Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Looking for Recommendations > Cozy mystery 50 States Challenge

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cozy Reads (new)

Cozy Reads (onlycozyreads) | 0 comments I’m working on a challenge to read a Cozy Mystery set in all 50 States of The United States. I can’t find ANY cozy mysteries that are set in Delaware... does anyone know of any books?

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 913 comments Cozy Reads wrote: "I’m working on a challenge to read a Cozy Mystery set in all 50 States of The United States. I can’t find ANY cozy mysteries that are set in Delaware... does anyone know of any books?"

Hi, I just posted a response in the Cozy Mystery group, but I'll share it here, as well. Two series that I know of: The Pet Palace series, as well as the Whodunit Antiques series.

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 11 comments That sounds like a great challenge! Have others in the group done this and how did you get on - could you find a book for every state?

When I first read it I thought it was a state for each letter of the alphabet but that would be impossible wouldn't it - but could you do it for towns, or are they mostly fictional names I wonder?

I'm from the UK and this would be a great way to improve my knowledge of US geography!

message 4: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 111 comments I have trouble finding cozies for North and South Dakota.

message 5: by Meg (last edited Sep 12, 2020 11:30AM) (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 913 comments Ruth wrote: "That sounds like a great challenge! Have others in the group done this and how did you get on - could you find a book for every state?

When I first read it I thought it was a state for each letter..."

Hi, Ruth: I'm not sure where Cozy Reader's challenge is located, but a couple of challenge groups I belong to put them out most years as a yearly challenge. I love them and hope they do them again next year. Check in December when the challenge groups start posting the 2021 yearly challenges. You also ask here again if you don't find one.

The challenge is one book for every state. A few states are more difficult, to say the least. Utah, North and South Dakota, Delaware are usually tough. I've found books for them but it really took some digging.

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 913 comments Tari wrote: "I have trouble finding cozies for North and South Dakota."

Yea, they are! Fortunately I found a couple with some real digging. If the challenge comes up again next year ask me and I'll look up my old challenges for you.

message 7: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 111 comments Meg wrote: "

Yea, they are! Fortunately I found a couple with some real digging. If the challenge comes up again next year ask me and I'll look up my old challenges for you."

Oh I still haven't found a North or South Dakota for this year yet LOL. I keep thinking I made a note of at least North somewhere but now I forget where lol. Anything you could find would be awesome, Meg, thanks!

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 11 comments Meg wrote: "Hi, Ruth: I'm not sure where Cozy Reader's challenge is located, but a couple of challenge groups I belong to put them out most years as a yearly challenge. I love them and hope they do them again next year. Check in December when the challenge groups start posting the 2021 yearly challenges. You also ask here again if you don't find one...."

Thanks Meg, I'll look out for it.

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 913 comments Tari wrote: "Meg wrote: "

Yea, they are! Fortunately I found a couple with some real digging. If the challenge comes up again next year ask me and I'll look up my old challenges for you."

Oh I still haven't f..."

Oh, ok!

I'll get back to you in a few minutes....

message 10: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 111 comments Meg wrote: "Oh, ok!

I'll get back to you in a few minutes...."

Awesome! Thanks, Meg!

message 11: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 913 comments Here's what I have, Tari:

North Dakota
John Bayer - The Way The Rhubarb Crumbles (A Kirby, North Dakota Mystery) (enjoyed this one, can't find more)

Dorothy Dayton - Death in Dakota (Buffalo Butte Mysteries)

South Dakota
Anne Charles - The Deadwood series (paranormal mystery) (I've followed this series since the start)

message 12: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 111 comments Thanks, Meg! That's great, I sure appreciate you looking. I'm writing those down (and hope I don't lose them!) And I just remembered a series from South Dakota. I had this one written on a note: Professor Prather series by Mary Angela. :) Thanks again!

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 913 comments Tari wrote: "Thanks, Meg! That's great, I sure appreciate you looking. I'm writing those down (and hope I don't lose them!) And I just remembered a series from South Dakota. I had this one written on a note: Pr..."

You're welcome!

Who do you have for Utah? Just curious.I series I used last year ended, unfortunately.

message 14: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 111 comments For Utah, I used Bookman Dead Style book 2 in Dangerous Type series by Paige Shelton, but you’re right if that’s the series you’re talking about. It ended, so I have one more year out of it—if I keep doing the challenge lol. The one I do is Lori’s blog so yeah I probably will 😊. There’s also the challenge in either this group or the other cozy group. On my iPad and can’t really tell lol.

message 15: by Heather L (last edited Sep 13, 2020 11:43AM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 13 comments This is an on-going challenge in the Cozy Mysteries group (the “other” cozy group, lol). While the discussion is not reposted annually, it is left open-ended so members who want to try it can choose their own start and end dates. While some are able to complete it in a year, it took me two years, in part because I read across different genres and usually only manage between 85 to 100 books a year.

When I did this challenge a few years ago, Delaware. Nebraska, and the Dakotas were the hardest to find. While I tried to use only cozies, I ended up using a couple non-cozy mysteries for a few states. I used a romantic suspense for Delaware, She'll Never Know by Hunter Morgan, which I stumbled across at a used book store. It’s book two of a trilogy, but I didn’t feel I missed anything.

For North Dakota I used Dakota by Martha Grimes, which was a much grittier mystery. For South Dakota I used Funeral Food by Kathleen Taylor. For Nevada I had another mainstream mystery, A Perfect Evil by Alex Kava.

The “Stop, You’re Killing Me” sight has a location index, but they don’t have much listed for the “problem” states, either:

http://stopyourekillingme.com/Locatio...