Hardboiled American Crime and Worldwide Noir Fiction discussion

Genre Considerations > Male Dominance

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (last edited Sep 12, 2020 12:23AM) (new)

Dan I would like to put this right on the table from the start. I am well aware of the fact that the article I wrote for this folder describing the hardboiled genre, its scope, and especially its authors, fails to include (so far) a single woman. What I don't know is what to make of this fact.

I am not happy about this exclusion. I hope that perhaps as time goes on we might discover some overlooked female authors who contributed to this field that we can give exposure to. I will certainly be on the lookout for them. For the time-being though, I can only write about what the source material provides. Please don't shoot the messenger!

message 2: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 2 comments I concur with Scott

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5 comments Margaret Maron wife of Ross Macdonald wrote what may be seen as noir. All of her books are being rereleased.

message 4: by Dan (last edited Sep 24, 2020 10:10AM) (new)

Dan Alan wrote: "Margaret Maron wife of Ross Macdonald wrote what may be seen as noir. All of her books are being rereleased."

Thanks for introducing me to Margaret Maron. That's quite a cover on her most popular work: Bootlegger's Daughter. I'm not sure how hardboiled this author is, but her work in the mystery genre certainly interests me, especially because it's set local to me here in South Carolina.

Two Envelopes And A Phone I'm under the impression that Ross MacDonald was married to novelist Margaret Millar. And Millar often wrote in the Noir/Hardboiled genre.

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan Two Envelopes and a Phone wrote: "I'm under the impression that Ross MacDonald was married to novelist Margaret Millar. And Millar often wrote in the Noir/Hardboiled genre."

Her Beast In View looks like it's right down our alley. I hope someone nominates it for a read next year!

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5 comments Sorry,you are correct-I meant Margaret Millar. All of her work went out of print but they’ve been rereleased over the past few years. They are coming out with her short stories in a few weeks.

Hardboiled American Crime and Worldwide Noir...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bootlegger's Daughter (other topics)
Beast In View (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Margaret Maron (other topics)