MagicalNet discussion

Mexican Gothic
This topic is about Mexican Gothic
book club > Sept 2020 Adult Book Club: Mexican Gothic

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chloe36) | 8 comments Mod
Talk about the 18+ book club book here for the month of September! Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Jennifer (antoniosvivaldi) | 3 comments I've read Mexican Gothic a couple months ago. I really enjoyed the lush cultural backdrop and the foil between the 2 main female characters. My full review could be found under this link.

I might get around revisiting this book later this month since I came across a few thought provoking reading group questions on Mexican Gothic which I want to answer!

micaela ✵ (micaela_sandhiya) | 2 comments gonna paste my mini review from discord

i think story wise the plot was interesting but not expanded on enough. like i personally felt that the plot only picked up towards the end of the book and then everything happened very quickly, and I would have preferred if the reveals and what not had been kind of hinted at or discovered in smaller pieces from the first quarter of the book. I also felt that noemi’s character could have been better explored, like it was always kind of hinted at or implied (at least to me) that she has this potential to be sneaking around and finding stuff out for herself, and I wish we’d seen more of her investigating instead of the same issue of her being worried about catalina and suspicious of virgil. overall it was a good book, but I think i’m a little miffed about how much more it could have been.

message 4: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire (mizzdestiny) | 2 comments I'm only about 65 pages into Mexican Gothic but I have to agree with Mic! the prose is really, really pretty and the atmosphere is :chefkiss: But where's the plot?? Everything so far feels like a reference to the genere.