2020 discussion

Group Activities > Dusty Shelves Scavenger Hunt - October

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 698 comments Mod
Ready to up the stakes on your reading challenge? Need a little extra difficulty to attack your book pile? Then, do join us.

Sophia will post up a Scavenger Clue (theme) from those submitted by the members and that will determine what you choose to pull off your shelf (or the local library's shelf) to read.

This will be a difficult (but not too difficult) challenge in that your book has to meet two qualifications.
1. It has to match the Scavenger Clue Theme.
2. It has to have been published over 2 years ago.

That's right! We're aiming at those oldies, but goodies that have been left behind to gather dust for the bright and shiny newer releases.
Any format may be admissible.

The Theme This Month is Fall Color-Loving and Spooky Reading

By this I mean that you can choose a book with an autumn seasonal scene, autumn colors, or a book that strikes you as spooky.

Leave a comment by October 1st if you're planning to participate and what book you are considering for the challenge. Then, you have the month of October to get it read.. Feel free to drop in during or afterward with thoughts on your book pick.

Hope you 'Fall' for a good one!

message 2: by Sophia (last edited Sep 12, 2020 10:36AM) (new)

I'm leaning toward Falling for Mr. Darcy by KaraLynne Mackrory for this one, but I've probably got a stack that would qualify so we'll see what I end up with. :)

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) KaraLynne Mackrory is always a good choice for spooky reading! (At the charming end of the spooky spectrum.)

message 4: by Kirk (last edited Oct 06, 2020 11:08AM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments I'm taking part in Victober...which is quite scary for me!!! Especially given how I feel about Victorian writers(looking at you Chuckie and the three very twisted English sisters!!!!) I'm hoping to work in Northpoint Chalet here.
Northpointe Chalet (Austen Series, #4) by Debra White Smith

Ugh...DNF @ 29%

message 5: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Sophia wrote: "I'm leaning toward Falling for Mr. Darcy by KaraLynne Mackrory for this one, but I've probably got a stack that would qualify so we'll see what I end up with. :)"
Tempting!!!

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Oh yes, some of those Victorians can be some hair-raisers, Kirk. :)

What a great way to describe Karalynne's writing, Abigail. :)

message 7: by abmom (new)

abmom | 19 comments Great idea. I agree with Abigail about Karalynn but since I've read all her books except the latest one, I'm choosing "All Hallow's Eve" by Wendy Sotis.

message 8: by Sophia (new)

I remember that one. Perfect pick, Abmom!

message 9: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 236 comments I am in and going for spooky; An Unnatural Inheritance by Virginia Brand has been resting comfortably in my library for a year and it was released in 2017.

message 10: by Sophia (new)

Ooooo! That's a new one to me. Glad you could join, Elin!

message 11: by Momtoten (new)

Momtoten /Cherith Boardman | 80 comments I wish I'd read this challenge yesterday, for I would have held off on my afternoon read until October. (I read the Ruby Cross by Dawn R on darcyandlizzy.com: VERY spooky if anyone is looking for an idea).

I am uncertain that I have anything in my TBR list that qualifies. Unless I go for a mystery? Is that spooky?

message 12: by Sophia (new)

Momtoten wrote: "I wish I'd read this challenge yesterday, for I would have held off on my afternoon read until October. (I read the Ruby Cross by Dawn R on darcyandlizzy.com: VERY spooky if anyone is looking for a..."

A mystery will work or anything with a fall color on the cover. Glad to know about your spooky reading find. :)

message 13: by writer... (last edited Sep 26, 2020 11:53AM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 110 comments Fall colour + mystery loving reader here.. will check books once I'm at home 🍁

Found 2 unread Stephanie Barron novels so far..
And I may be joining Kirk with this one...
Northpointe Chalet by Debra White Smith Northpointe Chalet

message 14: by Momtoten (new)

Momtoten /Cherith Boardman | 80 comments Sophia wrote: "Momtoten wrote: "I wish I'd read this challenge yesterday, for I would have held off on my afternoon read until October. (I read the Ruby Cross by Dawn R on darcyandlizzy.com: VERY spooky if anyone..."

If mysteries work - I don't know about colours, because my kindle is black and white - but on Amazon I think I can see some brown and grey on the cover, I suppose I shall choose Carie Berbis, Deception at Lyme.

message 15: by Sophia (new)

Momtoten wrote: "Sophia wrote: "Momtoten wrote: "I wish I'd read this challenge yesterday, for I would have held off on my afternoon read until October. (I read the Ruby Cross by Dawn R on darcyandlizzy.com: VERY s..."

No worries. If you've got a mystery, don't worry about checking the covers. :)

message 16: by Dana (new)

Dana (danarlynn) | 21 comments These Dreams A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Nicole Clarkston

I'm going to try this book. The idea of everyone believing Darcy is dead, and Elizabeth seeing him in her dreams, strikes me as scary spooky.

message 17: by Sophia (new)

Yeah, either of those two being dead is terrifying. :)

message 18: by abmom (new)

abmom | 19 comments That is one very good book Dana! Very different!

message 19: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 236 comments Dusty shelf scavenger hunt is done and dusted. Loved the book, even though I am not a fantasy fan, this magical rendition of Pride and Prejudice was enchanting. 5*

An Unnatural Inheritance: A Pride and Prejudice Variation https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 20: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Elin wrote: "Dusty shelf scavenger hunt is done and dusted. Loved the book, even though I am not a fantasy fan, this magical rendition of Pride and Prejudice was enchanting. 5*

An Unnatural Inheritance: A Pri..."

Great!!!

message 21: by abmom (new)

abmom | 19 comments I finished All Hallow's eve by Wendy Sotis and it was very much in keeping with the theme. I liked it. It was very different. I liked the entire Bennet family. I especially loved the famous Catherine De Bourgh - Elizabeth confrontation. It was devilicious. If you haven't read it and you are a fan of the fantasy genre, I would recommend it. I felt that the final confrontation of Elizabeth with the evil force could've been more descriptive and dramatic. It sort of felt too short. Otherwise, good read.

message 22: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Sounds like fun, abmom! You’ve moved it up on my TBR.

message 23: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 110 comments Found the perfect choice on a browse of library shelves and liked it as much as i'd hoped.. Midnight in Austenland (Austenland, #2) by Shannon Hale by Shannon Hale

Thanks for the fun hunt!

message 24: by Sophia (new)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. You picked a good one, writer. :)

message 25: by writer... (last edited Oct 20, 2020 07:39PM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 110 comments Sophia wrote: "Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. You picked a good one, writer. :)"

Always a reading treat when our find is a win 😉

message 26: by Sophia (new)

In a bit of a rush to get a book done for this month's challenge, I cheated a bit and read a short story, A Nightmare on Grosvenor Street by Karen M. Cox.

Whew, that scenario counts as scary stuff even without a ghost or vampire in sight. :)

message 27: by Momtoten (new)

Momtoten /Cherith Boardman | 80 comments That one is a good one, Ms Sophia.

Sorry that I have vanished lately. October got crazy busy as I helped two of my children move - including one convoluted move, across multiple state lines (including New York), trying to avoid COVID mandated quarantines, all whilst editing TWoP.

But I did manage to squeeze in my October book read: Deception at Lyme, by Carie Berbis. I still think Highbury is my favourite, but this one was as good as the rest of the series. I now only have Sanditon left.

message 28: by Sophia (new)

Super on all counts, Momtoten!

I can't imagine such a move across states at the moment so I'm glad it's behind you and your child. Hope the edits went well and you got through any snags in the book easily.

Yes, that was a good one in the series. I still have Sanditon left, but that is from a weird quirk of mine that doesn't want to read the last book in a series because then it's over.

I'll be wishing you a less eventful November. :)